Wifi strength/performance on Razr M significantly reduced once updated to KitKat/4.4.2
ahp103
Enthusiast - Level 2

Has anyone had any luck with restoring the WIFI capabilities on their Razr M after upgrading to Kit Kat? WIFI still technically works, but its range is significantly reduced since receiving the latest Android update. Now, the phone's WIFI is either unable (or barely able) to connect to previously established networks (b/c of weak or no signal).

Is there a patch forthcoming to resolve this? Within other discussion threads, I've read trying a factory reset might resolve the issue...?

Labels (2)
0 Likes
48 Replies
BillW
Enthusiast - Level 3

Post says WiFi and network problems fixed with September push of 4.4.2   My experience just the opposite, seems like every "upgrade" has degraded function of RAZR M, but the September 9 push has caused major problems on both RAZR M's that my wife and I own.   Battery life much shorter, phone runs hot at times, phone resets randomly, text messages sometimes take forever to receive, WiFi and data downloads extremely slow.   Verizon is there a fix for this available or planned?    How do I talk to a rep about the problem?   Chat just offers me useless, how to use your phone links.

joslinr
Enthusiast - Level 1

A week ago I started having issues with my Droid Razr M; Amazon quits working, screen icons changing, etc. I installed Microsoft's OneDrive and my SD card became unreadable (had to reformat on my home PC). So I did a factory reset and reinstalled apps with the 4.4.2 Android OS update.

Now I cannot use both wireless and bluetooth (sees my home wireless but won't connect). Battery life is getting bad (down to 85% in 2 hours of it being on but not used) when I could go all day before and not get below 50%. This is not a user issue; this is caused by the OS update pushed by Google in the Android update. I've done soft and hard resets and ran the phone with no additional apps installed and it still performs the same.

Solutions?

0 Likes
joslinr
Enthusiast - Level 1

BTW:  one work-around I found (I use my phone for business so it is ESSENTIAL to making a living) is to turn off bluetooth, connect to wi-fi, then turn on bluetooth.Unfortunately I have a 150MBs wireless router and my connection is at 24MBs.

gumbi47
Enthusiast - Level 2

Your router may support up to 150mbs download but it will only be as fast as the internet speed provided by your service provider. Time Warner's turbo is 25mbs, extreme is 30mbs and wideband is 50mbs. Unless you are paying for those speeds through your service provider then 24mbs sounds good.

0 Likes
redneck65674
Enthusiast - Level 3

I'm experiencing the same behavior with my Razr M.  I can connect to my home WiFi IF I turn off Bluetooth.  Once I turn Bluetooth on, it drops the WiFi.  I have tried EVERY SINGLE ONE of the recommendations for user correction of the problem.  No, I'm not going to reset my phone AGAIN.  (Bluetooth HAS to stay on, period)

This is a Kit Kat problem, when is Motorola going to fix it?

0 Likes
redneck65674
Enthusiast - Level 3

FOLLOW-UP!  Earlier this week (9/09/14), Motorola and/or Verizon pushed up a new update for my Razr M.  Most (if not ALL) of the issues that I've experienced since the Kit Kat update have been resolved (specifically, WiFi connects normally even with Bluetooth on, battery life is back to normal).

Thanks to Moto/Verizon for finally fixing this!

0 Likes
mossmaniac99
Enthusiast - Level 1

I just had my Razr M replaced by Verizon because of poor wifi reception, which only started after the kitkat update.  When I received my new phone, it came with the Jellybean (4.1.2) installed and the wifi reception was great!  I had a good connection (67 Mbps) and applications requiring network connection were fast.  Within an hour I was getting notified that the KitKat update was ready to install so I let it update.  Once that was completed, my wifi reception was back to the same poor speed as before (12 Mbps).  My phone was in the same spot in my house but yet, drastically different link speeds.  I know this is not a 'Verizon' issue and more of a Motorola issue, but do I have to just deal with this until November when my contract is up?  Please advise.

MiltNK
Enthusiast - Level 1

Since updating to KitKat, cell phone reception and Wi-Fi reception are both terrible, and battery life is decreased. The local Verizon Wireless store tech support said there is no way to remove KitKat. I loved my Droid Razr M before the update. I hate it now.

In addition, the home screen letters are smaller and much harder to read. The battery level indicator does not show on the home screen. The notification for text messages no longer opens the message. The original messaging app did not receive complete messages from certain senders, so I had to install Verizon Messages. I can no longer delete more than one conversation or message at a time. They must be deleted individually -- a waste of my time.

Someone should have tested this upgrade before releasing it. At the very least, we should be provided with instructions to uninstall it.

wmess

I had posts 17 and 19 in this string. Phone still seems to be ok except for weaker signal strength. It re-acquires the wifi and battery life is back to pre-update. After reading the posts and my own experience I think that my issue was app related. I forgot to mention that I also went through each app via Settings - Apps and cleared cache as well as data. One app seemed to be responsible for my battery heating up and powering out. For me it was Any Do. After a restart it seemed ok. When the contract is up, Android is out. Nowhere on this forum or Moto Care have I seen a fix for Razr M.

0 Likes
tonymorris10
Enthusiast - Level 2

Wilton,

Any updates on this issue?  I am sitting 15 feet away from an access point @ work and my Razr M can't connect.  i had the same issue with my home network last night.

I turn airplane mode on, then back off and I can connect for 5-20 minutes, then the signal drops and I have to repeat the process.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I'm sorry to see that you continue to experience WiFi connectivity issues tonymorris10! I had similar connectivity issues after latest software also and I resolved with a factory reset. Give it a try http://vz.to/159Lipc please make sure to UNCHECK Automatic Restore at step 3.

