Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Get up to $500 when you bring your phone. Plus, waived smartphone activation fee when you buy online. Limited time offer.
end of navigation menu
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
EARLY UPGRADE SCAM
Nellfamily

I Knew I wasn't the only one!  I went online to check on upgrade and was allowed to upgrade my line so I did.  I was asked if I wanted to trade in old phone answer no and proceeded.  Order confirmation doesn't show trade in and box with new phone contained nothing about it.  I started receiving text days later about not being credited the fee I was charged if I didn't return the phone.  I didn't worry about that because I wasn't charged a fee.  Then the emails started saying I would be charged a fee if I didn't return the phone.  CallEd Verizon and spoke with Customer Service who told me she would make a note on my file and lets just wait and see what happens.  Then the automated phone calls started.  I call Verizon again where I was getting no where so I asked for a supervisor. I was told by the supervisor that he would call me back a few days after my bill cycle ended because nothing could be done until then.  Waited for days no call.  Called them again after being transfer no less than 5 times I was told I would receive a call yesterday after he would have a chance to speak to the person over him.  Oh yeah! He gave me his word and informed me he was a man of his word.  I have been with Verizon since they aquired Alltel.  I can't believe they treat there loyal customers like this. I have upgrades coming up and if they want to lose me over a 199 fee they know they are wrongfully charging me there loss.  I will start moving my lines with every upgrade. The true kicker to this story is the phone they want me to trade in is my iPhone 6 plus that I'm still making payments on.  During the holiday season the last thing I want to be doing is arguing.  To all who are in the same boat as me rest assured we are not alone and I won't be surprside if a class action suit isn't already in the making.  Another suggestigon is take your complaints away from there site and post your complaints on social media.  I don't expect anyone to read this long complaint but I had to write it because Verizon isn't listening and no they don't care.

Thanks

Labels (1)
Re: EARLY UPGRADE SCAM
flutterfly8497

How were you eligible for an early upgrade when your 6s is only a few months old? Did you buy it using another line's upgrade and now you are using your line's early upgrade for this most recent purchase? When you use an early upgrade, generally there are several limitations, like having to turn in the phone that is active on the line with the upgrade and having a small selection of phones to choose from. I don't quite understand how you qualified for such an early upgrade otherwise.

0 Likes
Nellfamily

I used another lines upgrade for the iPhone 6 Plus a few months ago.  In November, I did an early upgrade online where I gave my upgrade to another line.  I used Verizon's website for all my transactions.  I went through the whole process and was never told I had to turn in old phone. I thought they were allowing early upgrades because the phones were about to go on sale for the holidays. I guess I was wrong because even though all the information I received it never mentions anything about returning old phone it was expected to be understood.  By the time, I realized they would charge me a fee it was to late to return the phone.    I don't know if they were having website problems or what but it allowed me to upgrade. 

Punished for website's mistake!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

Nellfamily, we never want for you to feel like this. We only want for you to have a stellar experience with us. We will be saddened to see you leave us. We would love to have a chance to work with you to get this resolved. How did you go about the upgrade such a 2 year contract or the Device Payment Plan? What device did you get?
ZangY_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Nellfamily

I Would have thought that Verizon cared about long time loyal customers but after several calls, live chats and empty promises I really don't believe they care.  I used the device payment plan to purchase a Samsung Galaxy S6 edge+.

0 Likes
flutterfly8497

If you have a screen shot of your order and the terms of your order, without the info on returning your phone as a condition of the upgrade, print it out and take it to a corporate store and show them the order absent the requirement of turning in your current phone as proof and maybe you would get resolution. Don't post it here unless you remove all personal info (name, phone number, account number, payment info, etc.). If there is no mention of returning a functioning smartphone, you may have a leg to stand on here...otherwise, it's "he said, she said," and Verizon will do nothing. I hope you can get satisfaction with this if it was Verizon's error.

0 Likes
Nellfamily

Thank you!  I never thought about taking it into there store but at this point I'm just done. You know that feeling. I have a screen shot, I have the information on Verizon where they store all your orders and changes you make, I have the text messages, emails and record of phone calls.  I've offered to email them what I have because they act as thought they don't see it. They have nothing where I agreed to return the old device as I have ask for the proof numerous times. At this point, all they can do is make it right. I have an upgrade coming this month and I will start moving my lines from Verizon.  By February I will have two lines moved. At the at point two down three to go will pay off devices as soon as possible and completely moved. I can't believe they expect me to pay for there mistake. What else can I do but pay it and move on.

0 Likes
Atmkathy

I just has hubby move from a different provider and planned getting a pretty big credit for his old HTC One.  They are supposed to send me a box within 10 days.  Crossing fingers!

0 Likes
flutterfly8497

Personally, I would keep fighting the charge despite the frustration.  It's hard to argue against words on paper, and you may actually get the situation rectified. Just think, if 100 people were charged $200 for a non return fee caused by a technical error in the online ordering system, that's $20,000 in Verizon's favor! Keep fighting the good fight, and keep us posted on what happens! Merry Christmas!

0 Likes
Nellfamily

You may want to do your toes also.  Make sure you get it all straight before its to late to return the phone and back out.  What good that did me because they left me twisting in the wind until it was to late to return the phone and blackout of upgrade.  I do wish you the best and hope your transaction is drama free!

0 Likes