Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Activate prepaid phone on postpaid account?
Vskeptic

If I buy a brand new prepaid phone can it be activated on an existing postpaid account?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct Answers
Re: Activate prepaid phone on postpaid account?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

Vskeptic I have the answers you are looking for. Snn5 is absolutely correct about 3G prepay devices. Devices that are 4G though do not have a 6 month time frame. On a 4G prepay device you only need to have this device active as a prepay line of service for 1 month of fully funded use. Check this out http://spr.ly/6583Brpv7 What you are looking for can be found underneath My Wireless Device. Let me know if you have any questions. Always here to help.
BryanS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this

View solution in original post

Snn5
Sr. Leader

No.  Prepaid phones must be active on a Prepaid line for 6 months before they can be moved to Postpaid.

Vskeptic

Can you point me to somewhere I might reference the material on which you based your answer? I ask because lately I read that I could do so with a previously unactivated prepaid phone, and forgot to save the link. However that may have been in connection with BYOP at tracfone.

0 Likes
Vskeptic

That would be my stock answer also.

0 Likes
Snn5
Sr. Leader
0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

Vskeptic I have the answers you are looking for. Snn5 is absolutely correct about 3G prepay devices. Devices that are 4G though do not have a 6 month time frame. On a 4G prepay device you only need to have this device active as a prepay line of service for 1 month of fully funded use. Check this out http://spr.ly/6583Brpv7 What you are looking for can be found underneath My Wireless Device. Let me know if you have any questions. Always here to help.
BryanS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this

Snn5
Sr. Leader

The FAQ needs to be updated with current info.

0 Likes
Vskeptic

That clarifys things somewhat.

Thank you.

0 Likes
sprmankalel
Leader

Snn5 is absolutely correct.

Prepaid devices are set aside specifically for prepaid lines. In order to use them on a postpaid account they must be active on prepay for at least 180 days. The reason for this is so that you do not buy a new phone on a 2 ear contract then run out and buy a prepaid device at a lower cost thus skirting your contract obligation and causing loss to VZW.

UpstateWinds
Novice

The Prepaid phones are locked to prepaid service. When i bought my Verizon Wireless Prepaid Motorola G6 play, I was using Net10 on the VZW network. I tried to use the net10 sim, but the phone rejected it, saying something along the lines that the phone was sim locked and to enter a code. I had to call Verizon where, i explained the situation, and they wanted i believe 79$ to unlock the phone, but i got a great rep and she gave me the unlock code for free. Once i typed in the unlock code, the phone accepted the net10 VZW sim no problems. But i did not get wifi calling so i switched over to Verizon prepaid to use wifi calling and signed up for a month of service, I  only used this phone for like 2 weeks, when i decided to upgrade to a Postpaid account, and i gave this Motorola G6 play to someone also with a postpaid account. We went to the Verizon store to activate it, and of course at first they told me it cant be done. I told them it was unlocked, and used  on prepaid for one month, and they said let me check, they ran the phones IMEI, and it came back clean, and able to activate!  The rep told me they never saw this before, but were willing to give it a try, they set everything up, and it worked. A Verizon Prepaid Motorola G6 play on a Verizon Wireless Postpay account!. That was months ago and its still going strong.!

Short story what worked for me:
Buy Prepaid Phone
Activate a month on Verizon prepaid service on it
Call Verizon for Sim unlock code, (sometimes free, sometimes 79$)
Take Prepaid phone to Verizon store with box as they scan the box for all the numbers
Have Prepaid phone added to postpay account
Enjoy your service with no monthly phone payments!
WIFI calling, and VoLTE both work great.

Motorola Z3 on the Verizon network.
0 Likes