AntonioC_VZW
Follow us on Twitter at www.twitter.com/VZWSupport

0 Likes
tonymorris10
Enthusiast - Level 2

I completed 2 factory resets with the automatic restore unselected.  No change in performance (or lack there-of), although it was a huge waste of time to reset everything up....twice.

If I want wifi to connect, I have to turn airplane mode on, then back off.  Then wifi will connect and work...for about 30 seconds.  After that 30 seconds, wifi may, or may not, still show connected.  If it does show that it's connected, no data traffic will pass at all, and my phone is worthless as it won't try to transfer data via 4g at all.  If I am streaming something on Netflix, I can watch it only so far as the video can buffer in the aforementioned 30 second window.  After that, I must do the airplane mode trick.

Also, I am a senior network engineer at a hospital with over 20 years experience in troubleshooting network problems, so I fired up a wireless sniffer to capture packets between my phone and the wireless access point.  Capturing these packets proved what I stated above.  I can see 2 way traffic between the phone and the wireless AP.  Then at some random point around the 30 second mark, all traffic from the phone just 100% stops, even if the wifi icon shows me still connected, there is no traffic coming from the phone at all.

Please tell me someone in Verizon KitKat development team is working on this?  This situation is bad enough to make me want to switch to T-Moble and just let them pay off the rest of my Verizon contract so I can have a functioning phone.  I have already made the call to T-Mobile.  If this isn't resolved in 1 week (that's June 5th), T-Mobile will have my business, which is sad since I have been w/ Verizon for well over 10 years.

The sad thing is that, I am certain I will have to may for any overages on my monthly data plan when I go over it.

Good testing Verizon...you should work for the Government.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

@ahp103,

I can definitely understand your frustration. You mentioned you performed a hard reset twice without the auto restore. Did you later install any other apps? Is the issue with all wifi connections or just a specific one? Is the phone connected to any other device via Bluetooth? If so, make sure it is not set to automatically sync with the bluetooth and see if that helps with the wifi connection issues you are experiencing.

JohnB_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
ahp103
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi John,

I haven't installed any apps since performing the factory resets. I'm now 100% stock.

I'm experiencing weak Wifi signal across all Wifi access points. Prior to the kitkat update, signal strength was strong on, for example, my home or work networks. Post kitkat update, on the same networks, signal strength is weak and spotty.

Bluetooth radio is off.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for trying those steps, ahp103!

Is your device connected to a Bluetooth device or is your Bluetooth feature enabled at the time you're experiencing this problem with WiFi?  Let me know so that I can further assist.  Thanks!

AnthonyTa_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
ahp103
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi AnthonyTA,

No -- bluetooth is off when trying to establish wifi connections. in fact, I haven't enabled Bluetooth at all since wiping the device.

Thanks.

0 Likes
gpjfh84
Enthusiast - Level 2

I had all of these issues and more, Motorola replaced my phone I spent 6 hours getting the new one back like I wanted it now kitkat is trying to download on my new phone. Is there any way to stop it.

0 Likes
gpjfh84
Enthusiast - Level 2

Oh by the way they are aware of the problems but continue to put it out.

0 Likes
Tulmaster
Enthusiast - Level 2

Okay I guess I should express my dislike for the KK update along with the rest.  My phone is a Droid Razr M.  While my issues are far more than just text messaging, I use that feature the most so of course I see all the problems with it.  Again someone tried to re-invent the wheel rather than simply trying to polish it up a bit.  Here are my complaints, some minor and cosmetic others are function problems.

1.  Back ground color changed from black to white and print now is black instead of white.  I don't need to see the persons icon on every text exchange in the thread and I certainly do not need to see an icon for myself.

2. the message indicators both on the clock circle and at the bottom of the screen do not disappear after reading the text.  I have to go back in and then not just exit, but back out of the whole thread through each screen and then manually flick the message icon to make it disappear. I never had to do any of this before in JB.

3.  Is an issue many are suffering through with texts and pictures not going through.  It took me a while to figure it out, but it has happened to me before with JB and it was fixed, again someone did not check their history as the problem has been repeated.  I restrict my phone number on out going calls.  All the people I care about and text, I unblock it with *82 in the contact list.  So when I pull up a contact to send them a pic or txt so does the *82.  The new and unimproved messenger does not recognize the additional digits and while it may say that it has sent the message and may try to send it for a longer period of time before putting a time stamp on it, in reality the message or picture has not be sent.  I had to go to all those contacts and add a duplicate number, one without the *82 so that I could pic that one for txt messages. 

4.  Voice texting feature is gone!! I use that alot and now it is no where to be found and though I have tried I can't get it back.  Speech to text is check but the function is no where to be found in the messenger.   I use the basic google messenger.  I tried the other new one but could not even get it to activate.   Now I am not one to use a lot of features on this phone, I use about 25-30 MB of data a month total, so I am sure others will find more features that have problems.  Even So, given the chance I will revert back to JB as soon as I can get my phone unlocked and rooted I already have the JB files.

One thing that seems to be universal that is a real pain is that in most cases you can't turn off an app without actually uninstalling it.  Additionally in most cases the updates are never explained and requests to perform them keep popping up.  I should be able to say no and not have to say it over and over!  I would like control over how my Messenger looks and feels as I use it.  Okay enough ranting

0 Likes
tonymorris10
Enthusiast - Level 2

AnthonyTa_VZW,

Please read the last line of ahp103's post #34.

0 Likes