Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Get up to $500 when you bring your phone. Plus, get the incredible iPhone 13 Pro on us. Online only. With select 5G Unlimited plans. Ends 12.5. Buy now
end of navigation menu
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
***Announcement: Early next week, we’ll be merging the current Fios and Wireless Communities into the all new Verizon Community! Beginning the evening of Sunday 12/4, both Communities will be placed in read-only mode. You’ll still be able to visit the Communities and browse content, but login will be disabled. On the afternoon of Monday 12/5, all users will be able to log into the new Verizon Community. We expect the new Community to be fully functional the morning of Friday 12/9. Additional details can be found in the Announcements board and under Featured Topics!
Deceptive Practices
bakerganz

In December 2020, I reached out to Verizon to understand upgrade options for an device that had been paid in full. The sales rep indicated a new phone would be available free of charge. I executed the order. When our statement arrived I saw a charge for the phone and a corresponding credit. I called customer service and was assured the new phone was indeed free. That verizon followed the charge/credit format monthly but that I in no way was being charged for the phone. Fast forward to today, I reached out to attempt an upgrade on this phone. I was told I would need to buy out the free phone and it would cost $400. The rep explained whatever I had been told before was an error and that if I wanted to change the phone I would need to pay the $400. The rep then went on to suggest that instead I could upgrade an inactive kid watch on our plan to get the new iphone for no charge, activate with the other cell phone number and then I dont even know what.... Have more lines than I need? This is ridiculous. I was REASSURED more than once that I owed nothing on the phone. I was lied to. I've been a customer for almost 20 years. I am at a complete loss!

Tags (1)
0 Likes
Re: Deceptive Practices
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

We know how important it is to understand your promotion. A free phone promotion does require the device to remain active on the line for the entirety of the promotion. This is because you do receive a monthly credit to offset your Device Payment. If you want to pay off the device early to upgrade, you would be required to pay the remaining balance of the device. This is how our promotions are set up, and everything you have described is correct. 

*Ellisandra

0 Likes
bakerganz

I understand what you are saying. However, I was told by the original sales rep I could upgrade at ANY TIME without incurring a buy out charge because of the trade in. I was told the SAME THING when I called to ask why my statement showed a charge/credit vs. no fee at all. It's not me being confused. Its me having been lied to. Play the tape.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

We are sorry you feel this way. We would be more than happy to assist. Please follow and DM us for help. 

*Cassandra

0 Likes