Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
end of navigation menu
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Device Payment Buyout Charge - Being Double-Billed?
COOLMOM53

I recently paid off my old S6 device in order to upgrade to the S7. I was on the 100% plan, so I paid the remainder in full - $443. When purchasing the S7, I put $200 down (which included a "free" iPad mini) towards the new device, so essentially this portion of the bill is fine. I expected to see approx. $230 on the next bill from adding that charge to the account. However, this month's bill properly shows my device paid off at $433, but also includes something that says Device Payment Buyout Charge (10 - 24) alongside and a NEW charge of $406. Considering I paid off my device in full before upgrading, what is this charge? I shouldn't owe anything at this point, and the S7 properly has a remaining payment plan balance separately in another field. Am I being double-billed for the cost of the remainder of the old device? Please advise, as I'm unsure of why this is on my bill.

Additionally, even if it was claimed to be an ETF, the fine print says it shouldn't exceed $350 minus however many months were left (10 months had been paid thus far when I upgraded). So the math there would be completely erroneous as well. Thanks in advance for any comments.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Device Payment Buyout Charge - Being Double-Billed?
JENWUN79

I too just looked at my bill. Wow I paid off 2 phones at $380 each!! Now have $349 early buyout fee for EACH phone!!! Wtf I was not on a 2 year contract. I have the more everything plan. I was never told that there would be any sort of fees to pay off phones. Just told that I could pay off the phones whenever I wanted and could upgrade at that point. So if I really do have to pay the fees plus the cost to pay off the phones I'm looking at $1450 in cell charges in about 2 months!! plus the actual bill. I am going to call Verizon later today and am hoping that there should not be a fee as I was not in a contract. I would NEVER had paid phones off and gotten new ones if I knew there would be a fee. Let alone $349 each.

0 Likes
COOLMOM53

Agreed. The fees also don't add up or make sense in context. A contract early termination fee shouldn't be more than $350, and that's IF you ended it right after you started it. But I was ten months in, so at most, any kind of fee should have been a little over half that amount. Let me know how you fare on the phone. I was hoping I could get an answer before signing away 4 hours of my life on the phone trying to deal with a rep.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

I'm sorry to hear your having an issue with your account. We never want you to feel your being double billed. I'm sure we can clear this up. I would be happy to review your account with you. Please reply to our private message so we can get to the bottom of this quickly.

JoeL_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
JENWUN79

Hi. I was not on a 2 year contract. I was told that I could upgrade at anytime if I paid the phones off. But there is a device buyout fee on my bill for both phones that I paid off. Can you please tell me why there are these fees? Thank you

--

Sent from myMail app for Android Wednesday, 20 July 2016, 11:03AM -04:00 from Verizon Wireless Customer Support forums@verizonwireless.com :

>A message from the Verizon Wireless Community

>Device Payment Buyout Charge - Being Double-Billed? created by Verizon Wireless Customer Support in My Verizon - View the full discussion

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

JENWUN79, we always want to set the right expectations for you when upgrading to a new devices. With the device payment plan, the full retail cost of your device is split into 24 monthly installments, which appear on your bill. There is no penalty for paying your device off early. Did you upgrade prior to paying the device off before the 24 months?

For more information regarding how the device installment plan works, click http://vz.to/1unPD5Z

LasinaH_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
JENWUN79

No I paid both devices off then went to store and picked out 2 new phones. I understand how the device is split into 24 months. When I paid the phones off it was at month 12.

--

Sent from myMail app for Android Wednesday, 20 July 2016, 01:15PM -04:00 from Verizon Wireless Customer Support forums@verizonwireless.com :

>A message from the Verizon Wireless Community

>Device Payment Buyout Charge - Being Double-Billed? created by Verizon Wireless Customer Support in My Verizon - View the full discussion

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

JENWUN79, we want all cost on your account to be correct for you. Since there are other options that can affect cost on account, it is best to take a look at your individual account and not generalize. At this time the best course of action is to contact us directly by dialing *611 from your wireless phone so we can take a look at your account itself.

StevenG_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
MAIXIO24

Did you ever get this "device payment buyout charge" solved?

0 Likes
MAIXIO24

i have the same question but what's different about mine is that i am no longer with verizon, i paid off both my galaxy s7 phones towards the end of my billing cycle. The next day i went to a different carrier and started service with them. I do expect a last and final statement from verizon, but what i don't understand is the "device payment buyout charge."

0 Likes