Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Final bill paid and followed up on and is now on credit reports
mwillis1991

I switched from an individual Verizon phone plan to a family plan in November 2019, and paid the final bill $130.81 in question ON TIME 11/19 over the phone (from instructions provided in the final paper bill). This was intended to save money and remain a Verizon customer as my device was also paid off. I could not login to my old account and opted out of sending a physical check. I've made numerous attempts to correct the situation and have hit dead ends with scripted responses; false expectations; and reps making condescending remarks that I never paid the bill. This $130 bill has catastrophically damaged my credit 100 points and will remain there paid/unpaid for the next 7 years unless deleted by Verizon. 

Where can I have this issue addressed??? I don't want to lose my right to further contest through mediation or arbitration with an invisible disinterested 3rd party. I have pages of documentation showing payment was made, and even then followed up on before the credit report. 

If I pay the $130.81 again, it will be assumed the debt is valid and someone later reviewing the case file will see this as delinquent or customer error. I am happy to prepay the current family plan by $200 on the condition there is a satisfied resolution. 

This unfortunate circumstance has caused an intense amount of stress. With this item remaining on  my credit report, I will be paying thousands more in interest on a new car loan (my beater pickup is approaching unreliability) and may lose out on job opportunities within the next month.

0 Likes
Re: Final bill paid and followed up on and is now on credit reports
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

We would be happy to look into your concerns with you, and make sure you have the next step to get assistance. Please tell us, have you tried visiting a direct Verizon Wireless location, or contacting us regarding this matter previously? - Robert

0 Likes
mwillis1991

I went to Verizon Wireless location at:
7700 SW Dartmouth St. Ste. 190
Tigard, OR 97223

They quickly told me just to call with customer service, and that they don't handle billing issues. I've spent close to 2 hours over the phone and 5 hours assembling all documentation that I paid my bill in full;was not negligent or delinquent; nor did I ignore mail notices before the credit mark. Why would I intentionally pay the wrong account and forget about it? I've paid $200 cell phone bills before with no missed payments.

The response of, "The account was not reported in error, thus cannot be removed from credit reporting," 'is not acceptable in this circumstance as this is not customer negligence or delinquency or error (based on a couple posts). I've been courteous to every single rep and can't seem to get someone to review and delete this from my credit reports. It will cost me thousands in extra interest, rates, and loan declines for the next 7 years.

Here are my call log notes from earliest to present. I just need someone who can help me with this as I don't want to have to spend more time going to the BBB, Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, and my state's Attorney General. It has been a very unfair situation...... Thank you. 

6/19: I spoke with a woman around 2 pm PST at 800-852-1922 about the 106 page document sent to the address in the note below showing final bill was bill paid and diligently followed up on prior to the credit reporting. She put me on hold close to 5 minutes, which I believe was a quick walk to the supervisor's desk at the end of the aisle. After that, she provided no information on how to further escalate, and that her supervisor would call back on Monday (The supervisor likely won't call back and probably gave my report a 1 minute scan). I told her the credit report mark has no specific details on reporting based on the wireless customer agreement and the final mail notices that I followed up on before. She just didn't know and provided a scripted response from the supervisor.

6/14/20: Naomi provided an email address to submit dispute. (800-852-1922) is the number from the credit reports). She let me know they review documentation within 24 hours and I waited 3 days after submitting
Email: [email address removed per the Verizon Terms of Service]

6/14/20: I contacted customer service about verifying the call logs to ensure there was consistent accurate information. Carlos provided detail on the 1/20 but was unable to furnish this proof due to internal policy. Also, he could not find my calls in the billing statements to customer service 800-922-0204.

5/28/20: Around 3 pm, Lassandra Jackson from Convergent Outsourcing Inc., contacted me regarding the bill in question. I provided her the information from the Verizon customer service call that was going to adjust account. I politely informed her that further correspondence would be sent via mail, and that Convergent should receive an update from Verizon.

6/1/20 Call to Verizon Customer Service inquiring about call log. Christina with customer service provided me information as to when my first call was made inquiring about the final bill and she provided the 1/20/20 phone call (Customer called about bill). My bills do not show phone calls to customer service and she bluntly stated they do not provide screen captures of call log notes. Also, a PIN was set up prior to asking about previous calls made.

