Why is Verizon not honoring their extended warranty to the Motorola XOOM?
GhostHendrikson

I got a letter today informing me that this entire time that I have been signed up for TEC for tablets through Verizon Wireless has been in error. Starting October 2011 I will no longer have an extended warranty on my XOOM. 

I called Verizon Customer Service and spoke with a rep. She confirmed this was only happening with the XOOM. Needless to say this is upsetting news. As a XOOM owner I am really tired of getting the short end of the stick. When I pressed for an explanation she informed me that all insurance decisions / questions are handled through Assurion. I tried to explain to her that I was not seeking information about a Insurance question. I wanted to know why VERIZON would no longer honor the extended warranty on the XOOM. But would continue to offer their extended warranty to customers who owned different tablets. 

This is unacceptable and has really begun to erode my faith in both Verizon and Motorola. 

0 Likes
Re: Why is Verizon not honoring their extended warranty to the Motorola XOOM?
TheProtagonist

Wow this really surprises me. I mean Verizon and Motorola attempting to screw over xoom owner's again... what a surprise. I've pretty much had it with being screwed a xoom owner... I think I should post something about that actually... 

0 Likes
GhostHendrikson

Agreed. It's literally the worst tech purchase I have ever made. And look I know the risks of being an early adopter, but it's never been this bad. I have been a Motorola Cheerleader (Verizon too!) for a long time. But I have lost my patience. My next Android phone will defintley not be a Motorola. 

As much as it makes me sick to say this, I honestly regret not buying an ipad 2. Either that or waiting it out for the Galaxy.

I am going to be calling again too, because I want an official explanation from Verizon on this. Not having an extended warranty on new tech like this is just asking for trouble.  

0 Likes
demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3

This is actually not surprising on a high-end device (especially one that is quite easily hacked out of the box).  I know it was AT&T, but you couldn't even buy insurance with the original iPhone.  Sometimes, the amount you pay monthly does not make it financially feasable for the carrier (or possibly the manufacturer) to offer an extended warranty, especially on a product, unlike a cellphone, that most people may not be replacing every two years.

0 Likes
GhostHendrikson

Demmo your explanation does nothing to justify why it was only the XOOM and not the other tablets offered by Verizon that are losing the extended warranty. I find it very hard to swallow the excuse of financial feasability especially when the letter says the whole thing was an "error". 

0 Likes
demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3

That says to me that the error was offering the warranty in the first place.  It doesn't sound like they wouldn't honor the warranty, just that they will be stopping it.  You may want to make sure that they stop charging you for this, but they really don't have to offer an extended warranty if they don't want to.  Maybe this decision goes all the way back to Motorola, and that is why other tabs may have the option for an extended warranty, and also could explain how this may have been missed by Verizon.  Now, if you had tried to use the warranty before being notified and they denied you, that would be a different story.

0 Likes
dave_flagg
Enthusiast - Level 3

I got my letter today. Now i am not as worried as i was when i first started to read this thread. We just don't have the extended coverage beyond the first year. But as long as we continue to pay for the Asurion coverage we are still covered for loss, damage, theft. I thought it meant we were only getting back $1.99 per month for something that we paid $10.99 for but were not covered. Still not great that we don't have the extended malfunction insurance but better than nothing. Have to look into the others offering insurance to see if there is a better deal. Still have the malfunction coverage until the end of my one year though.

0 Likes
JMC2543

http://mediacenter.motorola.com/Press-Releases/Motorola-XOOM-4G-LTE-Upgrade-Available-Tomorrow-3810....

The upgrade is NOW OFFICIAL from the Horse's mouth (Moto). Here is the press release that was put out today. We will be getting the upgrade starting tommorow.

0 Likes
dave_flagg
Enthusiast - Level 3

lets not get too carried away now. we will get instructions about how to do it then the boxes will start showing up. we have to see how fast it goes. glad it will start soon but it wont happen tomorrow! hope it goes fast though and happy it is finally here.

0 Likes
JohnB_VZW
Verizon Employee

On behalf of Verizon Wireless I would like to apologize to everyone for any inconvenience caused due to the extended warranty being offered in error to customer purchasing the Motorola Xoom as of February 2011. Verizon Wireless does not offer an extended warranty option for Motorola XOOM; however, the device is covered under Motorola's XOOM manufacturer warranty for one year.

Affected customers were sent written notification by direct mail in September 2011 which included an explanation of the credits that will appear on their bill, if appropriate. Customer affected will receive a credit for the $1.99 they were billed every month since they added the extended warranty to their Motorola Xoom.

Please keep in mind that the both the standard insurance and extended warranty is a service offered by Asurion and we have no information as to why they have not provided the extended warranty option for the Motorola Xoom. We want to assure you all that if you have the standard insurance on your Xoom, you are still covered for loss, theft and damage under the Asurion’s Wireless Phone Protection for Tablets program. 

If you have any further questions or would like to discuss your account in details, please contact us at your convenience at 800-922-0204. We're available seven days a week 6AM to 11PM CST and will more then happy to address your concerns.

Thank you all for your understanding.

0 Likes