Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
end of navigation menu
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Call to Puerto Rico charged as International?
PE916

I have the Single Smartphone Unlimited Plan, which includes unlimited talk and text in the US, Canada, and Mexico. I also have WiFi Calling activated, as the interior sections of my apartment get terrible cell network reception. When I tried to call a Puerto Rican number (area code 939), I received an audio prompt telling me that the WiFi call would be charged as per my international plan. I do not understand why this is because, last I checked, Puerto Rico is American territory, and would therefore be covered by my unlimited talk and text. What gives, Verizon?

Tags (1)
0 Likes
Re: Call to Puerto Rico charged as International?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

Puerto Rico is considered domestic for Verizon services. It will be just like using your phone in the United States as far as no roaming charges. Note the phone make actually show roaming or extended, but it is included in all current plans as domestic service. 

https://www.verizon.com/support/international-travel-faqs/

-Carter

0 Likes
PE916

If this is so, and all calls from the United States to Puerto Rico would be treated as domestic calls under my plan and similar plan's unlimited talk and text options, then why did I receive that automated audio prompt?  At best, this is sloppy automation that will lead Verizon customers to not make calls to Puerto Rico under the mistaken assumption that they would be charged extra for doing so.  At worst, this is an attempt to try to upsell Puerto Ricans in the United States onto plans that provide no extra benefit to them and cost much more than Verizon plans already cost. Verizon is the largest provider of cell phone service in the United States and likely has many thousands of Puerto Rican customers, like myself.  How many of them have not made calls to family and friends because of this sloppiness? How many of them have gone onto unnecessarily more expensive plans because they were scared onto them by incorrect information provided by Verizon?

Fix this, Verizon.  And be clear to your customers about what is and is not covered under their plans.

Tags (1)
0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

How calls charge when using our Nationwide plans are very clear in that all 50 states and US territories are included in the plan at no additional charge. So the message is advising the customer to make sure they're on a Nationwide plan since there are still consumers using old plans. The recording is not going to know what plan any of our customers are on. It will only know that an international call is being placed if the area called doesn't have Verizon towers or a country code has been dialed. Wi-Fi calling while an added service of the phone and a great option to use especially if indoor calling isn't the best can result in International charges in some instances as accessing a Wi-Fi network while traveling internationally may result in a charge depending on the Wi-Fi network being accessed. When calling from the US however a Wi-Fi call shouldn't result in an International charge so long as the Wi-Fi carrier doesn't advise of such via their terms. Typically, US based networks for residential services will not result in a charge if making international calls over Wi-Fi except in those instances where they may incur toll charges (and it'll be specified in their agreement and on their website) but if accessing Wi-Fi via a business channel and their internet originates from an international source, you may incur an international charge. As such, the message is going to relay in any instance an international call is made as advised here: https://www.verizon.com/support/wifi-calling-faqs/. If you do not want to risk a charge, then you can simply call via your Verizon plan as Puerto Rico is included in all of our Unlimited plans.

-Genesis

0 Likes