Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
end of navigation menu
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Fraudulent Long Distance Charges
gmaennicke

I called my friend a few weeks ago in the Netherlands using WhatsApp, like I have many times before. However, somehow this time Verizon is charging me long distance for the call!

I have called customer service so many times at this point and all that happens is that I speak to someone who puts me on hold, and then the call gets dropped. 

I even went in to a Verizon store several days ago, waited in line for an hour, and all they could tell me was to call the customer service line. 

At this point I am considering just cancelling my service, since it appears that no one works here. 

Re: Fraudulent Long Distance Charges
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

Hello gmaennicke,

I would be concerned too if I received an unexpected charge on my bill! Verizon Wireless only charges you for an international call if our services were used to complete the call. When using a third party service like WhatsApp, the app may have the call go over the airtime minutes through the cellular network instead. If this happens, the call is being placed the same as any other voice call on the network. Since you said you did call the Netherlands, you were charged correctly for the call taking place over our voice network. 

If you want to use a third party app in the future, we'd recommend turning on Airplane mode and then connecting to Wi-Fi to ensure there is no cellular connection taking place for the app you are using to switch over to. We also offer International Calling Plans to fit your specific need. They can be found here: https://www.verizon.com/plans/international/international-calling/

-Christopher

0 Likes
silver6055

@vzw_customer_support wrote:

Hello gmaennicke,

I would be concerned too if I received an unexpected charge on my bill! Verizon Wireless only charges you for an international call if our services were used to complete the call. When using a third party service like WhatsApp, the app may have the call go over the airtime minutes through the cellular network instead. If this happens, the call is being placed the same as any other voice call on the network. Since you said you did call the Netherlands, you were charged correctly for the call taking place over our voice network. 

If you want to use a third party app in the future, we'd recommend turning on Airplane mode and then connecting to Wi-Fi to ensure there is no cellular connection taking place for the app you are using to switch over to. We also offer International Calling Plans to fit your specific need. They can be found here: https://www.verizon.com/plans/international/international-calling/

-Christopher

Pretty sure that WhatsApp can't make a call over the voice network, it uses data, either Wifi or cellular.  @gmaennicke does your phone call log show a record for the call?   If so, it might be user error.

0 Likes
LuisChrisD

Hi @gmaennicke, It's happen to me too. I used WhatsApp to call family and friends all the time and now Verizon Wireless is charging me over $105 dollars for so called "Int'l Long Distance call" this month. They gave me the same nonsense reason. I told them I paid for Unlimited Data Plan, that's the fee for my WhatsApp calls or other similar App calls already, even though I had used cellular data. Then the manager told me it's WhatsApp's fault. Verizon launched a feature to block glitch since Oct 2021. If that's the case, we could be notified and this could be avoided. After dealing with the bad customer service and unethical business practice, it's time for us to move on too.

#fraudulent Long Distance Charges

#whatsapp

0 Likes
LuisChrisD

Hi @silver6055 @vzw_customer_support It's happen to me too. I used WhatsApp to call family and friends all the time and now Verizon Wireless is charging me over $105 dollars for so called "Int'l Long Distance call" this month (and may other months, I haven't had time to check yet). They gave me the same nonsense reason. I told them I paid for Unlimited Data Plan, that's the fee for my WhatsApp calls or other similar App calls already, even though I had used cellular data. Then the manager told me it's WhatsApp's fault. Verizon launched a feature to block glitch since Oct 2021. If that's the case, we could be notified and this could be avoided. After dealing with the bad customer service and unethical business practice, it's time for us to move on too.

#fraudulent Long Distance Charges

#whatsapp

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

Hi, LuisChrisD. We appreciate your efforts in contacting us and I share your concerns about the charges on your account. I'm here to help. Please note that if you use cellular data, an unlimited plan from WhatsApp will not still billing for receive. If you intend to make a long distance call using WhatsApp, we recommend temporarily removing your Verizon SIM to ensure that the international call is made using WhatsApp. 

-Lorenzo

0 Likes
psindh1989

so you are saying that, every time we make a international call via whatsapp, we should remove our sim.

This is so stupid

0 Likes
acraftylady2

If you are going to use a 3rd party app put your phone in airplane mode.  It's not Verizon fault, you should be complaining to the app maker.

BornTrucker

I agree with others that you should be contacting Whatsapp to figure out what is happening but if verizon won't help, consider filing a complaint with the FCC. They will actually force someone at Verizon to address this, whether that is through an account credit or something with Whatsapp, you're more likely to get some actual help that way. 

I wouldn't bother removing the sim, airplane mode should be safe enough but verizon is becoming worse and worse about shady business practices so this isn't surprising in the least.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

We are sorry to read that you feel this way. Calls made through third party apps will not show on the Verizon end as regular calls. Services like Whatsapp rely on data for the service to go through. How often do you make international calls? ~Roger

0 Likes