Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Carried over data is scam
GodFADA

So I've recently overused my monthly data for the first time and got hit with $45 additional charge.

That's $15 per 1GB, which was fine.

I knew I was going over and the pricing on the warning texts wasn't a problem.

However, I did think I had unused carry over data from the prior month that would be used and deducted on the final bill.  But NO!

So the bill didn't reflect any deduction for the previous month's leftover data, so I chat with an agent.

The agent, after looking into it, said that the carried over data will expire on the next month, and if unused it will reset every other month. What does this mean??

Using my actual figures:

March = had 0.3 GB leftover

April = had 1.81 GB leftover

May = overused 2.1 GB (hit with $45)

So in my case, because I had a little amount of carryover data from March and unused in April, the system reset and I had nothing for May(when I needed it).

Another words, instead of getting charged for 1GB overuse(after 2.1-1.81=0.3), I had no carried over data because I fell into that 'every other month' reset.

Naturally I complained and ultimately got 50% off the $45, but only because I didn't wanna waste more time taking it to a higher tier.

But this certainly was a surprise on finding out what carried over data REALLY mean from Verizon.

https://www.verizon.com/support/carryover-data-faqs/

Nowhere on #1 and #3 from the link above talks about the reset as how Verizon really mean it.

If I had leftover data for March, April, and May, then I should be able to use the prior month leftover data for the following month.  But nope! that's not what they mean!

If you have carried over data for every month of the year starting January, then you automatically have none for March, May, July.. so on... 

Be warned!   What a scam!

Re: Carried over data is scam
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

GodFADA,

I've fallen victim to overages as well, and I know it's never a good feeling when it happens. I'm sad to see there was some confusion with how the Carryover Data is set up. The link you shared in your post (Question #1 - https://www.verizon.com/support/carryover-data-faqs/) states that it "keeps your unused data in your account until the end of the following month's bill cycle," which means only for one month. I'll be taking your feedback to the proper folks regarding having it roll over, but as of now, the billing was certainly accurate and I'm glad my peers in Chat were able to help you out a bit too. You can always bump up the plan for one month and change it back the following, to provide you with more data in times of need. Check out the link here for more (https://m.vzw.com/m/huQP).

RyanC_VZW

0 Likes
GodFADA

RyanC,

But that's exactly why it's a scam.

As you stated ""keeps your unused data in your account until the end of the following month's bill cycle," which means only for one month."

I had 1.81GB left in April but couldn't use any of that on the following month of May.

Word for word, I don't think there's any confusion at all why it's a scam.

0 Likes
Doggo
Novice

You had 1.81GB left over in April. Because April didn't go over, the .03 from March was unused. May you went over by 2.1, this gets rounded up to 3GB or $45. This means you used the 1.8GB from April AND used an additional 2.1GB above that.

This is how carryover works. 

GodFADA

You'd think that's how it works, as I have already stated what you have said, but NO.

Yes I went over by 2.1 in May and that's what I was charged($45 extra) but this isn't after they had already taken account and deducted 1.81GB left over from April.

The bill clearly states how much data was used for the month and nowhere does it say any leftover data from the previous month was used to cover the overage before the final May total balance.

Moreover, the rep that I chatted with confirmed that I didn't receive any partial deduction from my last month leftover.  The rep simply stated that "it was reset" and this is how Verizon does it since it cannot handle continuous monthly carryover.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

We certainly get where you're coming from, and to better explain things, we'd need to discuss your total usage each bill cycle. To do that, we'll send you a Private Message to go over your usage in private. 

ZakC_VZW

0 Likes
GodFADA

I've replied to you via dm, and it's been days past and nothing..

0 Likes
GodFADA

Well I stopped waiting and took it up with Verizon billing over phone.

And of course Verizon did make a mistake and I was charged wrongly for the month of May.

Again, the carryover data did not apply when it should've.

So what was all this 'reset every other month' in a different context than what and how a carryover should work and 'that's why I had no carryover for May' that the chat rep was telling me??

And other Verizon rep saying the bill was "accurate"?

All bunch of garbage, either these Verizon reps are conjuring up their garbage reasoning on their own and lying to customers or they absolutely don't know what they were doing, or doesn't care enough to investigate further.

I received a full refund for the overcharge.

I still don't like the fact that the term 'one time customer courtesy adjustment' was used in the first place and this can't be undone but oh well can't win'em all.

Thank you Rep. Lisa(phone support) for actually knowing what was wrong and rectifying it.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

I do understand how annoying this process has to be. Unfortunately, our system isn't always in Real-Time when reporting usage. I hope this helps provide a little more clarity. CarterV_VZW

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

GodFADA, below is a link which describes how carryover data accrues and is utilized. If you believe there is an error, please continue with the Private Message. In addition, we can be reached on Facebook and Twitter.

https://www.verizon.com/support/carryover-data-faqs/

-Joshua

0 Likes