Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Can I switch back to my original plan after switching to unlimited?
Catcher6

I am thinking about switching to the new unlimited plan.  Currently we have 3 lines on the Verizon Plan sharing 12 GB for $80 minus a 15% discount, with a $20 access fee per line.  We have 2 free bonus GB per line (x3=6) which gives us 18 Gb I also pay the $5 Family Base fee to limit my son's usage so he doesn't hog all of the data.  So our bill is $68 plus $60 line access= $128 + $5 family base = $133  plus taxes/fees for 18 GB.

My husband and I use very little data, but my son uses approx. 16 GB a month  as he uses his phone as a hotspot for his music studio (internet too expensive as it is a commercial building.)  He would use more, but we limit him to that amount.

If we switch to unlimited, it's my understanding it would be ($54 x 3 lines?) =$162 plus taxes and fees

Are my calculations correct in that I would be paying $29 (plus taxes and fees) more for unlimited?

If we try it and don't like it, can I get my old plan back, INCLUDING the Bonus 6GB for 3 lines?  (I thought it was 2 GB per line for life, but I don't know what "for life" means!)

We would be doing this to subsidize more data for his studio, with the realization that he might use up his 10GB hotspot pretty quickly. ( I don't know if the throttled speed would be fast enough for him to transmit his music files.)  Also, if he uses up his 22GB 4G network allotment, is the slower 3G data good enough for iMessaging and Google Maps when driving?

Would greatly appreciate any help!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct Answers
Re: Unlimited data - Should I switch, and if I don't like it can I go back to my original plan?
Weth
Sr. Leader

The pricing for unlimited for 3 lines would work like this:

Plan $110 ($100 if you sign up for autopay - we will assume you do this)

3 phone lines $20 each = $60

No discount

Total $160 ($27 more not $29) plus taxes and fees.

However, you will not be able to go back. The 12GB is no longer offered. It was a limited time plan and the limited time has expired. Also it is not clear if you could get the bonus data back if you were able to get back to a 16GB base plan (old XL size)

Going to unlimited would certainly solve your problems. Your data would never be slowed even though son would use tons of data. For his music studio, hotspot sharing would be limited to 10GB and then slowed to 3G. On his phone however, it would not be subject to deprioritization until 22GB. Deprioritization does not mean 3G speeds. In many cases he would have full speed data on the phone, and only if the tower or network is busy would he be deprioritized to slower speeds. In many cases these slower speeds will be faster than the 3G and in times when it is not busy he won't be slowed at all. Hotspot will continue to be 3G after 10GB.

Deprioritization after 22 GB on the phone would be able to handle iMessages and Google Maps no problem while driving

Transmitting his music files at 3G speed, which is reported to be at 600 kbps would allow him to send 270 MB in an hour. You can ask him how big his files are and then calculate if that is reasonable.

View solution in original post

Re: Unlimited data - Should I switch, and if I don't like it can I go back to my original plan?
Weth
Sr. Leader

The pricing for unlimited for 3 lines would work like this:

Plan $110 ($100 if you sign up for autopay - we will assume you do this)

3 phone lines $20 each = $60

No discount

Total $160 ($27 more not $29) plus taxes and fees.

However, you will not be able to go back. The 12GB is no longer offered. It was a limited time plan and the limited time has expired. Also it is not clear if you could get the bonus data back if you were able to get back to a 16GB base plan (old XL size)

Going to unlimited would certainly solve your problems. Your data would never be slowed even though son would use tons of data. For his music studio, hotspot sharing would be limited to 10GB and then slowed to 3G. On his phone however, it would not be subject to deprioritization until 22GB. Deprioritization does not mean 3G speeds. In many cases he would have full speed data on the phone, and only if the tower or network is busy would he be deprioritized to slower speeds. In many cases these slower speeds will be faster than the 3G and in times when it is not busy he won't be slowed at all. Hotspot will continue to be 3G after 10GB.

Deprioritization after 22 GB on the phone would be able to handle iMessages and Google Maps no problem while driving

Transmitting his music files at 3G speed, which is reported to be at 600 kbps would allow him to send 270 MB in an hour. You can ask him how big his files are and then calculate if that is reasonable.

Catcher6

Wow, Weth, thank you so much!  I will ask him about the size of his music files.  (All of this talk about 3G/4G, MB/kpbs is truly Greek to me!)

My husband and I use very little data, as I have the internet at work.  It may be a different story when I retire in a couple of years, however.

Getting the unlimited would be our way of subsidizing/supporting our son's music business through his hotspot. 

The only advantage of our current plan (besides being cheaper!), is that we can always "gift" him our remaining data towards the end of the month.

For $27/month more, it might be worth going to Unlimited so I don't have to deal with Family Base data controls.

Ideally, he will become completely self supporting in the near future and get his own plan, and my husband and I can drop down to a less expensive plan.

My son may be doing some work in western Europe (not sure what countries).  Would he be able to use data overseas?  I imagine he would have to purchase some kind of international travel plan with Verizon to use his phone to make calls as well.

Thanks, again!

0 Likes
Weth
Sr. Leader

Catcher6 wrote:

My son may be doing some work in western Europe (not sure what countries). Would he be able to use data overseas? I imagine he would have to purchase some kind of international travel plan with Verizon to use his phone to make calls as well.

Option for Europe

1) Travel pass- unlimited calls to and from the US and the country he is in.  Unlimited text.  1/2 GB data per day.  $10 per day phone is used

2) 30 day international plan - 100 minutes calls, 100 outgoing text (incoming free), 100 MB data to be used over 30 days.  $40 for 30 days

3) Use only wifi calling. Can call and text to US for free, must be at wifi hotspot. Free (only cost of wifi if there is any)

4). Local sim. Cheaper calls in country, all long distance to and from US

Catcher6

Thanks, again, Weth!  I've had some uneven experiences in the past talking to Verizon reps, especially in the early days of new plans, so I really appreciate you sharing your wisdom.

I'm thinking the unlimited plan is the way to go.  I tend to be pretty cautious with new plans, however. I like to wait until the reviews start coming in, before making any decisions that can't be reversed. ( I waited several months to upgrade our iPhones, and was glad to take advantage of the great trade-in deals this past fall.)

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

Thank you for reaching out to us. The new unlimited plan is the talk of the town. the multi-line unlimited is $110.00. Each line will have $20.00 line access fee. This comes out to be $170.00. You can receive a $10.00 discount for having autopay and paperless billing. Corporate and employee discounts will not carry over since the unlimited plan is already discounted. If you have a Military or Veterans discount, that can carry over. If you have any Device Payments you will want to add that on to the $160.00. This would be before taxes and surcharges as well.

NicoleT_VZW Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport If my response answered your question please click the Correct Answer button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
cobaka

I have a similar question. Wondering if the answer you provided above, changing to unlimited data, would be the same for us. We have 4 lines on the More Everything Unl talk&Text 20 GB plan. Currently our bill is about $258/mos. Can you help me to figure what our monthly cost would be to go unlimited data as well for all 4 lines? Also is it possible to just go with unlimited on the my son't line?

0 Likes