Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Get up to $500 when you bring your phone. Plus, waived smartphone activation fee when you buy online. Limited time offer.
end of navigation menu
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Can I use my hotspot at no charge when no wi-fi is available?
TEAMHOMEPROS

Can I use my hotspot at no charge during the month when no wi-fi is available, even if out of state?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct Answers
Re: Hotspot Usage
SuzyQ
Sr. Leader
Sr. Leader

If there is no wifi available, you will use cellular data (if that is available).  You can use your phone's hotspot to provide a wifi signal for another device, but your phone will use it's cellular data to provide that wifi data to the connected device.  Does that make sense?

As to charges - it depends on your account.  The newer plans, More Everything, Verizon plan, new Verizon plan, the hotspot is included at no extra charge, and data used by connected devices while it is enabled is charged against your plan allowance.  The only charges would be data charges for overages if you used more than your plan allowance and did not have Safety Mode enabled.

On older plans, it is an addon to your account with a monthly charge.  Of course, your phone must be hotspot capable (most newer devices are).

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: Hotspot Usage
SuzyQ
Sr. Leader
Sr. Leader

If there is no wifi available, you will use cellular data (if that is available).  You can use your phone's hotspot to provide a wifi signal for another device, but your phone will use it's cellular data to provide that wifi data to the connected device.  Does that make sense?

As to charges - it depends on your account.  The newer plans, More Everything, Verizon plan, new Verizon plan, the hotspot is included at no extra charge, and data used by connected devices while it is enabled is charged against your plan allowance.  The only charges would be data charges for overages if you used more than your plan allowance and did not have Safety Mode enabled.

On older plans, it is an addon to your account with a monthly charge.  Of course, your phone must be hotspot capable (most newer devices are).

0 Likes