Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Gift card Invalid
easy0123

I bought a $100 verizon giftcard online from verizon.com 

It came in on 04/23/2020 in mail and now when I try to pay my bill online it says Invalid card. i checked the slip that came with the card and the last 4 number on the card they say on the slip doesn't match the card I was sent. This is absolutely unacceptable and borderline fraud. 
I could not get hold of a customer service agent on the phone due to the current situation with lockdown etc. I am here to look for assistance.

Re: Gift card Invalid
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

easy0123, we apologize you're having issues with the Verizon Gift Card you received and can help correct this. What happens when you use the link here: https://www.verizonwireless.com/products/gift-card-balance/#/ to check the balance? 

Please check the numbers on the back of the card itself for accuracy.

AlanS_VZW

0 Likes
easy0123

I get the following error message 

“The Gift Card Number or the PIN used is invalid”

easy0123

Reached out to the customer service department and got transferred around and then finally hung up. I am hoping I get some support here. Is anybody else having the same issue with gift cards bought from Verizon not working?

vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

Thank you for letting us know! For us to take a closer look at your concerns, we've sent you a Private Note! We look forward to working with you further. MatthewI_VZW

0 Likes
tchandra

I am having the exact same problem.  I received a $100 gift card from my daughter for Mother's Day and it's telling me it's invalid also.  spent 3 hours with customer service and received no solution.  I'm on the phone now with a Supervisor.  I'm hoping I can get this resolved.

yepperoni

There is apparently a very stupid bug in the system that chops off the last couple of digits on the slip and does not put the money onto the card properly. If you look closely, the slip is 11 digits and the card is 16. The slip chops off the last 5 digits and only shows 4 from the middle.

The even more absurd solution is that you need to get a customer service rep that knows about the issue, have them file a payment investigation form with the gift card number and payment used to purchase the card, and wait about a week. And after that hopefully the card will be properly activated again. Every gift card since I started purchasing them a couple months ago have been affected by this, and people going back at least 2 years have been affected so I basically gave up hope on having them fix the issue.

What gets me is the sheer number of people affected by this issue if you search "verizon gift card invalid". There's some unrelated rants mixed in, but there's loads of people affected by this. There's also plenty of very smart users on sites like Reddit and Twitter venting but it's like there's nobody at Verizon trying to actually resolve the root cause of this issue and they just manually activate the cards after someone manages to get through the customer support mess.

Call up again, hope you get somebody competent enough to file the form with the proper info (which is apparently not designed for this kind of issue), and hope for the best.

kekillion

I just ordered a gift card in desperation because I had a visa gift card that apparently could not be used. I am having the same issue as you. I received an actual hard copy gift card in the mail tried to use it on the verizon app to pay for part of a bill, even scanning that 16 digit number so as to get it down correctly, and I've been told that it's invalid. This is completely ridiculous and totally unacceptable. 

Everyone keeps passing me onto someone else but there is never anyone that can actually assist with the problem. I tried the gift card assistance line on the back of the card which was given to me by an online chat agent- all it is is a recording where they ask me for the number of the card etc and then report back that the card is invalid. Then I called the customer service number which again the chat person gave me. Again all there is is a recording. I finally went into the app and requested a call back. I am now on the phone with a live person- FINALLY! It's taking them a while to figure out what to do. COMPLETELY unacceptable that a company like Verizon cannot seem to issue gift cards that actually work. it's not rocket science. 

vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

kekillion, 

We are so sorry for the runaround. This is not what we want for you or anyone else. I am glad you got a hold of someone. Were you able to get your issue resolved?

JenelleW_vzw

0 Likes
kekillion

no still no resolution. I am currently on the phone with another agent trying to find a solution.