Will Verizon Navigator work when driving?
geoffw
Enthusiast - Level 2

Whenever I talk on the phone, my screen is obscured with an alert that says mobile data is not available. So the phone is useless for using Google Maps when driving and talking on the phone. Will Verizon's Navigator work when I'm driving and talking on the phone?  I'm guessing Verizon will never be able to get Advanced Calling working for the Moto X, but would gladly pay if Navigator works while I'm talking on the phone

0 Likes
Re: Will Verizon Navigator work when driving?
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

I know for a fact on the Moto X 2014 that phone calls and Navigation will work at the same time from personal experience. I received a call while running the Navigation and during the call, the directions for turning at the next intersection was called out. It actually made it difficult to hear the caller's voice and what they were saying. Yes there wasn't any data signal to allow the Navigation app to recalculate the route if I took a wrong turn, but I wasn't expecting to get lost.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
geoffw
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks. That's fine if I'm on a short phone call. But if I'm on a long conference call and miss turns because I'm talking and can't hear the directions, it sounds like the Navigation is basically useless without a data signal. I'm sometimes on long calls while driving, which is why I'm looking for a nav app that will actually work on Verizon's network at the same time.  If anyone can confirm the Navigation app will work and continually recalculate routes while I'm talking on the phone, please let me know, because that's what I really need and am willing to pay Verizon for

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

I was referring to the Google Navigation app in my earlier post.

One option you can pursue is downloading a navigation app that you can download the maps to the phone. One suggestion would be the Here maps by Nokia.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
geoffw
Enthusiast - Level 2

I think all the nav apps will do that, but they can't reroute without talking to a server somewhere.  And can't update traffic.  I need something that can reroute me if I miss one or more turns, or freeway offramps, or get on the wrong freeway, while I'm talking on a call.  That's why I was wondering if the Verizon Navigator app works differently than Google, Nokia and the others.  I'm starting to think it doesn't work when talking on a voice call also

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

Nokia HERE Maps does not require a data connection if the map is downloaded and will reroute with no data needed.  Also free and I personally use it over Google Maps since I have a low data allotment. 

0 Likes