Wood grain backing not an option...?
Rednomad

I just walked into the VZW store and upgraded to a MotoX. They emailed me a redemption code for the Moto Maker. When I use that redemption code, the wood options for backing are not there. VZW store and support tells me it's not an option if you buy the phone through Verizon. But if I buy through Motorola, I would have the option. Anyone else have this experience? Or were you able get wood backing when you upgraded your phone?

0 Likes
Re: Wood grain backing not an option...?
billhong
Enthusiast - Level 3

I recently got my Moto X through the Motomaker site, precisely because trying to do so on contract through VZW meant that: 1) I could not get the wood back (it is an additional $25 charge regardless); 2) I could not get the 32 GB version.  You also could not get one with a wood back or with 32 GB using Verizon Edge either.  Consideration 1) was a matter of taste for me, but not getting the larger storage would have been a dealbreaker.  I took advantage of a sale that had been going on at Motorola, and decided to simply buy the phone outright.  This means not getting a subsidized phone on contract, so it is more expensive.  But I could get the wood back customization I wanted, and the larger storage, AND I applied to Motorola credit and will pay off the phone in 12 monthly installments, no interest.  PLUS, I'm not on contract anymore (but am staying with my family's data plan, no changes there) so I can change phones when I like. You can also retain the insurance through VZW, if you prefer.

Remember, even if you upgrade on contract, the phone will be cheaper but you will still have to pay a $30 upgrade fee regardless.  I was able to avoid that fee as well by going this route, which to me was a virtual discount.  

0 Likes