The Weather Channel
popo79941
Enthusiast - Level 2

I hate AccuWeather.......how come customers did not have a choice or a vote to keep The Weather Channel???? AccuWeather stinks, there are no REAL stories nor do the show any weather people out in the field......this is the worst, I watch the weather channel everyday. I might just think about changing my service to someone who has The Weather Channel!!! I hate this.....ugh !

1,977 Replies
EricDee1978
Enthusiast - Level 3

I've been hearing stories lately that people are being told by FiOS sales reps that Verizon is in negotiations to bring back The Weather Channel.

Is this true, or is this a "bait & switch" tactic being used by Verizon to lure new customers?

I'd really appreciate it if someone from FiOS cosmic control gave me an honest answer, and not the usual scripted reply.

tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

They never officially ended negotiations.  But it doesn't sound like they are going anywhere.

EricDee1978
Enthusiast - Level 3

@tns_2 wrote:

They never officially ended negotiations.  But it doesn't sound like they are going anywhere.

I'm confused, then. There's a website out there that says efforts to reach a resolution have ended (Then again, it's said that since the 15th of April) and a couple of my friends have confirmed through contacts of their own that there are no current negotiations as of a couple weeks ago...

As I just indicated, I'm confused on what to believe... All I know is that if negotiations are indeed still ongoing, then an agreement has to be reached and soon before FiOS' lack of The Weather Channel kills someone because they can't get current information (For all you post-watching trolls out there wishing to pounce on me for saying that, I offer this: ANYTHING is possible, so show some respect & check your facts before trolling me in a reply), but if negotiations are well and truly over, then Verizon needs to stop telling people they are in negotiations to get The Weather Channel back in order to entice new customers, because it all stinks of "Bait and Switch" advertising to me.

I intend no disrespect to you at all, TNS_2. I do appreciate your reply, but experience has taught me to always be a bit on the skeptical side when not presented with pure facts...

EFFeX
Enthusiast - Level 3
Tornados across the country today and no news network covering it. This is outrageous. How are we supposed to get information on these storms?
1RAK
Enthusiast - Level 2

All these posts and letters, and yet Verizon doesn't listen. It is now time for Verizon's management team to be removed. The shareholders will speak.

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

@1RAK wrote:

All these posts and letters, and yet Verizon doesn't listen. It is now time for Verizon's management team to be removed. The shareholders will speak.

The shareholders have spoken.  That's why TWC is gone and large swaths of FiOS are being sold to Frontier.  The money is in wireless.

Enjoy.

0 Likes
SydMom

This forum seems more like a venting for individuals than anything Verizon would pay attention to.  I've been with FIOS for quite a while, and will leave as quickly as possible if they don't bring back TWC.  Verizon's customer service is the worst in the nation and if enough people leave them, maybe they'll realize how terrible they are to their customers.  They just don't care!  TWC is my #1 most critical channel... working in disaster recovery, I rely on it to get a bigger picture of the weather throughout the US and anything that could impact the Mid-Atlantic... but, again, VZ doesn't care about the safety of their customers.  AccuWeather is a joke, it DOES look like it's being broadcast from someone's basement (it gives me flashbacks for Wayne's World).

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

@SydMom wrote:

This forum seems more like a venting for individuals than anything Verizon would pay attention to. 

Ding!

These forums are for customers to help each other.  The Verizon moderators are putting all TWC related posts in this thread in order to keep the forums usable for other discussions.  Beyond that, don't count on anything posted here to have any impact on Verizon.

If you want to make a statement about TWC that Verizon will hear, cancel your service.  Everything else is just a waste of time.

Good Luck.

A1actress
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am stunned by the foolhardiness of Verizon in not renewing their contract with The Weather Channel. I am not a complainer, but what is next, no CNN???? Accuweather is an insult to my intelligence and should be an embarrassment to Verizon. As a Comcast stockholder and Verizon subscriber I am thrilled that ,with this type of mismanagement, the merger fell through. I'm sorry but if the channel is not restored I will be changing back to Comcast.

weatherdeprived
Enthusiast - Level 1

There's a reason there are so many upset customers on this website.  But who knows if Verizon will listen.  The Widgets and Accuweather are so INFERIOR  it's a joke.  Accuweather has a rotating door of announcers and no local weather.  None.  There's no local radar and the other day during a storm the local weather wasn't up to date.  I'm embarrassed for them.  All I can do is drop the service like so many others.

tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

The two things are relatively unrelated.

