Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Getting a security deposit back is STILL A JOKE
Soran1421

I felt obligated to post this after a painful ordeal in getting a $400 security deposit back that was paid over 8 years ago when i opened my account with bad credit. Verizon is the only truly reliable service in my area, and i really don't want to leave.

There is a TLDR at the bottom since it is a long read.

I inquired a few years into the contract when my credit was better, and was told that as long as I had an active device payment (EDGE PLAN) i could not get it back. So, very irritated, I let it go for many more years, disgruntled.

Now, I don't have a a contract or device payments, so inquired again late 2019. It took over an hour and 3 transfers to other departments to be told that they didn't see any security deposit and there was nothing they could do. I immediately asked for a supervisor. The supervisor took a little bit to investigate, and said did see a security deposit on the account, but it was only $300 something. Whatever i thought, maybe I was wrong in memory on the amount, at least i'll get most back. The "Supervisor" stated she would send a form, that it would be odd, but i would need to do a credit line increase request so they could re-run my credit. I said whatever, send the form, thanks for telling me you can see the money.

Fastforward two weeks, I get this form, and it it was exactly as she said, a credit line increase authorization. However, it had an A, B, or C option listed, and said to fill the form out based on the circumstances. The JOKE was that there was not actually a second page, therefore no form. There wasn't even a place to sign, clearly a page was not sent. So now at this point, I'm livid, and figure i'll go to the store in person and sign whatever they need in person so they can give me my money back. Yea right, the corporate store said they couldn't help me since I signed up over the phone initially. 

So today, I called Verizon, and yet again had to ask for Supervisor as the initial rep said she couldn't help, said she couldn't see any deposit i was owed. Clearly yet again the initial tier of support doesn't understand this process at all. After getting disconnected while waiting for a supervisor, i called back one final time and asked for a supervisor immediately. This time was much different.

I got lucky to speak with a supervisor named Lawrence, who was the first person from Verizon in many years who made me actually valued as a customer. He apologized for my poor experience so far. After he reviewed my account, and told me he could see the $400 security deposit and that I meet all the checkpoints to be eligible for one. I provided him my payment card number for the credit to be issues. He said it is a 7 business day process but that assured me I met the requirements and will get it back. Lawrence was simply fantastic and I hope this man is appreciated by Verizon for his competence and charisma. He is the only reason why i have not terminated my account. 

TLDR

• Ask for a supervisor immediately. It is evident that Verizon intentionally does not train their lower tiers correctly to handle these kind of issues.
  • You must meet all checkpoints to be eligible, the supervisors can find this list.
  • Don't let them tell you they need to send you anything in the mail. Demand an internal refund inquiry be opened.
  • GET A CASE NUMBER FOR YOUR ISSUE
  • Verizon reps do not document their interactions over the phone well at all.
  • Finally, the most important, STAND YOUR GROUND and get your FULL deposit back.

0 Likes
Re: Getting a security deposit back is STILL A JOKE
Tigerstep

Security deposits are only held for year.

A supervisor also won't improve your credit.

0 Likes
Soran1421

If they were only held for one year, then I would have mine back already. My credit has been acceptable for quite some years now, but each time I have inquired to the first tier support, they had no desire to escalate my "issue" and told me there was nothing they could do. So, the requesting of a supervisor isn't to increase credit, it's to get to someone from Verizon who actually cares.

The reality is that you have to fight for them, I don't  know why you are trying to dismiss my claim when I just went through it.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

Soran1421,

I'm terribly sorry to hear you had so much trouble getting help. That is far too long to wait on a security deposit of all things. Tigerstep is actually correct though that security deposits are supposed to be released after one year. There may be rare circumstances where based on payment issues or other things of that nature they aren't released the first possible time, but that doesn't sound like it applies here and we still would have expected to see it released long before now. Did you get this back? If not, I want to look into it further and see why the deposit isn't showing up for so many people because any agent should be able to easily see that.

AndrewT_VZW

0 Likes
Soran1421

Still have not gotten this back. Got called today after I sent another message for updates. The rep went through and said the internal treasury team can't find record of my payment.

So now I went from multiple reps saying they see it, to their own internal services saying can't find proof. I know what I paid, and now when i'm asking for the refund they once again magically don't find reason to give it back to me. Today's rep like others, said he would try to escalate the issue and get me resolution. My expectations are rather low at this point. Submitted a complaint to the BBB since I don't know what else to do.

This whole experience is just INCREDIBLE, in the worst way.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

I am sorry to hear of the issue you are having Soran1421. I would feel the same in your shoes. Just to clarify, is this for a Verizon Wireless account, or for a FIOS home phone or Internet account?

RosanneM_VZW

0 Likes
Soran1421

This is for a Mobile contract with 2 lines.

I STILL have not gotten this back. My internal request was closed by treasury team stating i never paid a deposit. YEA RIGHT! 

I guess I now have to make my bank dig these records out. You guys are getting charged for any work by the bank.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

Soran1421, with an amount like this in question, I know that I would be anxious to see that money back. I understand that you are now checking records for this deposit on your end and would appreciate if you will send us any details uncovered so we may ensure that you do receive any qualifying security deposit refunds as quickly as possible.

LorenB_VZW If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes