Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Auto Pay is a SCAM
Chazmoe616

I get only one bill and it was on autopay as it has been for years using a Credit Card.  I get a new bill for $50 more after making a plan change that was supposed to have saved me $25 per month for 5 lines unlimited.   They don't tell me that Autopay with a CC will cost me $10 more per month, not per bill but per line.  why does the number of lines have to do with autopay when there is only one bill.  I thought that maybe the higher billing was because of switching plans caused one month to be pro-rated low and then the next higher, no that was not the reason.  So I called.  Now in order to get the autopay paperless discount I have to give them my back account infomation.  What a joke, they mis-use my CC and then want to go take $$ directly from my bank account?  I think not.  At least with a CC I can fight the charges.  I wonder if I did not change my plan would this autopay thing not have happened?

Even if I go to paper billing and write a check through on-line checking, they would still charge me an additional $10 per line.  So it has nothing to do with the CC method of autopay.  What a SCAM.

I am switching to Spectrum and save $120 per month.  The savings mostly come from that I can have 2 unlimited data plans and for the other 3 share a data plan.  And I can autopay with a CC.  

Re: Auto Pay is a SCAM
Tigerstep

Auto-pay is not a scam.

Verizon brought back unlimited data February 2017 and introduced discounts with both paperless billing and auto-pay with a checking account. Same year that plan became Go Unlimited and Beyond. At this time the discount was $5 off per line -- auto-pay discount for the newest plans are $10 off.

At no time was the discount directed at credit cards, its always been debit/checking only. Customers that managed to get the discount with a credit card only got it from a system error. Changing plans will detect invalid payment method and correct it.

This was 2 years going on 3 that Verizon has informed customers the discount is for those using their bank. 3 years of disclosure does not a scam make.

0 Likes
cbell059

Yup, it's a SCAM for sure. I was told in the Verizon store that I would be getting a discount of 30 dollars each month if I set up auto pay. I purchased an iPad and two iPhones with unlimited data. I attempted to set up auto pay in March 2020 through my Verizon app, I used the Debit card that I already had on file and was making my regular payments with. I did not add a new card or add any new info. I selected Auto payment option on my Verizon app and it gave me an alert that says Congratulations for signing up for auto pay. At the end of the month my bill was past due and auto. pay did not work. I was also charged the additional 30 dollars. So I attempted again, each time using the card I had on file and would receive a message stating that I was enrolled. This continued each month until I finally had enough time to sit on the phone and wait for 30min to speak with a customer service rep. No joke, 30 min. I know times are tough with Covid but seriously who has time for that? 

After trying various things with the customer service rep she told me that on her end she could see that the zip code was invalid on my Debit card, which is why it was not working. I asked her why the card on file worked for my regular payments but not for auto pay, she could not explain. I asked that my account be credited and got denied. I asked to speak with her supervisor and she confirmed that she would not credit my account dating from March but would credit my account for this month only (August).  The rep also informed me that the discount is not 30 dollars only 20 dollars as the iPad is not a discounted line. What a joke, complete SCAM. I am really disappointed in Verizon's dishonesty. 

vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

cbell059, we appreciate you disclosing this information to us. We are sending you a Private Note.

0 Likes
Tigerstep

@cbell059 

Still not a scam, more like a donkey of a store rep.

Autopay discounts are for phone lines only, your bill being up $30 isn't even possible -- not with autopay issues for a tablet. If you switched to unlimited, tablets are $20 instead of $10. (half off if one of your phone lines is Do More or Get More)

Dunno what that rep was doing since reps don't have the ability to setup autopay directly, it's why they tell you to do it from your My Verizon account or transfer to the automated system. If it was a zip code error, that's between you and the bank to fix. I can see a courtesy credit issued if you called them the first month this happened, but waiting several months invalidates a credit. 

Just an FYI, 30 minutes is considered good these days. Some people are waiting over an hour.

0 Likes
cbell059

Hey Tigerstep, looks like you either have alot of time on your hands or you work for verizon in some capacity. Funny how you responded same day to both posts calling out Verizon autopay scam. Here's some additional info... I called Verizon back again regarding getting charged and the customer service rep said she would credit my account 60 dollars. But when my autopay came out on the 26th I got charged the original amount, no discount. Yes, it is a total scam and a complete waste of time. For anyone else dealing with the same issues here is a link for 10 effective ways to complain about a business on linehttps://www.salesforce.com/hub/service/how-to-complain-company-online/.

Also my Verizon store sales rep. was professional and polite, unlike you. It is not nice to refer to people as animals by the way.  I do not need your input on how long I should expect wait times to be. Not interested in you comments or opinions on anything really.  Maybe keep your rude comments about people you have never met to yourself. 

Predator7
Novice

He does have too much in his Hands........ 

0 Likes
Predator7
Novice

Donkey???

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

Hello, cbell059. We never want you to feel this way. We sent out a Private Note to you some time ago, and never received a response. If there is anything we may assist with at this time, we'll be happy to help. DavidR_VZW

0 Likes
UberkiwiUSA

i see here talk of the "10 dollar" off deal for autopay and wireless.  i saw this stated on my account before doing so, but it only gave 5 off.  what would be the "new plans" they are mentioning.  my plan is the 5 gig option.  Thanks for any clarification you can give.  i appreciate it.

0 Likes