Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
end of navigation menu
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BLOCKING SMS Spam from Email Addresses - Verizon Negligence, Incompetence, and Non-Working Available User Features
JeffS007

The FULL original thread is here. 

https://community.verizon.com/t5/My-Verizon/SMS-Spam-from-Email-Addresses/m-p/1154868

It is COMICAL to read the Verizon support answers...they ignore the issue given by facts completely, spin it into other things vs the actual problem, and read and reply based on their provided Verizon script - "Align and express customer concern" but do nothing.  It's a bunch of bunk.

Abbreviated Thread Below With Verizon's Last Answer At Bottom....OVER A YEAR LATER... And Still it Doesn't Work...It's there as an option but does NOTHING!

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

SMS Spam from Email Addresses
Duke43:Member
‎03-02-2020 12:25 PM

I have been getting text messages, mainly of sexual nature, on my new Verizon iPhone since I purchased it in September 2019. I tend to get upwards of five texts a day that all come from email domains such as *.gmail.com, *outlook.com, *hotmail.com. I've spoken to Verizon "support" numerous times and even to the representatives in the store where I purchased the phone and no one can seem to resolve this! The fix is to simply - Block all text messages that reside from a web/email address. Verizon even has a feature under your account that's called Blocks, located under Plan when you login to your Verizon Account. It allows you to block text messages from the web or individual domains like I mentioned above or ALL SMS Texts cominf from an Email Address. The problem is that it doesn't work and no one that I've spoken to in support seems to know anything about this so called feature.

There answer is always "Well you can get another number for free". That is an extremely invasive action since I will have to inform all of my contacts of my new number. Furthermore, Verizon doesn't give out new numbers, they give out re-cycled numbers which means I have continue to have similar or worse problems with a different number.

I just can't believe Verizon hires thousands of technicians yet none of them can resolve a common problem like this! The reality is they probably can, but it will cost them $$ so they choose not to.

Well, I've lost about all patience and belief in Verizon!

______________________________________________________________________________________________
Re: SMS Spam from Email Addresses
HighDriveHighDrive
‎06-21-2020 07:16 AM
First off, thank you to Duke for a succinct description of the problem - I am having the exact same issue.

Second, sardonically hilarious to see the Verizon representatives’ responses. Sadly, they reinforce the customer service frustration Duke was describing in the first place!

My question is this: can Verizon provide an option that allows its users to block ALL incoming SMS messages from ANY email address? The only SMS and iMessage texts that I care to receive come from numbers, not email addresses, but the sex spam texts all seem to come from different email addresses. This would be one way to solve the problem, at least for me.

Verizon rep bot: please don’t reply with your empathy/concern and then eventually suggest that I change my number! That is not an option, of course. I just want to know If there’s a way to block all texts from email addresses.

Thanks.
________________________________________________________________________________________________
Re: SMS Spam from Email Addresses
vzw_customer_supportvzw_customer_support
Customer Support
‎06-01-2021 08:11 AM
Spam messages are a major inconvenience, and we're sorry to see you're going through this situation. I know I've had my share of these messages, and know they can get out of hand. The great news is that there are a couple of options that can help us avoid these type of messages. Here is a link with the details https://www.verizon.com/support/block-numbers/ Let us know how it works out? - VZW_ChristianP

*Note The Ineptness In VZW Reply Above - i.e. "Block-Numbers"...That's NOT The Issue VZW!!!  

Re: BLOCKING SMS Spam from Email Addresses - Verizon Negligence, Incompetence, and Non-Working Available User Features
bkr009

I'm having the same issue, for the last month.

Emails are sent to me as an SMS/text message. I get about 5-10 each day.

And they are NEVER the same e-mail address.

In the blocking section, in Myaccount, there are the following checkbox options:

-Block All Text Messages sent from the web

-Block all text messages sent from email

However, turning these features on and restarting your phone (as recommended by support) does NOT do anything.

These are fake options that do 0.

When contacting support you get the following answers:

Purchase family plan

-This is so you can block more than 15 e-mails (for free).

-This doesn't work, because they send it via different email addresses each time

Change your number

-This is impossible for most people as their number is tied to family, friends, and work.

-I've had my number for over 10 years

When I look at other carriers, they have the option to block email to SMS when you call the carrier. They just do it for you.

It may be time to change.

Re: BLOCKING SMS Spam from Email Addresses - Verizon Negligence, Incompetence, and Non-Working Available User Features
bkr009

Just as an addition to my other post:

https://www.verizon.com/support/block-unblock-services-faqs/#:~:text=1%20Touch%20and%20hold%20the%20....

bkr009_0-1623007180721.png

This feature SHOULD work and is listed as an official step. But it doesn't work....

0 Likes
bkr009

The most honest response I've gotten to date.

bkr009_0-1623008729541.png

So, it's confirmed. The feature is not full functioning and is still under work.
Verizon is behind other carriers.

Re: BLOCKING SMS Spam from Email Addresses - Verizon Negligence, Incompetence, and Non-Working
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

JeffS007, unwanted spam on the phone is something I have experienced as well, so I know how much of a concern that can be. Your feedback on the available options will be reviewed for ways to improve and provide a better experience with these types of messages.

We recommend utilizing the existing features to help reduce the number of spam messages. Please forward these types of messages to 7726 to report spam, which will help us to continue to work toward resolutions. The information on the following web page https://www.verizon.com/about/responsibility/robocalls relates more to spam calls but it shows information about how Verizon is taking action. We hope this information helps. 

0 Likes
Re: BLOCKING SMS Spam from Email Addresses - Verizon Negligence, Incompetence, a
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

Spam messages are a major inconvenience, and we're sorry to see you're going through this situation. We want to ensure we find a way to block these type of messages. Could you please tell us what issue you run into when you try to block them through the Blocks page in My Verizon? - VZW_ChristianP

0 Likes
MaybeSo

I love this:

Q1: What is the most effective method for blocking spam calls?

A1: Pay us for the service of blocking those calls (hehe... trick is on you, it doesn't work!). You see, the spammers pay us, then YOU pay us to block the spammers. Well, if we did our jobs, the spammers would stop paying us, and so eventually would you. So, we've got to allow a bunch of spammers to pi55 you off - or you wouldn't keep paying. Meanwhile, the spammers have to get through from time to time, or they'd quit paying us.

We win! Too bad for you. So sad. If only we cared.

Q2: (actually, there's not one like this) What is the most effective way to stop text messages from harassing me all the time?

A2: see A1 above. 5ucks to be you, "first world problems" and all that.

0 Likes
MaybeSo

They're "working on it?" - Right.

Email Anti-Spam Technology has been around for 25+ years, yet these people are only just discovering it. Easiest thing for ME would be to whitelist those 1 or 2 people I'm interested in receiving an 'email to text' message from.

But, no, "we're working on it, so please keep being our customer and giving us money" -

Looks like I'll have to investigate OTHER CARRIERS and see what they have-

Meanwhile, Verizon: Meh, there's millions of other moneybag 5uckers where this one came from.

0 Likes
Re: BLOCKING SMS Spam from Email Addresses - Verizon Negligence, Incompetence, and Non
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

Most people use the free version of Call Filter: https://www.verizon.com/support/call-filter-faqs/. The paid version doesn't help for the majority of customers. The free version filters out spammers.*Melissa

0 Likes