Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Can I return a phone that isn't paid off?
yukei

I'm on a family plan with my mom and brothers, and my mom has to switch providers due to being in an area Verizon doesn't cover at all and having to cancel her internet due to the ISP tripling the price, so she can't afford it anymore and there are no other ISPs in her small town.

Because she has to change providers, we all have to get our own plans and I simply can't afford that. I still owe over $900 on a $1,300 phone so I can't switch. But can I return the phone and get a much cheaper one? Because I can't afford a more expensive plan and my phone payment.

0 Likes
Re: Can I return a phone that isn't paid off?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

@yukei ,

I'm sorry to hear that your mother is unable to get service in her current area, but thank you for sharing so many helpful details. Have you or your siblings considered taking ownership of the account? This is a free process referred to as a Service Transfer: https://www.verizon.com/support/transfer-your-service-faqs/ , and it would allow you and your brothers to continue with the same account (minus your mother's line). As for returning your current phone, it would only be able to be returned within the first 14 days of purchase, so with what you had shared it would be beyond that timeframe already. 

0 Likes
yukei

So there's no way I can get rid of this phone without fully paying it off? Usually after paying off half or so you can "upgrade," but now Verizon is telling me I can't upgrade it until it's fully paid off. That's never been the case for me, I usually upgrade halfway through and return my old phone. 

I'm super broke and barely paying my bills so paying off over $900 right now isn't possible. It'll probably be 2 years before it's fully paid off. 

Also, about the service transfer, I believe that's what we did. That part has been solved.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

We can understand your confusion regarding the early upgrade process, Yukei. Some device manufacturers produce a new device on a yearly base,therefore, those devices are able to do an Early Upgrade every year when the latest model arrives. The customer is not returning the device, but participating in the Early Upgrade Program. Should they not upgrade their device via the program, the customer would have to pay the device in full. 

You mentioned that you were having financial issues, have you considered changing your plan, removing features or contacting our Financial Services Department, 866-266-1445, to discuss options. 

0 Likes