Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Don't Fall for Verizon Switch Scam
rgray787

Heed more warning: You will most likely not get any money from Verizon to cancel your contract with your current provider and switch.  I am sharing my experience just so that everyone else is aware of how this program works.

I went into my local Verizon Wireless store to inquire about switching over from Sprint.  The Verizon rep told me that Verizon offers up to $650 per line to switch.  In my instance, I was paying off two iPhones in monthly installments with Sprint--so the Verizon rep informed that they would only offer to pay cancellation/acceleration fees associated with leaving Sprint before finishing paying off the phones.  In other words, Verizon would only cover the balance I owed on the phones and not any fees associated with my actual service with Sprint.  This all sounded fine to me, so I decided to participate in the switch program.

BEWARE: When you sign your new contract with Verizon, there is absolutely no mention of the Switch program and how it works.  The Verizon reps use this to their advantage and will tell you lies about how the program works in to get you to sign the contract, which will allow them to collect their commission.  In order to be eligible for the Switch Program, YOU MUST first trade in your current device. I'll tell you how the Switch Program actually works, but first I will tell you the lies that the Verizon rep told me about the Switch program. FIRST. The Verizon rep told me that I must trade in my two iPhones.  I traded in my iPhones and the rep told me that she would apply a $300 credit for each phone ($600 total) to my upcoming Verizon bill.  SECOND.  The Verizon rep told me that the $600 I received in credit is deducted from the $1,300 ($650 for two lines = $1,300) that I am eligible to receive from Verizon to cancel with Sprint.  In other words, as long as my cancellation fees did not exceed $350 for each line ($700 total), Verizon will cover whatever cancellation fees I have with Sprint. THIRD. The Verizon rep told me that I all I would have to do is submit my final bill from Sprintl and Verizon will pay Sprint directly.

I accept partial responsibility by not reading about how the Verizon Switch program actually works before going into my local Verizon store. But shame on the Verizon reps for selling this blatant lie.  Here is how the program actually works:

Like I said, you must trade in your current devices to be eligible for the Switch Program.  I traded in two iPhones, and I was told I would receive a $300 credit for each phone ($600 total) on my Verizon bill. I received my final bill from Sprint; the total of this final bill was $705.00, but only $476.00 of this were cancellation fees--which means Verizon is only responsible for covering $476.00. I went into my local Verizon store to submit my final bill, and I was informed that I had to submit my bill online.  I was also told that after I submit my bill, Verizon will send me a Visa Gift Card in the amount of my cancellation fees.  (Yes, Verizon will NOT  pay your previous carrier directly; you will receive this money in the form of a gift card).

So I submitted my final bill on Verizon Switch's website. A few weeks later, I received an e-mail stating that I was not eligible to receive any gift card.  Remember how I said you have to trade in your phone?  Here's the catch, Verizon includes the credit they give you for the phones as payment for your cancellation fees. They gave me $600 in credit for my phones, and since my cancellation fees were $476.00, Verizon says they owe me nothing.  If my cancellation fees exceeded the $600 credit, only then would they give me a gift card with the difference. So no, regardless of the what Verizon rep will tell you, you will not receive a credit for your trade-in AND your cancellation costs.  The trade-in credit goes to your cancellation costs.

So I called to find out when this $600 credit will show up on my Verizon account.  I was informed that the credit won't show on my account until after three months of being with Verizon.  HERE'S THE OTHER CATCH:  The credit will be broken up into 24 months--TWO YEARS.  I informed the person at the call center that I expected to receive payment/credit as a lump sum.  I was informed that there is no way to issue this credit as a lump sum because the credit is locked in with the monthly payments I am making on the two new Verizon phones.  However, if I decided to pay off the phones right then and there, the credit would disappear--which means the only way for me to ever see this money Verizon owes me is by staying with them for TWO YEARS.

So now I am stuck with a $700 bill because I switched over to Verizon, and I have to wait two whole years to receive the money Verizon promised me to switch.  SO BEWARE.

If you're okay with how this program works, that is fine.  I just want to make sure that nobody else is duped like me.  Get everything in writing, guys.  Like I said, there is no mention of the Verizon Switch program in your contract, so make sure that everything the Verizon rep tells you is in writing.

Verizon should be ashamed of themselves for tricking customers like this.  I feel sorry anyone who has gotten tricked and does not just have an extra $700 lying around to pay their previous carrier. This is not right.

