Minimum term service contract fee for a phone I no longer have
JayZonday
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hello,

So a couple weeks ago, I transferred responsibility of a phone line from my previous employer to myself.  On my first bill, I noticed a $20 Minimum Term Service Contract Fee that was added.  The representative that assisted with the transfer did not mention anything about being on a contract.  

So essentially, I'm paying to subsidize a phone that I no longer possess (I had to return it with the rest of my equipment on my last day of employment).  I feel like this process was very dishonest, as I would have made different decisions if I had known that this was the case.  

I feel a bit stuck here.  I don't want to pay for a phone that someone else will use and benefit from.  I shouldn't have an ETF if I were to cancel my service, but I was told that I'd need to return the phone to Verizon directly.  I'm lost as for my next steps here.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Minimum term service contract fee for a phone I no longer have
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello! If your employer required the device back, it is saddening to hear that they transferred the contract to you, instead of paying it off first. In that regard, we would be happy to review your account and options with you in depth. To allow us to do so, please leave us a Private Note here. We look forward to working with you soon!

*Robert

JayZonday
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks for the quick response.  

I've sent a private message including additional information.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

The minimum term service contract fee is for the privilege of transferring your phone number from the business account to your personal account. It also means there was likely an existing service contract associated with your line on business account. You must have another phone activated on that line for the transfer to have completed. It is also only for 12 months instead 24 or 36 months. 

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

One of the requirements for switching from a business account to a personal account.

• Accept liability for the line of service for the remainder of the existing contract line term.

https://b2b.verizonwireless.com/content/my-business-portal/support/howtoguides/TransferYourServiceIn...

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

althomson

I'm also in this boat, employer mandated the phone back, yet I'm left paying the $20 / month device payments. It's crazy that for bringing my own phone I have to fork out $100/month for something mint or visible offer for $25.

0 Likes