Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Can anyone confirm that using imessage overseas will not add additional charges to my bill?
ShadowIsles

Hi,

My family and I will be heading overseas for a couple of weeks and will be taking our iphones and 2 ipads. We were told by a verizon rep that we could use imessages while overseas and that it would not have additional charges added to our bill. I'm hoping to get some confirmation on this because the rep seemed only half believe his own words. We all have iphones and we have the more of everything plan (if that matters). Thank you for any help!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Can anyone confirm that using imessage overseas will not add additional charges to my bill?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

You always deserve clear and accurate information, Shadowlsles! I apologize for any confusion. iMessage uses a data network, either cellular or WiFi, to transmit messages via Apples servers. If you are traveling internationally and have access to a free WiFi network, iMessage will work to communicate with other Apple users at no added cost. If you activate the cellualr data roaming capabilities of the device, global roaming data charges will apply with use of iMessage. Global Voice Roaming can be turned on to enable calls and regular SMS text for an added cost if needed. A great tool to browse rates, coverage and dialing patterns if needed is http://www.vzw.com/tripplanner. I hope you have a wonderful trip!

Thank you, 

YaleK_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Re: Can anyone confirm that using imessage overseas will not add additional charges to my bill?
Weth
Sr. Leader

Just make sure you put airplane mode on all devices, then turn on ONLY the wifi. 

0 Likes
Antom
Hello there, Here's a follow-on question: I'm in the USA using cellular data to send an iPhone iMessage text to my son in Spain, who is on WiFi. We are on separate plans. Will he get charged for my incoming text, or will it still be a free WiFi network transaction for him?
0 Likes
Antom

BTW:  My son also has an iPhone.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

Antom, I hope your son is having a good time in Spain. I understand being concerned about international charges. When you're messaging him, it will not generate any charges since you're in the USA. Your son's number, as long as it's his VZW phone, is another USA number and thus wouldn't generate an international charge on your end.

Whether your son would have charges, depends on how he's using his phone overseas. Does he have an international travel plan, like TravelPass active? Is he using Wi-Fi in Spain?

JohnT_VZW

0 Likes