Verizon App ignores Biometrics
sloomis7
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have used fingerprint unlock for the Verizon app for a long time.  Recently, it stopped asking for my fingerprint.  I have to enter my username and password every time.  And it never vills it in for me even with the remember my username.  I have gone around and around "Turn Touch / Face Id" on and off and following all the prompts.  It says it is turned on.  I get emails saying you have successfully turned it on.  When I try to log back into the app it never prompts for the fingerprint.  It requires the username and password to be entered.  Verizon just gets worse and worse.

1 Solution
unwiredsoul
Enthusiast - Level 3

I was able to resolve this issue yesterday on my S23.

Steps to resolve were:

1. Clear the MyVerizon cache and data storage
  2. Uninstall the MyVerizon app
  3. Install the MyVerizon app from the Google Play Store
  4. Launch the app and allow every requested permission*
  5. Choose "No" when offered Biometric login during the app., login process
  6. Go to the app., settings and observe that I am signed into my account and that the app is otherwise working normally
  7. Tap on Edit Profile & Settings
    1. The "Biometric" on/off toggle switch has reappeared and it's off
    2. Turn on the "Biometric" toggle switch and patiently wait 5-10 seconds for the Samsung on-screen fingerprint reader to display
    3. Authenticate with my fingerprint

That's it, folks. I can't explain what would cause an iPhone to stop working in the same way, but I have a theory on those of us with Samsung (Android) phones. At some point, the permission were likely altered and left the biometric function broken. It seems heavily tied to allowing location permissions "When using this app".

A situation that can cause this is if the app., is unused for some time and the phone selects the app., for "Deep Sleep". I'm fairly confident that happened in my situation even though I removed the MyVerizon app., from the list of apps., to be put in "Deep Sleep".

View solution in original post

32 Replies
JefferMC
Enthusiast - Level 2

I sort of let this thread drop because, hey, they fixed it.  I had fingerprint authentication from last October until well, this May.   Yesterday.

Nope, no fingerprint login, have to use username  / password.   No, not even that... you're locked out of your account.  You have to reset your password.  Much pain,  Many texted PINs.  Okay, f'in password reset (why?  because they had a breach too that they're not telling us about?) 

Anyway, now password reset, login to the app, I'll have to find how to set up fingerprint auth again... but NO... immediately prompts me to set up Biometrics.  I click accept the T&Cs, click Turn On.  Hangs.  5 minutes later, force the app shut, restart.  Log in (get the PIN texted to me), click accept  on the T&Cs, click Turn On.  App Hangs.  5 minutes later, reboot phone.  login (get the PIN texted to me), click accept on the T&Cs, click Turn On.  Hangs.  Throw the phone against... my palm, softly... it's not its fault.   I don't want to buy a new one.

Try again today.  Same. Thing.  

Why must they screw up such a simple thing.  I've got Payment Apps that manage to do this simple thing?  Why is it so hard for Verizon?  Are their devs just stupider?

And I don't even bother with the uninstall-reinstall cycle.  It tried that the last two times and it. MADE.  NO.  DIFFERENCE.  Other than let the person on the phone go down their check list and build up anger behind my eyeballs.   I just want to quickly log in to my app and get something done. 

@vzw_customer_support   do you have something useful to offer?  Can you fix my account... again?

0 Likes
Tech_Not
Enthusiast - Level 1

I just started having biometrics issues after years of utility. No reason I can trace. Tried all the usual tricks, un/reinstall, clear cache, clear data...im on 3 hours with very nice Verizon support folks who ran out of ideas then referred me to Samsung support, another hour. End result, Samsung says it's an app issue and to email the developers...Last tech suggested a trip to in person support at a store to have then run some kind of sync or something.  TBD.

I get notifications that bio is enabled, the toggle is green, yet nothing.

Beyond frustrating. As reported by this decades-long Verizon customer...

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Tech_Not, we're sorry about the issues you're having with the Verizon app. It definitely sounds like you've done all troubleshooting, and I don't want to suggest you try it all over again. Letting the developers know about the issues is the best way to get this resolved. You can do this in the app by e-mailing them at myverizon.feedback@verizon.com

~Jesse

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you for reaching out. At 7:50 PM Eastern Time, our VZ Community Forum support ends for the evening. We will be available at 8:00 AM Eastern Time the following day. If you still need assistance, let us know.

~Freddy

0 Likes
KBNJ123

I have the same issue now on my Galaxy S22 Ultra.  Fingerprint/Biometrics  sign in was an option in the security settings and worked for a long time but,  now,  the setting is gone and I have to manually sign in to My Verizon app eveytime,  and have to enter a security code texted to me.  I uninstalled the app and reinstalled it but nothing has changed.  This has been going on for a few months now.  Biometric sign-in works on my ios iPad app.  Just the Android app doen't work.  

0 Likes
unwiredsoul
Enthusiast - Level 3

Same issue with the Galaxy S23 in May 2024 (it started in April 2024 though). I've gone thru the same steps of clearing cache, appdata, and even reinstalling the app.

I no longer have the option of enabling fingerprint/biometrics in the security settings. I share the same experience as others of,  "logging into the app with username and password, immediately prompts me to set up Biometrics.  I click accept the T&Cs, click Turn On.  Hangs.  5 minutes later, force the app shut, restart."

As this issue covers iPhones and Android, would Verizon Customer Support please escalate this?

0 Likes
unwiredsoul
Enthusiast - Level 3

I was able to resolve this issue yesterday on my S23.

