Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Auto Pay has been paying my bill a day late!
tornado12

I just upgraded my phone after nearly 4 years on the same one, and I logged into my online account tonight and was just looking over everything, making sure it all looked right, reviewed my reciepts etc. I happen to notice however when I clicked to view my bill it said at the top that my bill was past due. I paniced and sent the full payment immediatly. I have never had a late payment to anything in my entire life. I then looked to find out why in the world it had showed as late, given Ive had autopay set up for years with verizon. Come to find out my bill was only 1 day late. It was due Nov. 2nd, and I sent the payment just now Nov. 3. I also noticed my autopay was saying it was set to send a payment today as well, so I may end up sending 2 payments I dont know. I then went and looked at previous bills, back up to 2 years ago, and noticed that auto pay has consistently paid my bill 1 day late this whole time. I am mortified to learn this. I went in to manage my auto pay and it says it is set for the 26th of the month in the settings -  Im a little baffled now. I cant even select an auto pay date of the 3rd of the month, so I have no clue why auto pay has for years now paid my bill on or just a day or two after the 3rd. Is it possible to have auto pay acutally set to pay your bill late? Is it possible I set it for the 3rd years ago, and my due date somehow has changed? I would have never set up an auto pay system to pay my bill on the due date or a day late, I always go for the earliest time option. I rarely log in and review my verizon bill because I get the montly text and emails that my bill is due, and then when auto pay pays the bill I get notified that it was paid so I just have let it go on auto pilot. Now Im learning that Ive consistently paid this bill late. Ive never been hit with a late payment though, thank god. The message at the top today said I would be hit with a late payment in my next bill....But Im wondering if it likely always had that statement up there when it was paid a day late. Im going to watch this thing like a hawk this next months bill and see what it does. Id love to hear if anyone else has experienced this, and if someone at verizon sees this, can you shed some light on this for me? Why have I never been notified of a late payment? I feel like I should have been notified that my auto pay date was paying 1 day late. All of my bills, back to 2 years ago show Due date 2nd of the month, and right below it on the paper bill auto pay 3rd of the month. When things are on auto pay, and for years, you assume its all being done right. So annoyed.

0 Likes
Re: Auto Pay has been paying my bill a day late!
tornado12

another question I meant to ask -- At what point does a late verizon wireless phone payment impact your credit score? Does a late payment from a missed bill immediately ding your credit score, or is it only once they send an account to collections? Im just a little paranoid, but also really curious. I watch my credit like a hawk, and it has of course never dinged me, but Im wondering where that line actually is.

0 Likes
SLYFIELJ

As a matter of course verizon doesn't report right away. It would typically have to go to collections first. 

Even with credit cards they typically age thirty days late before they report late to the bureaus.

I would contact customer service. Your account should not be set to have autopay pay your bill late. That's not how it's supposed to wor . Mine I can set for a 4 day window ending roughly a week before my hard due date.

If the late pays were generating late fees then customer service ought to be able to fix it (they might have to escalate it).

0 Likes
tornado12

Yes If I go in to edit my auto pay, I get the same thing. I can not even select the 3rd. I am assuming it was set as the 3rd years ago when I first set it up, and somehow my due date has changed. I set this auto pay up many years ago. It was not recent, so I do not remember the speciffics of the time. When I went in to edit it, it was displaying the 26th as the date which is the earliest I can select. It seems by just visiting the edit page that my auto pay date is now  actually showing the 26th in other places where it used to show the 3rd.

Im just so annoyed this was allowed to go on. What if something this silly actually hit my credit. A small late fee would not be a big deal if thats all it was - a small fee, but the scary thing for me is it somehow impacting my credit. I got so paranoid tonight Ive went to every single account I pay online and checked the auto pay set up to make sure I dont have this same issue somewhere else. Thankfully this is the only one. I just dont know why I was never notified, emailed, text, something. I would have corrected this years ago. It seems it has went on for at least 2 years, likely much longer than that. I will make sure it is corrected going forward. The thought of it hitting my credit though just makes me anxious.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

tornado12, We know the importance of ensuring your Auto Pay withdrawals are reflecting correctly to avoid any late payments. We're truly sorry to learn that our system is giving difficulties in setting the correct payment date. Here's a link with the steps to edit your Auto Pay options: https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/auto-pay-faqs/#autopay. Please keep in mind that the 5 Settlement Days that you can choose from will be the days of the month that are 16 to 20 days after the bill cycle date. 

You mentioned that your payment has been paid one day late for over 2 years. Have you received any late fees as a result of this? 

TanishaS_VZW

0 Likes
kenc1

I have had the same issue and I have received late fees this past month.  It seems that Verizon does this to gather late fees.  I use autopay and it is set to pay early.  Somehow I incurred a late fee for last month for $66 dollars even though the rest of the bill was paid via autopay.  Is this a way for Verizon to make extra money.  My wife uses T Mobile without an issue like this.

The funny thing is that it's impossible to reach customer service through the billing system.  Convenient for Verizon.

My next bill is on 1-15. I  will pay it today.  Let's see how much in late fees I will be hit with by paying 21 days early.  

It may be time to switch companies.

0 Likes