Military discount
spooky2018
Enthusiast - Level 1

I think people need to be aware that when Verizon only gives military discount of 15% to the PRIMARY line and only 12% if you get a data package. It's not 15% across the board. Also, if you get a family plan, the military discount is NOT applied to any additional lines or additional data packs. All I'm saying is shop around, I probably would have gotten a better deal if I had purchased two separate lines and data packs so that I could get the discount on BOTH lines instead of just one. The store clerks don't make that clear when you sign up in stores and now I'm stuck.

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
Re: Military discount
mdram4x4
Champion - Level 1

spooky2018 wrote:

I think people need to be aware that when Verizon only gives military discount of 15% to the PRIMARY line and only 12% if you get a data package. It's not 15% across the board. Also, if you get a family plan, the military discount is NOT applied to any additional lines or additional data packs. All I'm saying is shop around, I probably would have gotten a better deal if I had purchased two separate lines and data packs so that I could get the discount on BOTH lines instead of just one. The store clerks don't make that clear when you sign up in stores and now I'm stuck.

the discount only applying to the primary line is true of corp discounts also

SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader
And the discounts are negotiated by the corporation/organization - it varies from company to company. For instance, I get a 15% discount on my primary line through my employer, but it does not apply to any data plan add-ons, ONLY the voice portion.

Others get larger discounts, and they also include data plan discounts. As mdram4x4 said, employee, corporate, and other discounts normally apply to the primary line only. If you do the math, you probably are better off with a family plan at $9.99 a line, vs at least $34.99 for an individual line; even discounted.
gblesternc
Enthusiast - Level 1

The military discount for active duty personnel is a lie. My son was on Alltel before Verizon took over and when my older phone broke I was added to the account as a second line. He went to basic training at Lackland AFB, Texas September 2009 where his phone was locked up until he graduated. When it was time for him to renew his contract in December 2009 I purchased a Chocolate Touch and sent it to him so he would have it in time for his leave for Christmas. After completing his training in Texas he was given orders for Beale AFB, CA.

He and I both have mentioned the military discount to the people at the Verizon stores and he has yet to receive anything even after wearing his uniform into the stores. It would be quite simple for Verizon to have verified his phone number and active duty status in Texas and California while maintaining a North Carolina area code and phone number. When I talked to Verizon's employees today they told me he should take his deployment papers to the local Verizon store near the base in CA to suspend his service while he is gone. Our billing cycle ends on December 4, 2011 and our contract ends December 14, 2011. Since he is training out of state at the moment he is unable to leave the base until he goes back to CA on November 18, 2011. He is no longer interested in suspending his account and wants it to end. He as well as I have both been quite upset over him not receiving the discount for active duty military as advertised but now as his contract ends he will end up paying for additional days he will not even be able to use. What it all boils down to is 27 months of discounts he never received and then paying additional for days he won't even be able to access his phone.

When I signed on today I noticed it stated the LG Chocolate Touch no longer needs a data package yet he is being charge $10.00 a month for the 75MB added to his plan. I must say I do not blame him one bit for wanting to let his contract lapse and look for a different provider once he gomes back from his deployment. Maybe another service provider will honor the discount they have in place.

gblesternc

bajadreamer
Enthusiast - Level 2

I was told by a represenative over the phone that the 15% applied to any data plan over $50 no matter how many lines you have.  Does anyone know if that is true?

So if I have a family plan with 4 lines that all have data, I would get 15% off the monthly minute plan rate + 12% off of each data plan, but not off the $9.99 per line fee.  Is that correct?

Spiral
Master - Level 1

Keep in mind here that ONLY data plans with a value over $50 are eligible for this discount.  That DOES NOT mean the cumulative data plan total.  If each of your 4 lines have a $30 data plan then none of them are eligible.  At least that is how I read this.

Marks4IDMedic
Enthusiast - Level 1

WIth regards to the 15% discount on voice and 12 or 15% on data this is my major issue.  Back in Nov. 2011 I was making inquires with Verizon about having military discounts for both voice and data.  I wanted to switch from ATT to Verizon without incurring any differences in charges.  I was rest assured several times in two different cities in two Verizon Wireless Corporate stores that this was the case.  I remember one so assertively put it that there will be no financial differences as I was to pay the same exact amount.  I also called at least Verizon Wireless customer service twice to ensure all my ducks were in row prior to the switch with these specifics.

Well I made the switch got my paperwork in, no discounts until say a couple months or so.  But no data discounts were ever applied.  Called in, said I had to do it online, well I wasted my time turning in my id copy and DD214.  Not sure when I noticed but early enough to start fighting tooth and nail about this issue.  I expected the same cost as ATT as promised but to not avail.  Until finally one member had to manually enter this discount every month since it was not systematically set for whatever reason.  This whole thing is unacceptable and 10 months later after all this work, the data discount was removed and I am furious.  This is truly a breach of contract and I want this resolved one way or another.  For the matter of principle, I/we deserve this.

I don't even think Verizon Wireless is offering any discounts on the Iphone 5 as I tried to add a line for grins.  It specifically said that there would be no discounts applied to continue, so wtf else?

CoastieSpouse
Enthusiast - Level 1

I also think that Military need to know that when VERIZON states Military Active and Retired receives 15% discount it does not cover Spouse, even if the enlisted or retired person is deceased. Spouse's ID is not Valid for anything with Verizon.

My husband that has cancer had me cancel because he said if Verizon doesn't respect the spouse's ID then they don't respect me. No where does it state no spouse can be covered if the contract is in their name.