The Weather Channel
popo79941
Enthusiast - Level 2

I hate AccuWeather.......how come customers did not have a choice or a vote to keep The Weather Channel???? AccuWeather stinks, there are no REAL stories nor do the show any weather people out in the field......this is the worst, I watch the weather channel everyday. I might just think about changing my service to someone who has The Weather Channel!!! I hate this.....ugh !

1,977 Replies
kevncoll
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am a self-proclaimed weather geek.  I watch The Weather Channel ALL THE TIME.  If I had known that Verizon Fios was planning on dropping them 2 months after my husband and I re-upped our contract for 2 YEARS, I would never have renewed.  I would now be an Xfinity customer.  We have been Fios customers for well over 5 years after having nothing but problems with Comcast/Xfinity, but just this issue in itself, would make me want to switch back!!  To you large salary earning, decision making executives who have decided to not renew the Weather Channel and break off negotations, you should be ashamed of yourselves!  Look at how many of your subscribers - 79 pages worth of forum posts when I started this post, are enraged by this!!  Get off your laurels and back to negotating!!  You will be losing MANY, MANY faithful customers if this continues!  Accu-weather STINKS!

ThreeOverPar
Enthusiast - Level 1

Verizon's discontinuance of The Weather Channel is unacceptable. Accuweather is wothless. Lack of content, lack of talent, lack of boots on the ground reporting. Verizon's Programming Director is as out of touch with our needs, wants and desires as obama. Give us back our Weather Channel!

DadDudeOf3
Enthusiast - Level 1

Bring back The Weather Channel. Accuweather is sub-par, and my bill does not warrant sub-par services. Bring back The Weather Channel!!

qazwsx1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Please bring back the weather channnel.... this accu weather STINKS!! why would verizon not give us a vote after all we are paying them!

Jumpinjoea
Enthusiast - Level 1

This Accucrap is terrible.  The Weatherbug is some **bleep** idea of a way to save a buck when we are looking for Weatherscan.  Your system is complicated and keeps getting more and more user hostile.  Verizon deletes stations at will, moves stations to more expensive packages at will, and this is enough for me.  I am looking for two smart TV's and going back to Comcast for Internet only.  This bundled crap with Aljazera and 100's of useless stations that I will never watch is not for me.  Last year my cost increased $25 a month while service has deterioted. Verizon spends millions for advertising and new customers but has no plan or desire to compete and keep existing customers. I have been a shareholder for many years and finally sold my stock because of the extremely poor customer service and expensive service for seniors.

jeanann2
Enthusiast - Level 1

Verizon FIOS has clearly acted in bad faith towards it's customers by removing The Weather Channel from it's lineup without any notice to opportunity for their customers to have input.  We signed on to FIOS knowing that The Weather Channel was a part of the channel lineup and now it's not.  The Weather Channel is a basic channel and should be included in any service.  It is no different than a major network, CNN or any other basic channel.  

When I contacted Verizon by phone to find out my options, there were none. I just want to receive the Weather Channel.  I'm happy to pay more.  I am happy to cancel my TV service and keep my phone and internet service with Verizon so I can get the Weather Channel from a different carrier, but apparently, I can't even do that.  I would be charged a $200 early termination fee.  That is outrageous.  Verizon terminated a channel their basic lineup - not me!  

Bad faith and bad business practice, Verizon!  I still am looking cancel and go to Cox Communications - who does have The Weather Channel, but in order to do so, I apparently will have to loose $200.  I am hoping that Cox will start offering to pick up the termination fee in order to pick up all of the dissatisfied Verizon customers.  At least I hope so.  

1RAK
Enthusiast - Level 2

This is a public safety hazzard.

Sandraanded
Bring back the weather channel or we go to dish and by the way thanks for asking what your customers might want, lame
0 Likes
houseofrouse
Enthusiast - Level 1

I do NOT want to struggle to get an in-depth weather report on my phone!  We actually USE channel 49, especially last thing at night when planning tomorrow.  This way, if you miss the prime-time news, you're pretty much screwed.

Bring back channel 49! 

tomb6116
Enthusiast - Level 2

Again, profit wins out over customer satisfaction where Verizon is concerned.  There's no excuse for dropping the Weather Channel.  The story Verizon is feeding its customers is ridiculous.  When I get up in the morning, the first thing I do is turn on the Weather Channel to see what the LOCAL weather will be.  I don't want to have to go hunting for a devise to get online to get the weather.  I don't want to have to go to the room containing the HD cable box to open the WeatherBug widget.  I certainly don't want to turn to the new AccuWeather Network station Verizon has provided as a substitute only to see that the station is focusing on weather in cities on the other side of the country.   Yes, as Verizon states, customers can "access weather from a variety of other sources" but they can also access cable TV from a variety of other sources if Verizon continues to downgrade the service their customers want.