Verizon first decided not to renew with The Weather Channel.  Actual negotiations were not terminated, and might (very unlikely) lead to a restoration.

Having decided to not renew The Weather Channel, someone decided to do what Dish and DirecTv did (or threaten to do) and offer Accuweather in its place..

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

As Accuweather is a new channel (only onair as of Novemeber of 2014), they were probably looking for a launch network.

Given the state of Verizon's negotiations with TWC, they probably gave them a deal they couldn't refuse.

Will be intersted to see how Accuweatehr quality improves and if any other companies dump TWC and possibly pick up TWC.

bap2
Enthusiast - Level 1

Does Verizon plan to bring back the weather channel?  We rely on the information, excellent weather explanations and preparation lessons contained in their programming.  The substitute accuweather is not acceptable.  Customers should at least be permitted an option to purchase the weather channel separately.  

CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

@bap wrote:

Customers should at least be permitted an option to purchase the weather channel separately.  

Can't say if Verizon will ever bring it back.

But I am pretty sure they will not be able to offer it a la carte as that would require a contract with TWC as well as costs to provide connectivity for the content.

0 Likes
rockyddogg
Enthusiast - Level 3

The thing is when you call about it he CSR's or retemtion department can  give you no answers like Theyre negotiating" And say "we arent told anything" sounds kinda shady, like theyre not bringing it back. A great loss, and the weather chanel offered fios the same rate to renew nd fios didnt????? I wanna dump them so bad even though fios;s tv pic is betterand thier internet is faster.Cut thier Customer service sucks, they just dont care.Im thinking to leave soon, just get internet from my local cable provider and upgrade my mobile plan, drop the home ohone and tv.

0 Likes
charlesbwatson
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hopefully someone is listening!  The Weather Channel is the best weather station in the United States.  The removal of the Weather Channel from  Fios was an aweful mistake.  If you hear the voices of your customers please don't  turn a deaf ear and assume you know better their needs.  I watched the weather channel whenever i turned on my televison and the professional staff with Jim Cantore and all the other profsssional staff have  been like family over the years.  When "Jim" is doing  a report you better pay attention!  Every cable company I have ever subscribed to have carried the Weather Channel and when I came to Verizon Fios the Weather Channel was there!  Verizon says it's the best station out there, well come on  Fios bring back the best weather station out there, the Weather Channel, be a hero to faithful customers, listen to their voices.!

CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

See the thread I started that linked to article regarding channels and cable companies.

Lots of content providers are struggling with lower ratings and starting alternate access to their content.

And besides the per customer charge (the $.14 quoted for TWC) there are fixed costs as well for the cable companies (connecting to content, internal content delivery, etc). So each provider has to weigh the costs associated with content and its value to customers.

If the TWC deal would have caused an increase in the price we had to pay, how much more would people have been willing to pay? This question is going to be more commonplace as time moves on.

0 Likes
charlesbwatson
Enthusiast - Level 1

Everyone is struggling with cost but that was not the reason given for Verizon dropping the  Weather Channel.  A very positive part of Fios content was the Weather Channel, it was decent desirable progamming.  If cuts needed to made take out something worthless to viewers,not the Weather Channel!  Offer the Weather at cost if things at Verizon are really so bad, let the consumer decide weather the charge is worth it, or at least advise the paying public what the cost would be.  Verizon is not cheap !

0 Likes
chviewer

Bring back the Weather Channel!  Accuweather just doesn't cut it.  Solve whatever dispute you have and give customers what they signed up for!

0 Likes
NJ14

The Weather Channel wasn't just about local weather it's Weather throughout the states and aboard. If it were just local I wouldn't care.  However, I have family and friends all throughout the country and want to keep up with the weather in their area especially during times of dangerous spring storms and hurricane season. They are extremely good explaining what is happening in areas and when they have people on site it really helps give you a clearer picture. Further I enjoy all the special programming they do in the evening.   You just didn't take away weather information you took away valuable information.  ACCU Weather is worthless.  For the 200+ I pay each month for your service, I really think I can do better.  Oh and it would have been nice to been told ahead of time.  I turn on thinking I was going to see the Weather Channel and had ACCU.  Then today a full month after the fact, I get a letter telling me that it was no longer available.  Maybe another reason I need to look elsewhere.  Give me back the Weather Channel or seriously looking at another carrier. 

0 Likes
facets58

Verizon we are extremely unhappy with the choice to remove Weather Channel.  I do not recall being asked if I would want the change so let me place my vote now.  I would like the Weather Channel BACK!!!

0 Likes