Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Get up to $500 when you bring your phone. Plus, waived smartphone activation fee when you buy online. Limited time offer.
end of navigation menu
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Answers to questions
johnssword

So where do I begin….

First of all I called to ask a very specific question.  And it is not a hard question.  Very simply put my question is if I have a phone that is on a plan that does not have text, then why do I get billed for political ad texts that have been coming to the specific line?  My mom detests texting.  You can count on one hand the number of actual texts she sends, and receives. 

At first we were making progress, then the agent quit responding.  I could not get an agent back online nor another agent so I had to log back in.  This new agent then took me in another direction indicating that I needed to block phone numbers.  Well that doesn’t work if you receive texts from random numbers now does it.  This agent was not helpful at all.  I don’t know if he could not understand the question, cared to answer the question or was too busy to try and understand the question.  After a while this agent stopped responding like the first.  Here we go again. 

Second, I then tried to get an appointment at a local store because well, you can’t just walk into one anymore.  What happens, yep the website continues to function in the same great manner as the live chat and I can’t get an appointment.  I can fill out the form but it never puts me in so that was useless.

Am I mad?  No, I am way beyond that point.  More than two hours of my life have been wasted trying to get answers from this company and at this point getting a new customer agent to go through the same process and waste more of my time is just unacceptable. 

This just compounds on some of the other issues I have recently had with Verizon.  Most notable is the fact that according to customer service, none of my phones will work after December 31st.  That was fine because I have been looking to upgrade my phones.  What is totally bad business relations is the fact that I had to find out, by accident, by calling into customer service to talk about phone deals.  What was Verizons plan, to let my phones go inactive and continue to bill me for services to which I could not gain access?

I have been a customer with this company for over 21 years.  I am now seriously considering changing carriers as this company appears to have gotten too big to care.

Re: Answers to questions
Tigerstep

It would help if the name of the plan was mentioned. All plans in the past several years have unlimited talk/text as a standard feature. Even the most basic postpaid plan available today aimed at flip phones gives you 700 minutes, unlimited texts and no data. If you have an ancient plan that charges for text, I'd consider changing it.

For the latter part of the post, this was planned well in advance with a year extention on top of that. Other carriers are shutting down 3G too. 

https://www.lightreading.com/5g/goodbye-3g-heres-when-t-mobile-atandt-and-verizon-will-shut-it-off-/...

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

johnssword,

We want to make sure you always have the options you need with your plan. We value your 21 years of loyalty and certainly don't want to see you go anywhere else.

With text messaging, all of our recent plans offer unlimited texting. This is so that users don't have to worry about per message costs. If you are on an older plan without that though, you have the option to add a basic texting plan just to cover usage like this. You also have the option to block text messaging on the line which will prevent any texts from coming in and any charges. If per message blocks won't work in this case then either adding a texting plan, blocking all texts, or switching to a plan which includes texting will be the best options.

As for the phones stopping working, we have actually sent out multiple alerts both by email and on our bills to anyone who will be impacted by the shut down of the 3G network. We'd love to help you get new phones if needed and we're here to answer any questions you have about them.

AndrewT_VZW

0 Likes
talketo

They says messages have been sent out. NO THEY HAVE NOT - at least I haven't received any kind of notice nor has my friend. I have a 3G and have not received any notice about my phone being shut down so I have done NOTHING. I'm a senior citizen and rely on my phone in case I would have an accident so is Verison just going to be an wiseguy and kill all our phones without notice????

0 Likes
talketo

HAVE NOT RECEIVED ANY MESSAGES ABOUT MY 3G PHONE BEING SHUT DOWN in either my email or in my monthly bill nor has my friend. We are senior citizens and use our phones for emergency and to keep in touch with friends. We also pay our monthly bills promptly. Is this mhow Verizon treats their customers - by ignoring them?????

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

talketo, this is certainly not the way you feel. As a consumer, I know how vital it is to have a working phone. The last thing we would ever do is to leave you without service. We would like the opportunity to review your account to see when the notices were sent. We can go over your bills to find the information you deserve. Take a look at the CDMA Network Retirement online page. https://www.verizon.com/support/knowledge-base-218813/

To better assist you, I sent you a Private Message. Please reply to the private Message at your earliest convenience. 

JacobG_VZW

0 Likes
talketo

I DID NOT find any Private Message any place. And I checked the last 11 bills I got from Verizon and NONE of them have any notices in them. In other words I have not received any notices at all. I always check my bills over completely to make sure Verizon isn't charging me for something I don't have. And after owning three successful businesses for many years I do know how to check out a bill especially since I did several large contacted job for the US Government. There is NO section labeled CDMA Network Retirement. In ONE bill on the back page in small print (which I'm sure not many people read) was a section that said Limited Troubleshooting For CDMA & Non-VoLTE Devices (which I'm sure not many Senior Citizens know what that means since cell phones are new to them) it talked about limited use and that was it. In other words Verizon has NOT given  us any notification - as usual they are taking their customer for a ride and ripping them off. Sounds like to me Verizon doesn't give a dang about the people using flips and that they would rather have us move elsewhere and dump our Verizon accounts. Many people in this area have flip phones and speaking with some of them - this is what they are planning on doing - dumping Verizon. Customer Service is terrible at Verizon and your selection of flip phones stink. Even the Verizon Stores have terrible customer service over a year ago I went to a Verizon Store to upgrade my phone and the clerk was too busy for over an hour to wait on me. I walked out. I been on-line several times trying to get answers and your on-line support is just as bad as I never got any answers and all they wanted to do was sell me a smart phone - don't like smart phones, don't need a smart phone, will not pay those high prices and yet they just kept after me. Get with not everyone wants a smart phone and many who are on social security CAN NOT AFFORD a smart phone.

0 Likes
acraftylady2

Make sure you are logged in and click the white envelope at the top right of this page.  If nothing there then they are not getting through for some reason.  Technology is changing,  even on other carriers so it's not just verizon.  

0 Likes
talketo

Other phone carriers have better flip phone and are willing to assist the flip phone user. But Verizon just keeps trying to cramp the smart phones down everyones throat so they can get you for more money. Sad because Verizon does have good service just terrible customer service, support and flip phones....

0 Likes
acraftylady2

Guess it depends on who you deal with.  80yr old friend got a new flip phone at a Verizon store months ago and was painless and no one forced her into a smart phone.  I will say the local store up the street we use has an awesome staff.  

0 Likes