Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
end of navigation menu
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Can I retrieve voice mail messages from canceled account
svendella

All-  I'm in big trouble with my wife.  I bought her a new phone and ported her Verizon number to another carrier.  I saved and transferred all her data, but didn't think to save her Verizon voice messages.  She had three very important and personal messages from her family that she needs back.  Does anyone know how to retrieve them from the archives?  They're so important, I am willing to move her back to Verizon, pay Verizon a retrieval fee, or whatever it takes.  Help greatly appreciated.  From her perspective (and mine) failure is not an option.  Thanks, svendella

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct Answers
Re: Retrieve Voice Mail Messages from Canceled Account
Snn5
Sr. Leader

Once an account is cancelled, either out-right or by porting to another carrier the voicemails are usually purged.  Maybe someone else here has ported out and then returned within a set limit of days who will say otherwise, but I'm pretty sure Verizon has purged that system since there is no phone number or account associated with that voicemail box any longer.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Snn5
Sr. Leader

Once an account is cancelled, either out-right or by porting to another carrier the voicemails are usually purged.  Maybe someone else here has ported out and then returned within a set limit of days who will say otherwise, but I'm pretty sure Verizon has purged that system since there is no phone number or account associated with that voicemail box any longer.

0 Likes
svendella

Thanks, Snn5.  I am hoping someone has solved this before.  The Verizon rep I talked to told me that my account is currently "suspended" and that I might be able to get it back, since it's only been a few days, but then told me nope after she checked with the porting and tech folks.  I'm just trying to explore all options.  I am wondering if they could retrieve it for law enforcement if required to.  In other words whether it's really impossible technically or not.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support
svendella,

Oh no! I'm sorry to see you're no longer with us, and learn that your wife lost her emails. I completely understand how important voicemails are. Since you mentioned you ported the number to a different carrier, the voicemail messages are no longer accessible. Her line of service would need to be active with us still since they're saved on our database.

AdaS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!
0 Likes
Snn5
Sr. Leader

So, then OP CAN come back to Verizon and those VMs will still be there?

0 Likes
svendella

AdaS_VZW-  Thank you for your reply.  You said "her line of service would need to be active with us still since they're saved on our database."  I am willing to immediately reactivate her VZW account and phone number the way it was if we can get her former voice messages back that she had saved in the VZW Voice Mail system.  Since you said they're "saved" does that mean we could still retrieve them if I reactivated her same phone number and account with VZW? It has only been five days since I transferred her phone number to the new provider. Please let me know and I'll do that since she still has her VZW phone and we were happy with the service.  Thanks, svendella

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support
svendella,

Apologies if there was anything said that was misleading. What we meant by that comment is that in order for voicemails to continue to be saved in our system, the service would need to remain active with us, uninterrupted. While we would love for you to reactivate service with us, the voicemails will no longer be retrievable.

SandyS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!
0 Likes
Snn5
Sr. Leader

Well, looks like according to that last post, the voicemails are gone.  I really wish I could say which reply was truth, however, I don' know that I would return to Verizon service based on the idea that one rep was right and one was not right.  A gamble of sorts.  Though, I believe that once a customer leaves, the system is purged.  Records of numbers called and texts received may remain for a while, but recordings do not.

0 Likes
svendella

Thanks, Snn5.  For what it's worth, I DID return my account to Verizon shortly after the above exchange, since Verizon's "win-back" folks offered some hope that I might still be able to retrieve the VMs.  They indicated the line had been suspended, but not canceled, and I was instructed to be sure that the technical folks "reactivated" it.  As you indicated was likely, it didn't work.  Upon reactivating the line, the system only offered the prompts to set up a new VM, not to access the previous VM messages.  I've contacted Verizon again, but I think I'm pretty much SOL at this point.  Everyone at Verizon was very helpful, short of having an actual solution.  Maybe I could get an archive of the VMs if I were the NSA, but this obviously doesn't elevate to that level.  Lesson learned.  Thanks for your help in these forum posts.  Svendella

Snn5
Sr. Leader

Whoever you choose to go with next, or from this point on, use Visual Voicemail, if possible.  Those messages come to your phone where you can listen to them without calling in AND you can save them to the phone or SD card for archival purposes.  There is a free VVM (audio only) and a premium version which allows transcribing.

0 Likes