wifi turns off
sbell234

My wifi will not stay on..even when close to the router. I switch it on and then a few seconds later it shuts off.......any ideas?

0 Likes
Re: wifi turns off
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
sbell234,

Lets get that Wi-Fi stabilized so you can connect without worry! When did this issue start happening? Any significant event such as a software or app upgrade happen right before it started?

SarahO_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!
0 Likes
stevevetter
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am having similar problems. I almost never use wi-fi. I pretty much turn it on when google+ won't auto-sync a large video I recorded. The closest thing I could pinpoint to a change that could have prompted this is when I got a sneak OTA of 4.4.4  .

This had to be fairly recent as I noticed the slight changes to the camera app fairly recently as well.

0 Likes
stevevetter
Enthusiast - Level 2

It is actually worse. My bluetooth radio is doing the same thing. I'm not a frequent user of bluetooth, but that narrows it down to the last 2-4 weeks. I haven't made any real changes in that time that I recall. I don't think I've added apps, though I allowed plenty of upgrades. I suspect many might have been prompted by the 4.4.4 upgrade that was pushed to my phone?

Any way somebody from VZW can investigate whether there are other cases of 4.4.4 messing up the wi-fi and/or bluetooth of 1st gen Moto X phones?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
stevevetter, making sure that you have working WiFi through your Moto X is very important. Do the connectivity issues occur with all tested WiFi routers? If you have a router at home, is there any difference if you set the broadcast signal to just B & G, or just N? Does your phone maintain a connection that way?

Also, just to confirm, is your routers firmware fully updated as well? Sometimes this can help resolve these type of issues. Especially if other devices can connect with no problems.

Please keep us posted.

NicandroN_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!
0 Likes
stevevetter
Enthusiast - Level 2

You misunderstand the issue. When I try to turn on Wi-Fi (and now Bluetooth I discovered) it never turns on.

With both radios I toggle on the connection and the display goes to on (but remains gray) until it times out and his back to off.

I don't use Wi-Fi much so I didn't know when this happened but if the same problem is at the root of the Bluetooth issue as well then this was within the last 3 to 4 weeks from my first post.

I never consciously noticed when 4.4.4 was pushed out to my phone but it seems similar timing.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Got it! I do apologize for the missundeertanding stevevetter. Let's see what is causing your WiFi to turn off on its own. Are all your applications up to date? When was the update done to your phone? Even though the toggle is grayed out, are you still able to choose a Network? Try placing the phone in safe mode and retest  http://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-83017/ .

JorgeO_VZW Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
stevevetter
Enthusiast - Level 2

well I don't know WHEN the 4.4.4 was pushed out. It wasn't like a normal OTA with all the notices and warnings and such. I've had my phone reboot itself for no known reason a few times over the past 6 weeks, but that's not completely unusual.

By coincidence, I had an OTA update available TODAY. I don't know what it changed (baseband, kernel, etc.) but it still shows itself as Android 4.4.4

After the update, the Wi-Fi and Bluetooth radios 'appeared' to be improved. I could turn them on. Wi-Fi started to see ssid's and BT showed previously known devices. I couldn't connect to my wi-fi though and then when I was trying to connect BT to a new device it tried for a while and then the phone rebooted itself. Since then, wi-fi and BT are doing the same thing; won't turn on and doesn't see ssid's / BT devices respectively.

0 Likes
stevevetter
Enthusiast - Level 2

Same behavior in Safe Mode.

0 Likes
stevevetter
Enthusiast - Level 2

well the upside to trying that safe mode thing out is it made all my screen widgets go away Smiley Sad.

0 Likes