Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
end of navigation menu
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Another Bait and Switch
UnvaluedCustomer77

After several chat sessions over a couple of days at the end of July 2022 I finally thought Verizon had an “unlimited” plan worth giving my old grandfathered plan up for. For 3 phones & 2 watches I’ve been paying about $150/month (8gb + 6gb bonus which was normally plenty for us).  Over a phone call, on 8/1 I believe, I agreed to 2 do more plans & 1 play more plan for $45/month each ($65 - $10 for senior discount - $10 for autopay). The confirmed total before tax and surcharges was $145!  DEAL!!!  Plus a promo to trade in iPhone XR’s for free i13’s!  I went to work the next day and told my peers to check for the 55+ discount on their plans.
The phones were sent in and we received notice 8/23/22 the credits were being applied so I checked our account. To my surprise my future bills are coming in at over $200/mth!  I called customer service right away!  Eventually got to a “Sr Supervisor” named Francis who assured me that he’s “a consumer too” and understands my frustration. Francis promised to go to a supervisor workstation and call me back in a few hours that same afternoon… it’s midnight 8/26 and no call 2.5 days later! Chat support proved no better.  I got ghosted and sessions ended 3-5 times before posting this!

I shouldn’t have to downgrade to a lesser plan to get the price I was offered on the phone.  Plus, that would likely void my trade-in offer and end up costing me even more! Verizon’s actions scream BAIT & SWITCH!  I know EXACTLY what I agreed to over the phone but have no way to prove it since I don’t have access to the hopefully recorded call. Since I traded my phones in it’s as if I’m now stuck right where they want me. If this isn’t fixed, there is no way I’ll stay with Verizon and we’ve been with them 15+ years!  This is a sad way to do business but it’s obviously common practice for Verizon based how many others have similar posts in the community!  Apparently sales can say whatever it takes to close the deal then charge a different price!  Shame on Verizon for being dishonest!  Shame on the illegal sales tactics!  Shame on Francis!  Shame on me for trusting Verizon!

Re: Another Bait and Switch
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

Good morning! We noticed your post and we want to make sure that everything in your account is accurate. I understand that you upgraded some devices and trade-in promotions require specific plans. We can access the account and make sure that you have the correct plan for the promotion. We sent you a private message to access the account and assist you further. Please reply to that message. You are a valued customer and we want to help.

-Antonio

0 Likes
UnvaluedCustomer77

I can't login now because the two factor text to the phone isn't working.  We receive the text to allow account access, but it keeps failing.  My problem has nothing to do with the specific plan I'm on, it has everything to do with being told one price on the phone only to discover a totally different price once the bill is generated.

UnvaluedCustomer77

Looks like the 2FA is working now.  I'll check the DM

0 Likes
UnvaluedCustomer77

There is no Private Message in my inbox

0 Likes
UnvaluedCustomer77

I sent a DM to you just now pointing out I've still not received a private message.

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Sr. Leader

Here’s the problem 

https://www.verizon.com/plans/55plus/

the 55+ plan is great and cheap , but it’s limite to florida residents and 2 phones only.  

That’s not what you’re on, you can’t be with 3 phones and watches,  

play more Ned do more are $55 each.  The auto pay and paperless discount included.  So $175 base, plus 2 watches at $10 each, so $195 before taxes.

no idea where the extra $10 off was coming from, it’s not a discount I’ve heard of.

0 Likes
UnvaluedCustomer77

Thank you for your reply.  I can appreciate where you're coming from, but you are patently wrong by stating "here is the problem"...  The problem is not my understanding of what is posted on the verizon website and such.  I am fairly literate and have decent comprehension, particularly when it comes to my fiduciary responsibilities.

The actual problem is that it appears a verizon salesperson offered me a discount that either:

• does not exist
  • does not apply
  • I don't qualify for (I don't live in Florida)

I do not know what discounts an official verizon salesperson may see or have access to in their system that I, a loyal customer for 15+ years, does not nor should have access to.  I didn't hypnotize or manipulate the sales rep into making this offer to me.  We actually had a very pleasant conversation and re-hashed the pre-tax total numerous times (probably annoyed the sales rep that I asked to confirm this so many times) for the entire account before I agreed to make the switch... which has been absurdly painful at this point.

mama23dogs
Sr. Leader

Okay so I should have started out with "you were lied to."

The reason carriers publish their prices and their deals online is because that's what they must honor.  

You stated you were telling people about the 55 + plan, but that's not what you signed up for.   And if you did read the plans and pro es online, why did you think you would pay less?  Didn't it sound a little bit sketchy? 

AT&T has the exact same 55+ offer, same restrictions.  

The Welcome unlimited is $120 (40 each) for 3 lines. 

0 Likes
UnvaluedCustomer77

I'm trying to reply to DMs but now get a message that I have reached my limit of DMs "for now"...

I'm on a PC using Chrome