drained battery cannot be charged
EastBayGrease
Enthusiast - Level 2

Received my DROID Turbo three days ago and proceeded to allow the battery to drain down until the phone shut itself off, then I charged it back to 100% using the supplied Turbo charger. The battery charged back to full capacity fine the first time, but after allowing the phone to drain down the second time, the battery is not charging. I tried a conventional USB charging cable which tested fine with an older DROID3, but that one wasn't able to charge the DROID Turbo's battery, either. The new phone's screen remains blank and never shows any charging status indicator, nor does it get the slightest bit warm like it does when it's charging normally.

Labels (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: drained battery cannot be charged
GalaxyClass
Master - Level 1

It sound as if you may have gone below you phone's cut-off voltage with the deep discharge to your new battery. Try to restart the phone in a safe mode to reduce app use and voltage/current draw.  Do this while the original AC Droid charger is plug in to your device. The standard USB charger will not be able to supply the high inrush current now needed. This may give you the voltage kick you need to restart the charging cycle. If your battery has been too deep cycled you will need a new Li-ion battery.

View solution in original post

GalaxyClass
Master - Level 1

It sound as if you may have gone below you phone's cut-off voltage with the deep discharge to your new battery. Try to restart the phone in a safe mode to reduce app use and voltage/current draw.  Do this while the original AC Droid charger is plug in to your device. The standard USB charger will not be able to supply the high inrush current now needed. This may give you the voltage kick you need to restart the charging cycle. If your battery has been too deep cycled you will need a new Li-ion battery.

EastBayGrease
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks, this worked! It booted up and is now happily charging using the OEM DROID Turbo charger.

EDIT: I did have to hold down the power and volume-down buttons a bit longer than 10 seconds, but the second time I tried, it worked.

GalaxyClass
Master - Level 1

FYI >  never take a new li-ion that low on any charge cycle. Try this charge rebuild cycle 2 times per month for your Droid.

Li-ion batteries needs to have a rebuild charge from time to time. Do a full 6-8 hour charge with device in sleep mode, next run it down to about 45-50 % and then a 4-5 hour charge. After that use your Droid and take it down to 30%. Another 6-8 hour charge and then down to no lower then 15-25% and one more full 8 hour charge. At that point your battery should be rebuilt back to a normal life cycle.  Glad to hear your good news, enjoy that phone.

EastBayGrease
Enthusiast - Level 2

@GalaxyClass, thank you again. I will try your suggested charge rebuild cycle.

0 Likes
GalaxyClass
Master - Level 1

Glad to help ... and thank you..  Smiley Happy

0 Likes