Using 'touch and hold' doesn't work on xoom
tll85

When typing on the xoom I am not able to use the 'touch and hold' to bring up anything i.e.: the other smiley-faces (there's supposedly 15 of them), foreign language equivalents, fractions, etc.  I have tried everything from changing the language to Spanish to get the symbols to appear over n or e but nothing happens even when I change the language.  When touching and holding a key nothing pops up like it should.  I have an android phone and it works fine on the phone but on the xoom its like this option doesn't exist.   Is there something I need to enable or activate, or is something blocking this function from working?

Any help would be great!

Thanks

0 Likes
Re: Using 'touch and hold' doesn't work on xoom
21stNow
Master - Level 1

Which keyboards are you using on the phone and XOOM?

0 Likes
tluihn

I guess it would be considered the default keyboard on both. Its the only keyboard installed on the devices, I call it the Android keyboard.

Hope that helps.

0 Likes
jmccoy70
Contributor - Level 2

Xoom appears to provide Touch and hold functionality for the Vowels, S, C and /. Android 3.x appears have done away with numbers across the top row. That seems to be true for colornote as well as here in the forums.

0 Likes
21stNow
Master - Level 1

Oh, OK.  I haven't used the stock keyboard since I first got the XOOM.  I use Swype, and touch and hold works on that keyboard.

Have you searched on Google's forums about this?  It may be a funtionality that they forgot to include in the Honeycomb keyboard, since the XOOM itself is capable of this.  You mentioned that it works on your phone.  Google tends to make changes to the keyboards between Android versions.  You would have to have a different keyboard on your phone, since Honeycomb doesn't exist on phones.

0 Likes
tluihn

Oh my gosh Swype is AWESOME!! i have it on my phone, i love it, lol!  So, yes you're right it is a different keyboard on my phone, sorry.

I i'll have to look into the Google Forums about it then, I was even reading the Xoom for Dummies book and it tells you to 'touch and hold to get the special characters' but it doesnt do it...So, even Xoom for Dummies is wrong!

Thank you!

0 Likes
21stNow
Master - Level 1

You could sign up for Swype Beta and have Swype on your XOOM, since you like it on your phone.  The link is below:

http://beta.swype.com/

0 Likes
Re: Using 'touch and hold' doesn't work on Xoom
KinquanaH_VZW
VZ Employee Emeritus

Thanks for the information and suggestions everyone. tll85, I would also like to point you towards the user manual of your Xoom for the Tips & Tricks section. I have listed some below for use of the Touch and Hold option and link.

In your User Manual under Tips & Tricks  you will find these directions:

• To move or delete something on the home screen, touch and hold it, then drag it to another spot, another panel, or the trash can in the upper right corner.

• Touch ?123 / ABC to toggle between letters and numbers. Touch "MORE" to see more special characters.

• Hold Shift (arrow up) to enter capital letters until you release it. Double-touch Shift (arrow up) for caps lock.Touch it again to unlock.

This link is for the simulator:

http://search.vzw.com/?market=53520&q=xoom&p=null&ss=null&b2eFlag=N

Listed below is a link for the device manual:

http://support.vzw.com/clc/devices/index.html?p=5606

0 Likes
rockyp

I have been unable to use any method of "caps lock" on my Xoom.  I have tried both "hold down" and "double tap" to no avail, as well as changing settings.  I am using the standard Xoom screen keyboard.

Any suggestions?

0 Likes
jmccoy70
Contributor - Level 2

It started working for me.  Not reliabley, but it does work.

It works if I Double Talp with my left thumb.  Not if I Double Tap with my Right Fore Finger.???

Probably has to do with how fast I Double Tap.

0 Likes