Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
end of navigation menu
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
***Announcement: We’re excited to inform you that we will be merging the Fios and Wireless Communities to a unified Verizon Community with a new look and feel throughout. If you are interested in what specifically has changed, please see the New Revamped Community article under the Featured Topics.***
Re: Grandfathered unlimited data plan vs. new unlimited data plan
SCOTTI5715

Here is something interesting that happened to me awhile back.  When upgrading one of my kids phones, Verizon accidentally put the upgrade on my phone and took my unlimited plan away.  It was two cycles before I caught it.  Something interesting happened to my usage under the new unlimited plan.  Where I never even went above 2GB with old unlimited plan, under new plan my usage went up to close to 10GB for the two cycles.  I used my phone the same as always, so I questioned how different they must be tracking usage for this to happen.  They could not explain why.  They did grandfather me back and credited difference however as soon as back on old unlimited plan, I again am back under 2GB per month for quite some time now. 

So, I would be more concerned about these caps should I lose my old plan.  Because I am certain they account for data usage differently.  What other explanation can there be?

Anjhindul

Scott, remember the new plan comes with a mobile hotspot, if this was not setup with a password anyone could log onto your net and use it. I would guess, this is what happened.

[Removed]

off topic content removed as required by the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service

Message edited by Verizon Moderator

vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

It's understandable to be concerned when usage changes when on a new plan, SCOTTI5715. Anjhindul provided some great advice on the subject. As the new plan includes mobile hot spot (which your old feature did not), that can change your usage amount, as that feature makes it easy to stream video from a tablet or a computer by connecting to your smart phone. We always encourage you to use our free tools to monitor and review any usage on our network. Here's a link to those tools: http://spr.ly/65868tgkm

LynnD_VZW Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
nubsauce

As far as i can tell. there is no cap on the grandfathered. I've consistently used over 200GB a month for the past 4 years. As that is my only internet where I live. So my phone is my computer. I have never been throttled, nor given a letter saying they will kick me off. I've been a customer of theirs for 20 years now.

0 Likes
Ann154
Expert
Expert

Don't be surprised when you you do get a letter informing you that you are an excessive user and will be required to switch plans or risk being canceled.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
nubsauce

Yeah...then they would have done that at then start of the year... I live where there is no internet. If i lived in NYC where there is internet everywhere and was using that much data, sure, I would understand. However, i dont. And if verizon cared if i used that much data, they would have had trucks out here installing their FiOS internet.

Sattech200

Please contact me if anyone has decided to switch to the new plan and would be willing to transfer me their old grandfathered plan.  It's real easy to transfer it and I'm only looking for one for myself (Unless they have changed those rules also?)

That is the plan I was on since 2012 but recently lost it.  End of July my baby Sisters's Stage 3 breast cancer traveled to her brain and spine...passing away September 18th at age 39.  I ended up having to take care of her full time during that time and wasn't able to work.  My account was suspended on September 22nd for non payment.  On November 4th, six weeks after being suspended, I paid the balance, IN FULL, that was owed on the account.  I was then informed that there was no way to restore services under that plan, not even my phone number.  [Removed]!

I went through a similar situation  back in 2013 when I lost my job and after more then three months  they were able to restore it within minutes.  If there is any doubt about any of this I have no problem providing proof to substantiate it.

inappropriate content removed as required by the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service

Message edited by Verizon Moderator.