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
Re: Don't Fall for Verizon Switch Scam
DAVDUN8

This is totally true. The sales reps don't even mention it if you don't bring it up then some don't even know how it works other give different answers to how it works but most agree that all you need to do is turn in your final bill. But in reality they ask also for your receipt for having turned in any phone from the other carrier AND the final but. After that they say they never got it or information is missing etc. If after several attempts you do get them to admit having they the information they pull out the [Removed] about it not meeting whatever requirements they can find. NONE OF THIS IS EVEN REMOTELY EXPLAINED WHEN THEY ARE SIGNING YOU UP FOR YOUR NEW PHONE OF COURSE. VERIZON IS JUST ANOTHER CAPITALISTIC CROOKED AMERICAN COMPANY EXTRACTING VALUE FROM THEIR VICITIMS TO LINE THE POCKETS OF THEIR CEO! PLEASE DO NOT SIGN UP WITH VERIZON!!!

profanity removed as required by the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service

Message edited by Verizon Moderator

jsimon963

And worse, you have to actually enter into the new Verizon deal first; IE

get your new phone and contract. Then you send them your existing phone,

thinking they will hold up to their end of the deal. Now they have you by

the balls, they have you under contract now with new "leased" phones, and

you still owe somebody else for the other phones. Then they start backing

off of the deal, leaving you with no option.

DAVDUN8

Absolutely, it is a total scam. Once they have you signed up they know you aren't going anywhere, at least not for a while. So then they are confident in pulling any dirty tricks they like. That's business as usual in America.

Get Outlook for Android<https://aka.ms/ghei36>

vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

We never want to leave you feeling abandoned or without options, jsimon963. Help is here. When did you make the switch? How long ago was you trade in submitted? Have you reached out to the Switch team at 844-408-8470 for status?

LorenB_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
DJSMITH77

I just switched over from Sprint and I don't feel I was baited.  Once I read that Verizon was going to offer unlimited, I became interested in switching back over to Verizon.  As I was browsing online, a little chat message popped up.  So I chatted.... long story short, the representative I was chatting with mentioned that I could trade my (already paid off) iphone in by "porting" my number over to Verizon and I could also get "trade-in-value" on trading the phone in.  I'd get a credit of $27.00 over the length of two years (after 2-3 billing cycles), pretty much making the new iphone free that I would be getting from Verizon as long as I kept the service for two years.  That's the way you get your credit and that's the way Verizon doesn't lose out in the long run.  If they gave me $600 upfront, what happens to Verizon if I cancel the service a few months down the line?  They lose out on $600.... so they pay it out over two years.  "If there's a fair exchange, no robbery".....  I'm basically get an iphone for free as long as I stick with Verizon for two years because the device payments for the new iphone will be credited from the iphone I ported over.

DAVDUN8

So good for you, who cares? One out of 100 who were swindled still does not speak well of Verizon and its scam promising something it really has no intention of delivering by coming up with lame excuses and outright lies. All they have to do is just do what they promised. All this [Removed] of saying they didn't get the right information or didn't get any information or golly gee what information we got just isn't good enough. The plain fact is that overly complicated requirements to fulfill for something this simple is tantamount to fraud. And I feel so bad for poor billion dollar Verizon who might get the shaft once in a while by dishonest customers. Waa, waa!!! Then I have an idea; don't make offers you can't live up to!! Most of their customers are going to follow through and pay their bills. All the rest of us who have been screwed is for Verizon to do the right thing. It looks more and more as though we are going to have to get together and have a class action lawsuit over this issue.

inappropriate content removed as required by the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service

Message edited by Verizon Moderator

BLUDREAMYGIRL2323

Thank you! I have yet to see any gift card. Now they tell me it may take up to 2 weeks but if you don't get it by the end of March!    The US Mail is THAT slow.? I don't think so. There should be no reason on earth we should have to wait 2 weeks to a month! They said they mailed it the 24th. Something doesn't add up. So..how would you and anyone else feel about a class action lawsuit?

I read up on how to do it and I've already got a good attorney. Anyone???

I'm serious , this has to stop!

rcschnoor
Sr. Leader
Sr. Leader

BLUDREAMYGIRL2323 wrote:

So..how would you and anyone else feel about a class action lawsuit?

I read up on how to do it and I've already got a good attorney. Anyone???

I'm serious , this has to stop!

Has that "good attorney" pointed out the US Supreme court has decided you cannot file a class action lawsuit against your cellular provider. You will simply have to settle for your own action against Verizon.

Why you can't sue your wireless carrier in a class action - CNET