MrWeather
Enthusiast - Level 1
PLEASE BRING BACK THE WWATHER CHANNEL!!!!!!!!!!
GuitarGirl1
Enthusiast - Level 1

I would like to register my disappointment in the recent FiOS change from The Weather Channel to AccuWeather.  My family and I regularly consulted The Weather Channel (119) or the local regional weather channel (49) to view the radar maps prior to outdoor activities (sports, yardwork, transporting elderly relatives, etc.).  AccuWeather doesn't provide the same level of localized reporting that was available on The Weather Channel.  Additionally, The Weather Channel offers enjoyable programs about weather stories, etc., not available with AccuWeather.  During the past year, I convinced two other family members to drop cable coverage and change to FiOS.  They were both pleased with The Weather Channel, but have now called me to complain because it has been removed.  My family and I are also unhappy about this decision.  It appears that Verizon is under the impression that everyone has a smart phone that can be used for weather access, but I can attest that this is not the case.  Bad decision, Verizon.

pedroelgato
Enthusiast - Level 1

Bring back The Weather Channel.  AccuWeather is amateurish.  What with your abysmal customer service, exorbitant prices, and now dropping one of the few channels my family actually turns to almost daily (rather than the 100+ we pay for but do not watch), I am more convinced than ever to leave cable TV altogether when our contract is up.

GeneFIOS
Enthusiast - Level 2

When I first started with Verizon FIOS several years ago, it was really good and I was happy with the service and the product.  But now it's getting harder and harder to stay with FIOS in part because of decisions like dropping the Weather Channel.

Seank1
Enthusiast - Level 2
I feel a small discount from Verizon is necessary since stations keep getting removed.
keely22

Discontinuing the Weather Channel is like discontinuing CNN or NBC.  This is MAJOR programming.  It feels like a 30 year setback in informed viewing.  When hurricane season starts or storms break out, Verizon FIOS customers will not be well informed.  Local on the 8's has been indispensible.  AccuWeather is not a suitable replacement for the level of coverage we received from the Weather Channel.  Verizon, you need to back up on this one or Comcast will be flooded with new subscribers. 

0 Likes
FstFrnd
Enthusiast - Level 3
Gee, I watch FOUR (yep, that's 4) channels in the Verizon lineup and you decided to delete two of them? Now I'm really getting my money's worth, aren't I?

So I tried Accuweather (local weather comes up briefly once every 20 minutes) and the widget (half of the screen is a picture of my remote). Lame.

Nothing compares to being able to tune in whenever YOU want to see YOUR local weather or tune in to see seasoned meteorologists covering a mjor storm event.

Verizon, wake up and smell the coffee!
0 Likes
FstFrnd
Enthusiast - Level 3
Gee, I watch FOUR (yep, that's 4) channels in the Verizon lineup and you decided to delete two of them? Now I'm really getting my money's worth, aren't I?

So I tried Accuweather (local weather comes up briefly once every 20 minutes) and the widget (half of the screen is a picture of my remote). Lame.

Nothing compares to being able to tune in whenever YOU want to see YOUR local weather or tune in to see seasoned meteorologists covering a mjor storm event.

Verizon, wake up and smell the coffee!
0 Likes
vtlaurn
We are totally displeased about losing TWC! We don't give a crap about what the weather is like in Pittsburgh, PA! This channel sucks we lost all of our shows and we thought that FIOS would be better than Comcast, but at least Comcast has TWC even if they have terrible customer service! We do not want a widget we want TWC! This channel looks so cheaply done and boring. If they refuse to give us TWC back we will be switching back to Comcast even if it's before the 2 years are up! Verizon better take action and fix it now!
0 Likes
Muffy4

You are right Accweather is really bad .The weather Channel should never have been taken off . We also lost chennel 49 for local weather and radar . Maybe they should fire the excutive that made that stupid choice,

0 Likes
TaxGuyPIT
Enthusiast - Level 1

What a surprise to see the Weather Channel yanked from Verizon without notice on Tuesday. I am still waiting for the 'official notice' to let me know that it's being taken away.

My family and I tune to WeatherScan each and every day. We were actually teaching my 5 year old about temperatures, what the green or white mean on the radar, etc. Not only was it useful for planning our day, it was also the best and ONLY way to get a local forecast when you wanted and needed it. Now, AccuWeather is just a sad and insufficient replacement. (And don't get me started on that God awful WeatherBug widget...)

For the money that we subscribers pay per month, the Weather Channel is not something that should be considered disposable or a 'premium' channel. I mean, I get paying extra for HBO, Encore, etc. But to think that it costs too much to carry the Weather Channel? And if it's so expensive, why haven't Comcast, Time Warner, Dish, and virtually all of the other carriers chosen to drop it?

Up to this point, I've been extremely happy with Verizon. We've been subscribers for over 6 years, and have always enjoyed what we consider to be superior service to their closest competitor in our market. This move, however, shakes my confidence in Verizon's abilities to satisfy its customers.