Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Death: Cancel/terminate Service Contract
PHYSTEE

What is the specific process to cancel/terminate/permanently end the Verizon Wireless service contract for a relative who dies? What does the legally designated Estate Personal Representative have to do and how?  Will Verizon send an e-mail or paper letter to the Estate Personal Representative to confirm the the Verizon Wireless account for the deceased has been permanently terminated?  If not, then how does the Personal Representative get a written confirmation to prove to the Court that the account has been terminated?

How long does it take for Verizon to cancel/terminate a fully paid up account for the deceased?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Death: Cancel/terminate Service Contract
deloused

Verizon can immediately terminate lines for customers that have deceased at their stores or customer service. The request would need to be done by an account manager. If the customer hadn't designated an account manager previously, Verizon can use your court designated personal representative papa rework as proof of authority to cancel.

Personally I am not aware of Verizon issuing written confirmation of account terminations, so I'm sorry I do not personally know the answers to your other questions. When my mom passed away about a year ago, as her persona representative I did not have to provide the Probate Court with any evidence that her accounts had been closed, only the status of outstanding accounts of creditors that had made valid claims with the court against her estate. (Such as if/what was paid). But I do know probate laws can vary by state.

0 Likes
Re: Death:  Cancel/terminate Service Contract
PHYSTEE

Thanks for the fast response. I've tried both in-store and phone customer service line - with Death Certificate. They are [Removed]. Not one person, including supervisors, knew the process. Each one misled me to believe the account was permanently closed each time. It wasn't. Their performance is inexcusable and unacceptable. I tried THREE times to get them to close-not suspend- my mother's cell phone account. I've written a detailed letter to the CEO of Verizon Wireless about his unacceptable oversight of the Customer Service operation.  Simply unbelievable. All the other people who have this problem is even more documented proof of their non-responsiveness to what should be a simple, straightforward task.

BTW, it doesn't matter whether the Court requires a letter documenting Verizon Wireless' action.  I REQUIRE IT for my records.  If they can send me an email saying they've Suspended the account with full billing continuing (when they told me they had closed it, I might add), then they can send me one saying the account has been permanently closed.  A simple computer programming update that a teenager could complete accurately.

Stay tuned.  I'll let you know if I get a response from John G. Stratton, CEO of Verizon Wireless.

inappropriate content  removed as required by the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service

Message edited by Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

Please accept our deepest apologies. We can definitely look into this for you. We have sent you a private message. Please respond back there.

AnthonyM_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
WHOKNO

Lady passed on 12/14/2019, her will and trust information appointed me as her personal representative or executor.  Since the end of December I have visited the local Verizon store who told me they only activate lines, my son visited the store in Orlando and was told they would take care of cancelling her account.  Phone calls have been made AND VERIZON KEEPS BILLING HER ACCOUNT ON A CONTINUAL MONTHLY BASIS.  One of the last letters said they were trying unsuccessfully to contact the deceased on her cell phone (really on top of things). Going to file a claim with FCC and State Utilities Commission and maybe get the local Congressional Staff on board as VERIZON JUST KEEP A BILLING ALONG.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

This is not the way we do business, especially during your time of need!  Please go into any corporate store with any official death documentation and we will immediately disconnect her account!

StephannieP_VZW

0 Likes
Gettingnowhere

I’m at my wits end. My brother was killed 4 weeks ago. His girlfriend (Also assaulted but recovering) was just recently added to his line. I have tried repeatedly as has her sister To get her line transferred back to the sisters account, terminate the 2 lines Remaining on the account. We have been told to go to the store, only to have the store tell us to call. Only to have spent 9 hours just on my end trying to get this resolved. I’m the PR, his sister, trying to cope with the loss, trauma of what happened, take care of the estate, house clean up and I cannot get a simple cell transaction completed or response. 

other companies have been great, supportive and actually have a dedicated dept to handle these issues. Why can’t you? Why do I have to read off your website to the customer service reps what it says for deceased account? Why do I have to keep telling your reps it’s not my account but my brothers. Why was I told the numbers were disconnected and then told they are not? Why can’t we transfer a phone number back to the sisters account? Why???  

Why do I have to repeat I cannot get the phone to anyone as the police have it?  I do not have any verizon corporate stores near me. I emailed the info and have heard nothing.  I checked again. Nothing. I have spent over 9 hours on this. Ridiculous. And no one will help!