Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Grandfathered unlimited vs New unlimited plans
sky301

Been a verizion customer for over 20 years and have been using verision usb modems sine they first came out.  Over the last few years they have ( every store or customer rep have tried to get me to drop it and replace it with a new cheaper plan.  For years i have used about 35-50 g a month but

Been a verizion customer for over 20 years and have been using verision usb modems sine they first came out.  Over the last few years they have ( every store or customer rep have tried to get me to drop it and replace it with a new cheaper plan.  For years i have used about 35-50 g a month but recently have been around 19-23.   Along with being asked to change my plan i have not been allowed to upgrade over 3g speeds because that would start a new plan/contract and would nullify my grandfathered plan so i been in 3 g.   First verizion stops making a 3g usb modem so i had to buy them off ebay for years. My current one has been working fine in windows 10 for the last 5 months but a week ago it would not connect.  After a week of microsoft and verizion tech support, verizion tells me that they no longer support the card i use and there are no plans to update drivers, ie- your card can not be used on our  network again.  i was also told that future usb modems will be very limited if at all because they are being phased out and my only choice was a jet pack modem.  But to get one i would have to drop my grandfathered plan and enter a 2 year New Unlimited  Plan. I have no other options  it says it is the same although i would get 4 g speed for the first 10 gigs and than 3 g the rest that is not really a concern. Also says that with my use i would not have issues about amount of online time and date i use plus it's 50 a month cheaper.  i asked 1 simple question and no one seems be be able to answer it.   You phased me out of my modem with updates or lack of, ok, understand that microsoft does what it wants. But you want me to drop a locked in monthly price for unlimited data and internet for a new plan but no one can tell me if the plan is  a short time thing?  will it be changed a few years down the road with a cap put on it?  future cost changes?  will i be locked into 3g speeds after the first 10G of use forever, if so It's a carp plan for the future when they go to 5-6 or higher g speeds, or any number of issues at the end of the 2 year plan contract.  With the old plan i know what i will be paying 3-5-10 years down the road.  With the new no one can tell me anything past the first 2 year contract plan or upgrades that are included or what is not so it makes it very hard to change.

I was told by 2 different employees that if i sign up for th New Unlimited Plan i would be grandfathered in at that price for the future. But the only real difference is 10gigs or 4 g speed and the rest are the same as my old modem 3 g so not really getting anything with this new plan. Even more so if there are more upgrades in the future who says verizion simply does not support those upgrades like they have with my current usb modem and i am pushed into a " new plan" because the one i picked up is no longer offered or are offered but not for the faster speeds? I'm very confused about what this new plan really is down the road vs what i know is a for sure with my current plan.  But if they keep no longer supporting the devices i use, it leaves me with a plan but nothing to use it on.  Can anyone tell me the down the road costs, speed upgrades , promises or guarantees concerning this new unlimited plan or user changes which may which terminate it?  because right now i just feel like i'm being forced into giving something up which i don't want to for a plan no one can tell me about past the first 2 years aside from a 10 gig 1g speed increase .

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
1 Solution

Correct Answers
Re: Grandfathered unlimited vs New unlimited plans
Elements

Old devices that only support old technologies are always going to gradually be phased out as manufacturers stop producing them to focus on the new technologies. While Verizon probably has no plans at this time to discontinue the Jetpacks or the New Unlimited Plan, 5G technologies will eventually enter the market and new devices focused on 5G will gradually begin to replace the 4G devices on the market, as you've experienced with your 3G device. Nobody can say when this will happen though, since it's controlled by a myriad of factors such as the speed the 5G tech develops and saturates the market, or how much consumers embrace it or continue to cling to 4G devices, just to begin with.

Old devices always eventually become obsolete. Old phones can usually continue to be used for years after they've moved to aftermarket-only, but for devices that interface with desktop computers, such as USB devices, they'll become obsolete much quicker, since the computers they interface with will often be updating regularly, also requiring regular updates to be developed for the USB devices.

In short, nobody will be able to tell you when or if the new plan or Jetpacks will become obsolete until its right around the corner, though I'm sure that, like your current plan, Verizon will let you stay on an old plan they don't offer anymore if you choose to, but may continue to require you change to a modern plan if you want to add modern devices to the account.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Elements

Old devices that only support old technologies are always going to gradually be phased out as manufacturers stop producing them to focus on the new technologies. While Verizon probably has no plans at this time to discontinue the Jetpacks or the New Unlimited Plan, 5G technologies will eventually enter the market and new devices focused on 5G will gradually begin to replace the 4G devices on the market, as you've experienced with your 3G device. Nobody can say when this will happen though, since it's controlled by a myriad of factors such as the speed the 5G tech develops and saturates the market, or how much consumers embrace it or continue to cling to 4G devices, just to begin with.

Old devices always eventually become obsolete. Old phones can usually continue to be used for years after they've moved to aftermarket-only, but for devices that interface with desktop computers, such as USB devices, they'll become obsolete much quicker, since the computers they interface with will often be updating regularly, also requiring regular updates to be developed for the USB devices.

In short, nobody will be able to tell you when or if the new plan or Jetpacks will become obsolete until its right around the corner, though I'm sure that, like your current plan, Verizon will let you stay on an old plan they don't offer anymore if you choose to, but may continue to require you change to a modern plan if you want to add modern devices to the account.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

SKY301,

I definitely understand the need of clarification before making a change with your Verizon data plan. We're dedicated to providing the best options available to you based on your needs. I see that you'd like additional information with regards to the current plan guarantees, costs, upgrades and speeds. At this time, we do not have any information that would indicate or confirm that there will be any changes to the current unlimited data plan after two years. As your concern is based on your current plan not being available with the use of an usb modem, we want to offer you the best solution so that you can continue to utilize the nation’s best network at a lower cost than what you were previously paying with 10 GB of faster speeds than you were previously receiving. Would you like to proceed with the plan change today? Do you have any other questions or concerns that we can assist with?

CoreyM_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Klick01

Be careful..I got switched without permission.. everything got put back but..the new plan was 3 times what j pay now. Rep said, oh I can get u unlimited data. I sd I don't want anything extra, no charges.. nothing..he sd no ma'am, you are loyal customer..yeah right! Had to raise heck to get put back where it was. Have the text from his phone showing that it wasn't supposed to cost me more

0 Likes
KH-Michael

Due to the age of this thread, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

We definitely understand the importance of being properly informed about the price and charges associated with your plan. Although it's great to see your account is back to normal, we want to ask you to please let us know if you still have any pending concerns we may clarify for you. We are here to help.
Also, the following link will provide you with more information about our plans if necessary in the future: https://www.verizonwireless.com/plans/unlimited/
GeovannJ_VZW

0 Likes