Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Get up to $500 when you bring your phone. Plus, get the incredible iPhone 13 Pro on us. Online only. With select 5G Unlimited plans. Ends 12.5. Buy now
end of navigation menu
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
***Announcement: We’re excited to inform you that we will be merging the Fios and Wireless Communities to a unified Verizon Community with a new look and feel throughout. If you are interested in what specifically has changed, please see the New Revamped Community article under the Featured Topics.***
How long does Veriozon keep call and text records?
Nmallington

How far back does Verizon keep call and text records?  How far back does Verizon keep text content records? If a subpoena is obtained, can records be obtained that go further back than this?  If so, how far back, and to what level of detail?

How does this process work?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct Answers
Re: How long does Veriozon keep call and text records?
rcschnoor
Sr. Leader
Sr. Leader

mflandshark wrote:

If you have a court order I think they can get conversations up to 3 months back with the time and numbers involved in the messages. I know that they keep call records for over a year and you can actually see them if you look at your previous bills.

Don't quote me on the 3 months thing but I'm pretty sure because that's how far back you can see the times, dates and number you text online. I would call in if I were you to check on the info and they can tell you.

Verizon texting records which include "content", i.e. the actual conversation, are only available for about 10 days before that information is written over and lost forever, even with a court order. Verizon does not save your texts, they simply deliver them. For what it is worth, even if you lose your phone for a time, have it turned off, etc..., your texts which are not delivered to your device within 5-10 days will not even be delivered as they will have been deleted by Verizon's servers and written over by new incoming texts.

You can get text time and date further back than that, but that is all. Content would have already been deleted further back than 10 days.

View solution in original post

rcschnoor
Sr. Leader
Sr. Leader

Verizon only keeps text content records for around 10 days. After that, those are written over by new information and the old information is lost.

Your call records are available for 18 months online in your MyVerizon account.

0 Likes
Nmallington

Thank-you.

If a subpoena is obtained, can records be obtained that go further back than this?  If so, how far back, and to what level of detail?

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Sr. Leader
Sr. Leader

Verizon bills older than 18 months are available by calling CS and asking them to send you a copy. They will charge you $5/bill you request. The bills should have calling information included in them.

mflandshark
Novice

If you have a court order I think they can get conversations up to 3 months back with the time and numbers involved in the messages. I know that they keep call records for over a year and you can actually see them if you look at your previous bills.

Don't quote me on the 3 months thing but I'm pretty sure because that's how far back you can see the times, dates and number you text online. I would call in if I were you to check on the info and they can tell you.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Sr. Leader
Sr. Leader

mflandshark wrote:

Verizon texting records which include "content", i.e. the actual conversation, are only available for about 10 days before that information is written over and lost forever, even with a court order. Verizon does not save your texts, they simply deliver them. For what it is worth, even if you lose your phone for a time, have it turned off, etc..., your texts which are not delivered to your device within 5-10 days will not even be delivered as they will have been deleted by Verizon's servers and written over by new incoming texts.

You can get text time and date further back than that, but that is all. Content would have already been deleted further back than 10 days.

mflandshark
Novice

Thanks for the clarification!

0 Likes
January23_1962

All of the replies below say the messages are deleted within 10 days

@Nmallington wrote:

How far back does Verizon keep call and text records?  How far back does Verizon keep text content records? If a subpoena is obtained, can records be obtained that go further back than this?  If so, how far back, and to what level of detail?

I just SAW text messages on my verizon online page that I know I deleted nearly a month ago! The problem is, I dont know which buttons I clicked to see them & I cant find them now. Still working on it.

0 Likes
Rigina1

That is the lease of your worries!!  I just found out that Verizon actually records each and every phone call that you make (incoming & outgoing), and they have a separate dedicated team that keeps track of the call recordings.  They are saved in case of a court order or subpoena. Everything you have ever said EVER is saved. 

Customers are not allowed to speak or have contact with this team.  I was told to contact my local police, and have them contact Verizon to stop the recordings!!!  I am literally fudging out!!  I knew there were call logs and text records, but never did I think there were actual recordings of my calls.

You cannot request that they stop recording, and they will not stop with out involving the police or if you hire an Attorney.  

0 Likes
WA0429

how did you hear this.  I called and asked for a voice message and even asked if there was a subpoena if that could be accessible and they said no.  They did say that text content and phone records were accessible.

0 Likes