Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Can I read text messages on my kid's phone?
aebusse

I am the account owner and would like to read text messages on my kids phone.  Is there a way to do this?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct Answers
Re: reading text messages on my kids phone
bd94s10

SuzyQ pretty much nailed it. You could set the devices up to sync Verizon Messages aka Messages+ to a computer.. but on an iPhone you have to turn off iMessage and a child would surely notice this and toggle it back on. Although I had my # sync'd with Messages+ and I signed into the web the other day and I recalled seeing a lot of my messages including some I didn't think would have sync'd.

If you setup FamilyBase it will not allow you to read the message but will email you who their top contacts are etc. My wife and I have this setup on my son's phone.. which also allows us to limit how much data he uses.

Messages+ - Take Texting to the Next Level | Verizon Wireless

FamilyBase - FamilyBase | Verizon Wireless

Hope this helps somewhat.

View solution in original post

SuzyQ
Sr. Leader
Sr. Leader

One way (and the only sure way) - take the phone and read them directly  on the phone periodically.  Of course, that depends on the age of the kids and your relationship as to how that works out.  When my kids were teens and had phones, that was one of the "rules" - I had access to their phone whenever.

Verizon Messages will sync messages to a computer or tablet, but sends a confirmation code to the phone before the sync will begin.  And it only works with standard texts, not iMessages, or other chat apps.  Those apps use data for messaging and you can't see that content other than on the phone itself.

bd94s10

SuzyQ pretty much nailed it. You could set the devices up to sync Verizon Messages aka Messages+ to a computer.. but on an iPhone you have to turn off iMessage and a child would surely notice this and toggle it back on. Although I had my # sync'd with Messages+ and I signed into the web the other day and I recalled seeing a lot of my messages including some I didn't think would have sync'd.

If you setup FamilyBase it will not allow you to read the message but will email you who their top contacts are etc. My wife and I have this setup on my son's phone.. which also allows us to limit how much data he uses.

Messages+ - Take Texting to the Next Level | Verizon Wireless

FamilyBase - FamilyBase | Verizon Wireless

Hope this helps somewhat.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

aebusse We understand the importance of managing your account. Are you trying to view the time and date these messages were sent? Do you currently have Family Base?

TabithaJ_VZW Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport If my response answered your question please click the Correct Answer button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
jmcarson1

I really think Verizon should make a way for account owners to view texts on every device/line without a hassle. Kid's safety trumps their privacy.  This has always made me uneasy.  One time my child was being bullied via text.  I don't want my child hiding this from me.  Had I not intermittently checked her phone, I would not have known.  She could have deleted them.  I also think since you are paying for a 2nd line, we should be able to see texts by switching to each device we are the account owner on. and manage each device in the same manner.  We could be using the 2nd device for our work and not using it for a family member.  It makes sense to be able to view text messages.  It should at least be an option; especially if the 2nd phone is being used by a minor.

jmcarson1

If you cannot read text messages, and your child can manage them so you never see them, then Family Base is a joke, in my opinion

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

While you cannot read their messages, you can use this to set data restrictions, time restrictions, call restrictions, and track the child phone as well. If you have any questions on this service, please let us know.

RobertH_VZW

0 Likes