Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Get up to $500 when you bring your phone. Plus, waived smartphone activation fee when you buy online. Limited time offer.
end of navigation menu
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Double Charged Activation Fees
AW1968

Has anyone been charged twice for their activation fee? I was charged February and March on all 4 of my phones. 

Tags (3)
0 Likes
Re: Double Charged Activation Fees
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

We always want you to be billed correctly. We can help you here. A Private Note will be sent to assist. BrittanyC_VZW

0 Likes
ash2323

I was charged an Activation Fee in the Verizon store (not secondary seller), and then again on my Verizon bill.

I then called Corp. Verizon, and was essentially told the merchant shouldn't have charged me as well.  I was essentially told that Verizon had no recourse, and that the merchant would need to be contacted.  Again, this was a Verizon store that I dealt with, so how could there be a separation of accountability?

Very strange way to do business, and maybe hopes that the customer won't notice?

vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

ash2323, we never want for you to be paying more than you should be. I have gone ahead and sent you a Private Note so we may discuss this further. 

ChristineK_VZW

0 Likes
itsmekaren

My question is why does Verizon charge you an "upgrade fee" of $40 per line when you buy a new phone? I bought two Samsung S21s at Best Buy  and paid for them in full. On my Verizon bill, there was a mysterious charge of $40 on each line that they don't explain in the billing. It's just labeled as a "change." After texting with an agent, I was able to get one of the charges refunded and they explained it's a one time "upgrade fee."  What exactly is being "upgraded?"

Seriously, what does Verizon do when when you buy a new phone other than have to recognize you have a new phone? It has nothing to do with your service....I have the same numbers, and same plan....This kind of thing drives me crazy - when you are charged a completely made up fee.

What does Verizon do that costs $40 per line? I know other carriers do it too, and it's one of those things they do that they think people will just accept and pay. But it's wrong. 

The agent I worked with was trying their best, and I appreciated it. They were trying to tell me the retailer should have waived the fee, but Best Buy doesn't have access to your billing!! It's something the carrier does!!

Anyway, I hope Verizon responds and can justify this fee. I bet they can't. I can maybe see it on a new account, but when you have loyal customers who have been with you for years and years, it's outrageous. 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

Hello itsmekaren. We appreciate your business and know the importance of understanding the Upgrade Fee. We charge a one-time Upgrade fee any time you upgrade a mobile device on the Verizon network. This fee applies regardless of the device type, since each device is set up individually. The upgrade fee is a one-time charge for changing to a new device on the Verizon network. This fee is refunded if you return the device within 14 days of the date of purchase.

For this charge, Verizon gives access to a range of services, tools and personalized support to help ensure your device is set up for a seamless experience on America's most awarded network:

• 30 days of personalized tech support for smartphones (60 days if purchased online). Upon activation or upgrade, the line is sent a free Verizon text with a 30 (or 60) day link for personalized support.
  • Provisioning and troubleshooting of a Verizon SIM card.
  • Verizon Smart Setup - Assists in setting up the device, migrating your information, backing up your phone (facilitating content and contact transfer) and helping you process any trade-in and more.  https://www.verizon.com/support/upgrade-device-faqs/
0 Likes
morisky
Novice

Sounds like typical Verizon lies. It is either double charge for fees, or lie about "free" phones. 

In December I received a text; "get an iPhone 12 mini on us". It had a link and also a phone number to take to access the offer. I called the number and spoke to a VerizonTelesales Solutions rep. As required by the offer I switched to an unlimited plan, signed up for auto pay, sent in my old iPhone (Verizon acknowledges that they received it). I contacted VerizonTelesales Solutions rep and he put a note in my customer file showing the original offer including the text of the original offer showing that they included a phone number to call (Verizon reps often lie and tell you that the customer did something wrong like call instead of click a link). The information about the return of my iPhone is also noted on my customer file. I have had two reps tell me everything I need to qualify for the offer is there. The last one told me that she has "never seen such a well-documented ticket, everything is there". The issue is that it is such an unusual retention offer that Verizon cannot find the code to enter into the system-so they keep charging me for a "free" phone. They have told me two that it will be fixed on the third billing cycle. Just got the bill for the third time since this started and there is a device charge. I was offered a free iPhone with 64 gb memory, I chose a 128 gb and should only have a device charge of around four dollars. The last two reps at least understand everything, but they say an adjustment form has been filed, just wait five business days-well it has been ten since I heard that. Terrible way to treat a customer of nine years that is out of contract. Giving this about one more week before I pay off the device (that should have been "free") and move on to another carrier. Even if this is "fixed" the customer service rep interaction is exhausting, and it takes about an hour and fifteen minutes for each call to find out the status of the correction.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

We understand the importance of having a promotion correctly applied to your account, morisky. We want to ensure your account is reflecting the correct billing each month, and would be more than happy to look into this together. Please send us a Private Note to get started. 

CheyenneS_VZW

0 Likes
porttucky666

I bought a phone in june, paid the first bill with a $35 one time activation fee. and now for my next bill it has another $35 one time activation fee. why do i have to pay it again?

0 Likes
KH-OrnEsh

Due to the age of this thread, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes