Xoom hotspot connected devices limited to less data transfer?
XCore

I am confused about something using my Xoom as a hotspot for my additional devices. The salesperson insists that even if I have the 10GB plan that the hotspot devices are limited to 2GB.

This doesn't seem logical to me:

A) Why would VZW care as long as I pay the bill?

B) If true, is the 2GB limit per external device or a total of all data transferred to external devices?

C) WTHeck!?

Thank you in advance if you can shed some light on this.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Xoom hotspot connected devices limited to less data transfer?
rayz336
Enthusiast - Level 2

I was under the impression that you could hotspot all your data on your Xoom to other devices. I didn't think it was limited b/c I thought only smartphones had the limited mobile hotspot.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
21stNow
Master - Level 1

Yes, when you pay the additional $20 for the Mobile Hotspot service, there is a limit of 2GB for data used in Mobile Hotspot.  This would include data transferred to all devices, not on a per device basis.  The 10GB of data is for use on the XOOM only.

As far as why VZW would care, my thoughts are that they don't want the data transfer from your phone to become the broadband access point for your whole house or neighborhood.  Their issue isn't whether are not you can/will pay for it, but whether or not it will overload their network.  My thoughts are speculation only, as I don't know the reason behind the limit.

0 Likes
rayz336
Enthusiast - Level 2

I was under the impression that you could hotspot all your data on your Xoom to other devices. I didn't think it was limited b/c I thought only smartphones had the limited mobile hotspot.

0 Likes
XCore
Thanks for the replies.

I was under the same impression as rayz336. Unlike a phone, I am paying for a data plan much like a mobile broadband device, in my case, the 10GB plan. Also, I don't pay a $20 hotspot service and when I turned it on in my Xoom settings, I think it was working but I'll have to confirm that later when I get home.
0 Likes
21stNow
Master - Level 1

I apologize.  I didn't mean to provide inaccurate infomation.

I looked around VZW's website and cannot find a definitive answer on this.  I tried the Mobile Hotspot on my XOOM.  It seemed to let me set it up and my phone detected it.  However, my phone would not connect to it.  I tried different configurations with no success.  I think that it may be because of my fluctuating 3G signal where I am now.  I'll have to try again in another location.

0 Likes
Not applicable
Your Xoom is going to share your 10GB data plan with any connected devices. You can use your total 10GB for $80 across any connected device. There is no additional fee or 2GB limit.
0 Likes
LenaA_VZW
Verizon Employee

Thank you everyone for the information provided. The 10GB Mobile Broadband plan allows you Internet access directly from the Motorola Xoom. This usage can not be shared with other devices. We offer a Mobile Hotspot feature that allows 2GB for $20.00 per month. The overage rate is $20.00 for each additional gigabyte. This feature can be added on My Verizon by signing in your account, click on Change features, select the Motorola Xoom, add the feature, then submit. To view the Mobile Broadband plans go to www.verizonwireless.com/mobilebroadband. 

Thank you,

0 Likes
Not applicable
Your link doesn't work for me, but nowhere in the Mobile Broadband plans does it say that. The 2GB data plan is an add-on for smartphones with a $29.99 data plan. The Xoom does not meet that definition as it is a tablet. If you are correct, I definitely will not be buying a Xoom. I tried one out for a day or two and returned it, but have considered buying another one when it becomes 4G capable and the 4G network is more reliable. I would use the Xoom to replace my 3G USB760. However, not if it requires a $20 tethering plan of only 2GB for my laptop. I hope you are mistaken.
0 Likes
Not applicable

LenaA_VZW wrote:

Thank you everyone for the information provided. The 10GB Mobile Broadband plan allows you Internet access directly from the Motorola Xoom. This usage can not be shared with other devices. We offer a Mobile Hotspot feature that allows 2GB for $20.00 per month. The overage rate is $20.00 for each additional gigabyte. This feature can be added on My Verizon by signing in your account, click on Change features, select the Motorola Xoom, add the feature, then submit. To view the Mobile Broadband plans go to www.verizonwireless.com/mobilebroadband. 

Thank you,

Don't type a period at the end of your links. www.verizonwireless.com/mobilebroadband
0 Likes