crashed Xoom
mkbrdy

I had the Xoom for 2 hours and it completely crashed. Tech support couldn't restore it so i took it back to the store. Verizon charged a $70 restocking fee since the couldnt prove that i didnt break it somehow. Better than being stuck with a 2 year useless data plan i guess. I wrote a critical but honest review of the product giving it low stars and guess what, the review never appeared. Apparently 5 other "users" reviewed the product though and gave it a full 5 stars. Good for them! Im skeptical!

0 Likes
Re: crashed Xoom
rcschnoor
Legend

mkbrdy wrote:

I had the Xoom for 2 hours and it completely crashed. Tech support couldn't restore it so i took it back to the store. Verizon charged a $70 restocking fee since the couldnt prove that i didnt break it somehow. Better than being stuck with a 2 year useless data plan i guess. I wrote a critical but honest review of the product giving it low stars and guess what, the review never appeared. Apparently 5 other "users" reviewed the product though and gave it a full 5 stars. Good for them! Im skeptical!

I'm guessing if you didn't even try to get your Xoom replaced(afterall, you may have gotten a lemon), that you didn't really want a Xoom in the 1st place. That way you wouldn't have had to pay the $70 restocking fee.

$70 to test drive a product is pretty steep.

Additionally, it normally takes a couple of days for reviews to show up on the website. This website will go several days without any new reviews for a device and then get a bunch all at once from the past several days. No reason to believe that your review won't show up in the next day or two. Not that you really spent that much time with the Xoom to be able to give a good hands on experience. Not much more than someone just hanging out in the store for an hour and playing with the thing.

0 Likes
mkbrdy

I could have been convinced very easily, just a lot of negatives from the start.  Graphics were more pixilated than I thought they should be in an HD world and several apps that I commonly use didn't fit the screen.  Taken in whole I decided better products would be on the market soon enough. 

0 Likes
kazetsukai
Enthusiast - Level 3

The hardware is here, the software needs some improvement though. In the browser, if you zoom out enough, text and images can appear pixelated, and apps do crash from time to time. But overall I'd say the experience is superior to the competition.

I'd scream bloody murder if I was demanded $70 for a replacement, $70 sounds more like a 10% restocking fee to me. It isn't legal to charge this if you have a defective product

Regards

0 Likes
reallyniceguy
Contributor - Level 3
I would call back and ask for a supervisor. Why are you being charged a 70 dollar restocking? Exchange it for another one. Have them inspect it. Unless you tried to root it then yea. Honestly did you?
0 Likes
BruceLewisRN

I understand all too well... However my problem isn't with Verizon. My XOOM tablet crashed within the first 3 months, unfortunately too late to return it. I was able to get the tablet up and running again after a complete factory reset, and over an hour on the phone with Motorola tech support. My biggest problem is the tablet crashed again less than a month later. Neither the Verizon Technical staff or me could get the tablet to power up, so off to the factory it went. Got it back from Motorola, and the 3g /4g part of the tablet didn't work, so another trip into town... and low and behold the Verizon Technicians could not get the 3g/4g to function either, and while working on the XOOM... you probably guessed it ...  it crashed and would not power up at all... so back to the Factory AGAIN.

I have spoken with Motorola about this Xoom Tablet at least a half dozen times.... there response is, "It will be repaired and sent back to you in a timely manner"  My point is I have had this product for less than 6 months and it has been functional for less than 6 weeks. Motorola couldn't be bothered to simply replace the tablet the second time it failed.

Its not like I haven't been a loyal Motorola customer since 1980's when I started using their Private Band Radios, and I currently own 3 other Motorola products... This had shed a bright light on their attitude toward there customer service relations... Once you buy a Product from them... you are stuck with it...

0 Likes