Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
end of navigation menu
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BYOD $500 - Deceptive Practices
rhowmann

After receiving my BYOD gift card, I added a device and tried to use the gift card at the check-out online; it asked me for the gift card and pin, in addition, it asked me for the secret code of a saved credit card on file, Verizon Visa. After pressing next, the gift card didn't get added to the check-out process. I tried this several times, and I gave up.  So, I let it charged my Verizon credit card for the tax and activation fee, after received the device I tried to pay my device after the 11th day, I was told by an agent that in order to use the gift card towards the device I had to add as a deposit during checkout, in which it was not letting me. 

If the website was not letting me, Verizon was doing this on purpose for me to get into a payment plan, and have me stay longer as a customer.  By not being able to use the gift card, Verizon would milk me for months, and forcing me to use the gift card to pay the monthly bills, not towards paying it off.  The device was more than the gift card, and a split payment was not an option.  

I immediately return the device, in which I am being charged $50.00 restocking fee, thanks to Verizon not adding my gift card at check-out.  After my return gets completed,  I will try again, record the check-out process and have it sent to the attorney general, let see if the attorney general can fix Verizon's deceptive practices.   Then I have to deal with Verizon Visa to dispute the restocking fee.   

0 Likes
Re: BYOD $500 - Deceptive Practices
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

Oh, my! This is never the experience we want for you when placing an order. I'm so sorry to learn of the trouble you've had trying to apply your gift card as a down payment. I'm happy to look further into this for you. To gain clarity, was this a Verizon, or Visa/MasterCard gift card? Did you have this issue on the app, website or both? -Kia

0 Likes
rhowmann

Verizon Gift card, trying to place the order on the website. I haven't tried again on the website, because my return is taking longer than expected.  The UPS state the device arrived, but Verizon website doesn't recognize it.  

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

rhowmann, thank you for the helpful information you provided. Our warehouse receives a lot of shipments and it may take them up to 5 business days to open the box and check in the the device. Are you buying a device for the line that received the Gift Card? If, so when did you activate the line? 

-Jacob

0 Likes