5/27/20: Call #2 Not satisfied with my response, I call customer service again to reiterate and further press the issue. I informed Laura of the details, the previous account number, and information of previous attempts made to correct this. Laura put me on hold and assured me the issue will be corrected and that she will call me later tonight. After receiving Laura’s follow up call, she put in a ticket for the adjustment to the bill and credit report. I politely thanked her for the professional service provided and was she informed me that correspondence of this correction would be made via mail or email. As of 6/20, I have not received correspondence or updates of this adjustment or change to my credit file.

5/27 Call #1 Around noon PST. This call was placed after receiving news of Verizon’s derogatory collection item on my credit reports. Danisha in customer service did not provide information or further research on the previous account, and only put in a request to adjust the account. I asked for a supervisor regarding the credit reporting and she put me on hold saying the request was made (that her supervisor would say the same thing), and that there was nothing else she could do after that and scolded me for being a fool with credit.

4/14/20 I made a call to Sequium Asset Solutions (instead of them calling me). I
informed this rep that the final bill should not be in collections; was not delinquent; and was not a customer error, further citing the 1/20 follow up with Verizon customer service. Rep made this rude remark," No this account is past due, do you understand me?" This rep also said she would notate the account and have Verizon contacted regarding the error, so this could finally be corrected. Unfortunately, this request did not take place, and my credit score plummeted a whopping 100 points by 5/17 through my free Discover credit card FICO monthly credit score.

1/20/20: Call was made to Customer Service to verify no issues with final bill and account is current (I had no confirmation email from Verizon; could not log into my old account; and did not have a check to send as all payments were made through MyVerizon with my debit card each month). I had final bill next to me with information and was assured everything was fine, and that final mailings were in error.

0 Likes
Tigerstep

Whatever you paid sounds like the last completed cycle and not the cycle you transferred out of.

Lemme give an example based of how Verizon cycles work.

Let's say your bills were due Nov 10th and you transferred the same day. You paid in full and owe nothing, right? Not quite.

What would have been due Nov 10th would be bill cycle Sept 18th - Oct 17th. (example is the 10th to make it easier to keep track of cycle since you add 7 and that is when a cycle closes)

The cycle your transfer occured would be Oct 18th - Nov 17th. where the due date would have been Dec 10th.

Actual money owed would be based on your billing period and days active during that cycle, but this is how it's easy to think you paid while still oweing on a final bill.

0 Likes
mwillis1991

What you explained is precisely correct on those dates. I just paid the final paper bill that was sent to my address in full over the phone. I could not send in a physical check nor could I login to my old account. 

I always receive emails from Verizon and pay the previous month on time, all the time. I got a second mail notice for that same bill same amount previously paid, and store reps and call center cs said the account has no issues (Remember this bill was paid in full). 

I'll have to keep pursuing this somehow, and really can't have this on my credit reports. Why would I pay the final bill amount and ignore mail notices? Hopefully somebody can chime in for a manager that can review the 31 page case (emails, mails, bank statements, call logs, etc.) proving I paid and followed up to confirm proper payment on the final bill.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

mwillis1991, 

We understand this is frustrating for you. We apologize for the trouble you are experiencing. The collection company that has your account should dispute it for you. They will then reach out to us to research. You can also dispute the activity on your credit report. This will initiate an investigation on our end as well. If you have exhausted all options, you can reach out to our Recovery Team at 800-852-1922. 

JenelleW_VZW

0 Likes
mwillis1991

Thanks for all that contributed. I did get this resolved on Friday with an email confirming the deletion on all 3 credit reports. I scheduled an appointment at a corporate store downtown and the manager Wendy was able to pull my transaction detail and work with an Ops Analyst named Ryan to resolve this. I received excellent service from them, and they made it right. 

It took great pains to get this done, and also fend off those awful collection reps. I was able to stop all calls early on and send my documents in the mail. Hopefully this post helps someone at a later date as it's better to do this in-person or through mail.

0 Likes