Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Email locked out - 2FA reverted to previous phone number
Pendergast

Hello,

So as the title states, I am currently locked out of my email account due to the 2FA being reset to my previous phone number rather then using my current number. Customer support for the company hosting the email has been unhelpful and insists that only my old phone number can unlock the account.

I visited my local Verizon authorized retailer on Monday for assistance where the only help they could offer me was to verify the line was disconnected and available but they cannot retrieve and hold the number, that i would have to ask customer support for help with. However today i was told the line was in use by customer support. I tried calling my old number and received the automated notice that the number had been changed,  line disconnected, or no longer in service.

So I'm not sure what to do and was searching for more assistance. I'm stressed due to the fact that my email receives work/health/bills info as well as old family photos, messages and archives that i am now locked out of.

I'm feeling desperate at this point and the communication inconsistency is adding more stress. I'm willing to open and keep a new line if that's what it takes to reclaim my old number. I just need access to my email.

I still retain the original phone and sim-card that used to host my old number. My family still owns the account and plan that number was associated too, but I'm well aware of the limitations of numbers being recycled and they technically no longer hold the number after a set amount of days.

As for myself, i opened up my own account back when i had a falling out with my family hence why i have my current number, and why i no longer use my previous number. I can also provide more info if needed.

Would anyone else be able to offer more advice or point out who-else i can ask for help?

0 Likes
Re: Email locked out - 2FA reverted to previous phone number
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

Pendergast, we are sorry to hear that you have had issues with your email account. As I know that I store all sorts of things within my email I can only begin to imagine how important this is. One challenge that we face is that as numbers are recycled so quickly they are also bought and sold in lots and this may no longer even be a Verizon Wireless number. How long has it been since you had use of this number? If the number is available, while there is no option to place a hold on it, there certainly would be an option to activate it on a device. Should you wish to do so, our sales team would be happy to assist with setting up the line to activate that service at 800-225-5499.

-Loren

0 Likes
Pendergast

@vzw_customer_support 

Thank you for the quick reply, it has been approximately 2 years, I will give that number a call and hopefully resolve this.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

Keep us updated!

*Breanna

0 Likes