Steps to resolve were:

1. Clear the MyVerizon cache and data storage
  2. Uninstall the MyVerizon app
  3. Install the MyVerizon app from the Google Play Store
  4. Launch the app and allow every requested permission*
  5. Choose "No" when offered Biometric login during the app., login process
  6. Go to the app., settings and observe that I am signed into my account and that the app is otherwise working normally
  7. Tap on Edit Profile & Settings
    1. The "Biometric" on/off toggle switch has reappeared and it's off
    2. Turn on the "Biometric" toggle switch and patiently wait 5-10 seconds for the Samsung on-screen fingerprint reader to display
    3. Authenticate with my fingerprint

That's it, folks. I can't explain what would cause an iPhone to stop working in the same way, but I have a theory on those of us with Samsung (Android) phones. At some point, the permission were likely altered and left the biometric function broken. It seems heavily tied to allowing location permissions "When using this app".

A situation that can cause this is if the app., is unused for some time and the phone selects the app., for "Deep Sleep". I'm fairly confident that happened in my situation even though I removed the MyVerizon app., from the list of apps., to be put in "Deep Sleep".

ThePotentialCustomer

Same issue with S23 Ultra in May 2024 

Was this ever resolved ?

It only happened to me today and I can no longer use biometrics to login and I can't enable it from the login prompt or the profile settings toggle it just gets stuck loading forever.

Any help ?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We want to help you with your concern regarding our app. Is your app updated? Were any changes made to the device before this issue started? ~Peter

0 Likes
MRMUMBLES
Enthusiast - Level 1

They need to fix this already.  Getting discouraged.  May be running to the pink  telephone co.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We don't want you to leave the Verizon family, and I totally understand how frustrating not being able to sign in with your fingerprint can be. It's a very convenient feature and we want you to be able to use it. What troubleshooting have you tried so far to get it to work?

~Jesse

0 Likes
JefferMC
Enthusiast - Level 2

Similar problems here.  Having to log in each time using a password.  This has happened before, and it's very frustrating.  My other apps have nowhere near the problems with fingerprint authentication that the My Verizon app does.  Multiple bank apps among others.  Unlocking the phone.   Samsung Pay.   Why can't Verizon not mess this up?

On chat now with a  rep.  Asking me to enable Touch Id and Face Id (on a Samsung phone).   Repeatedly. Of course they're not there.  There was a Biometric option there (which was enabled, for all the good it did).  At the chat reps instructions, I did an App data /cache clear.  That made the Biometric option go away, but no other beneficial effect.  Checked that I have the latest update (updated 18 Aug, app dated 14 Aug, no newer updates available).

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We're sorry to read that you've been having issues with the app, and we'll make sure to forward this to our team, as we are always looking for ways to improve your experience. If you have any questions in the meantime, let us know, and we'll be happy to help.

~Freddy

0 Likes
JefferMC
Enthusiast - Level 2

Following up... my chat yesterday got me nowhere.  The Chat rep had me clear data and eventually uninstall/reinstall the app, which only accomplished making the "Enable Biometrics" security option disappear from the menu.

I have been Direct Messaged by support . While recapping for the rep, I discovered that the Enabled Biometrics option was again present, and off and turned it on.  After twice trying to click on the accept terms, I got a text saying Thanks for enabling biometrics and the accept terms screen finally went away.  I exited the app... still no joy.

I also note that even though the app shows that I have 2FA turned off at the moment, I'm still required to provide a PIN each time I log in.

I'll provide another update for posterity if anything else happens with this.

UPDATE:

In response to my Direct Message update, it was suggested that I e-mail the application support team, which I have.

0 Likes
JefferMC
Enthusiast - Level 2

I sent the e-mail as requested.  I've heard about as much as I expected to in return (i.e. crickets).  Finger print authentication still doesn't work.  I'd try setting it up over and over again like I did last time this happened, but since that didn't work last time until they fixed something, I don't really see the point.

0 Likes
Saltyninja83
Enthusiast - Level 2

Same issue here on my s23 ultra, my 13 pro Max works as intended with face id.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello, Saltyninja83, thank you for reaching out regarding My Verizon. What are you seeing when attempting to sign in? Do you recall any changes just before it stopped working? What troubleshooting steps have you tried so far?

-Lauren

0 Likes
Saltyninja83
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi Lauren,

I’ve had the issue since June 3rd but in a quick google search I’ve found reports on the Verizon forums going back to the beginning of May. No changes that I can think of. 

What happens is when I go to sign in every time it’s asks me to sign in despite having “remember me” checked AND having Touch ID turned on. This happens on both my android phones a pixel 6 pro and an s23 ultra. 

My iPhone (13 Pro Max) works as intended. I sign in, click remember me and turn on Face ID. When I go to sign back in it uses Face ID instead of having to sign in like on my androids.

I’ve restarted both phones, cleared cache and storage, uninstalled and reinstalled numerous times and it’s always the same thing.
0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello, Saltyninja83, thanks for letting me know. I'm sorry those steps haven't worked out for you. That's good to hear that you are able to sign in as normal. Since the Touch ID setting is not being recognized, we would recommend reporting the app bug so our app developers can work on a fix. In the app, please tap More at the bottom, then V Team Toolkit to report the issue.

-Lauren

0 Likes
Keayrs05
Enthusiast - Level 1

5 months and multiple android updates later and still no fix. You are the most expensive carrier and your supposed to have everything working for the price we all pay. Don't tell me to submit another feedback. Fix the problem or revert back to working software.