Xoom Bluetooth Limitations
jmccoy70
Contributor - Level 2

On Droid  X I can Bluetooth tiles back and forth DX to PC and Back

On Xoom Bluetooth seems to be limited to Playing music stored on Xoom on PC and Using Xoom as a tethered telephone for use in making telephone calls from the PC via the Xoom.

I would like to be able to move files from PC to Xoom and Back and to Move files DX to Xoom and  back.

What am I missing?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Xoom Bluetooth Limitations
Mark_Venture
Contributor - Level 1

PMJI,

The Xoom lacks Bluetooth OBEX FTP.

OBEX FTP has two parts... client and server...

You can use your OBEX FTP Client (bluetooth equipped PC) to obtain a file and folder listing on the server (in this case XOOM), and "download" the file from the Server to the Client. Or "upload" a file from the Client to the Server. When transfering this way, you can specify the TARGET folder for the file transfer (i.e. what folder location the transferred file ends up in).

In FTP, the Client initiates the transfer.

What does that mean?  Well, if you pair your Xoom and PC, you can't use your PC's Bluetooth to browse or Explore files on your Xoom,  and drag/drop files from the PC to Xoom or voice versa.   i.e. you can't directly access folders and files on the Xoom across Bluetooth from your PC.  

The Xoom does support Bluetooth OBEX OPP (Object Push Profile).

When doing OPP, you select a file on the sending device (your XOOM), then pick your target deivce (PC, etc)... and it transfers... The receiving device decides where to put it... i.e. if the reciving device see its a JPG file, it will end up in pictures...  Or in some cases, on PC's with Broadcom/Widcomm drivers, every thing ends up in Bluetooth Received Files folder.

In OPP, the sending device initiates the transfer, and can NOT see the files/folders on the receiving device.

So you can PUSH or "send to" or "share" some file types between your Xoom and other bluetooth devices that also have OBEX OPP.  When you push files from your PC to the Xoom,  since the receiving device determines where to put them based on the file type, the XOOM will save them where IT wants to.

Becaues of OPP support, you can push files from your Xoom using any file manager, usually tap/hold on the file, and "share" via bluetooth, pick the destination device.  But again, due to OPP, you will likely be limited to certain file types (like pix, mp3 files, certain video files, etc).

I'm not sure about GB on the X, but I do know the Driod X with Frioyo didn't support OBEX FTP,  only OBEX OPP, but I used Astro File Manager, and its bluetooth module to do OBEX FTP with my PC.    Trying that same trick (Astro and its add-on BT module) doesn't work with the XOOM.

jmccoy70,  what you typed on 6/25 about "sharing" a video file  via the gallery is an example of OPP.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
DionM_VZW
Verizon Employee

It doesn't sound to me like you're missing anything. The device is designed to support file transfer via Bluetooth. I'm hesitant to speculate on what might be preventing you from doing this. Do you see some kind of error message when you try to transfer or does the device act as if it is transferring only to later show no files arriving at their destination?

0 Likes
jmccoy70
Contributor - Level 2

Thank you for you response

I have Windows Vista

Xoom      Bluetooth turned On

Droid X   Bluetooth turned On

If I optn Bluetooth on Vista I see two Bluetooth devices DroidX and Xoom

Single Click either one and I see that they are Connected and Authenticated

Double Click DroidX and I see four options Play music, Use DX to make a phone call from PC, Send files to DX and Browse files on DX

Double Click Xoom and I see Two options Play Music and Make a phone call.  I also see an error message No FTP Server found on Device

So I can not move files back and forth from Xoom to PC or from PC to Xoom.

But I can

Move files from Droid X to PC an from PC  to Droid X

Xoom seems Broke Smiley Happy

0 Likes
DionM_VZW
Verizon Employee

I apologize for the delay in my response. I have tested Bluetooth file transfer from Xoom to a Samsung Fascinate and was able to successfully send and receive songs and pictures very effectively. If you're not seeing these as options, it is possible that the transfer protocols may not be immediately obvious to the eye. I recommend trying it this way:

Pair the two devices. Go to either your music files or your gallery to select a file (song or picture). Press and hold on the file name. You should get a pop up menu offering you the option to share the file. Select via Bluetooth. That's how I was able to do it!

0 Likes
jmccoy70
Contributor - Level 2

Thanks for the Response

That is not what I wanted to do.

I have Dell Laptop with Music, DroidX with Music, Xoom with no Music

If I turn on Bluetooth on all three devices and go to the Laptop

I can see the Xoom and the DroidX

If I click on the DX I see four options 1.Listen to the music stored on DX 2.Make a phone call using the DX on the laptop 3.Browse the DX 4.Send files to the DX

If I click on the Xoom I get a message FTP server not found and the first two options (listen to Music or Make a phone call)

Need help with getting the Xoom Bluetooth FTP server to work.

Thank you for your help

0 Likes
jmccoy70
Contributor - Level 2

OK Making Progress.

Connected the DX to the Xoom via Bluetooth

Opened Gallery on DX, Long Pressed a Video File and shared it via blue tooth to the Xoom

Took a long time but it did transfer and played on te Xoom

Now just have to figure out how to do it outside of Gallery.:smileyhappy:

0 Likes
Mark_Venture
Contributor - Level 1

PMJI,

The Xoom lacks Bluetooth OBEX FTP.

OBEX FTP has two parts... client and server...

You can use your OBEX FTP Client (bluetooth equipped PC) to obtain a file and folder listing on the server (in this case XOOM), and "download" the file from the Server to the Client. Or "upload" a file from the Client to the Server. When transfering this way, you can specify the TARGET folder for the file transfer (i.e. what folder location the transferred file ends up in).

In FTP, the Client initiates the transfer.

What does that mean?  Well, if you pair your Xoom and PC, you can't use your PC's Bluetooth to browse or Explore files on your Xoom,  and drag/drop files from the PC to Xoom or voice versa.   i.e. you can't directly access folders and files on the Xoom across Bluetooth from your PC.  

The Xoom does support Bluetooth OBEX OPP (Object Push Profile).

When doing OPP, you select a file on the sending device (your XOOM), then pick your target deivce (PC, etc)... and it transfers... The receiving device decides where to put it... i.e. if the reciving device see its a JPG file, it will end up in pictures...  Or in some cases, on PC's with Broadcom/Widcomm drivers, every thing ends up in Bluetooth Received Files folder.

In OPP, the sending device initiates the transfer, and can NOT see the files/folders on the receiving device.

So you can PUSH or "send to" or "share" some file types between your Xoom and other bluetooth devices that also have OBEX OPP.  When you push files from your PC to the Xoom,  since the receiving device determines where to put them based on the file type, the XOOM will save them where IT wants to.

Becaues of OPP support, you can push files from your Xoom using any file manager, usually tap/hold on the file, and "share" via bluetooth, pick the destination device.  But again, due to OPP, you will likely be limited to certain file types (like pix, mp3 files, certain video files, etc).

I'm not sure about GB on the X, but I do know the Driod X with Frioyo didn't support OBEX FTP,  only OBEX OPP, but I used Astro File Manager, and its bluetooth module to do OBEX FTP with my PC.    Trying that same trick (Astro and its add-on BT module) doesn't work with the XOOM.

jmccoy70,  what you typed on 6/25 about "sharing" a video file  via the gallery is an example of OPP.

0 Likes
jmccoy70
Contributor - Level 2

Mark Thank you for the comprehensive response. I am an old person a VIG to boot So it will take several readings to comprehend all that you have written. Thanks again for your response. My work around was to download the bluetooth file transfer app, which gave me the ftp function that I was looking for.

0 Likes