Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
How to isolate data consumption
caminocielo

We have had the same data plan for a very long time and have managed to live withint the constraints of that plan.  Never had problems with overages.

Last three months I have seen marked increase in data consumption on one phone only and have gone over our allotment twice now.  We are using Verizon Smart Family for tracking but I haven't come across any information that points to that as major data hog.

I have viewed data utilization in the verizonwireless website for both phones sharing the plan and can see punctuated large amounts of consumption by the offending phone.   I don't know how to isolate what seems to be using up all the data.  There is no pattern to the timing or size of data consuption.

Any pointers on how I can get to the bottom of what is blowing up my data plan?

I have spoken to the user of the phone and they are not knowingly streaming video or music and the phone should be connected to wifi when at configured wifi locations.

I'm at a loss as to how to troubleshoot my problem.  Can Verizon supply any more fine grained data than what is available on the website?

Thanks.

0 Likes
Re: How to isolate data consumption
tikibar1
Sr. Leader
Sr. Leader

What phone do they have?  What does the phone's data usage indicate is using the data?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

caminocielo, We always want our customers to be in-the-know of how their data is being used. We can definitely address your inquiry. The good news is that the phones do track data usage independently of our network. It's also important to note that many factors impact data usage as newer phones do much more, more faster and with better technology. So a phone that supports 4K HD video for example or has 3 cameras can use 3x's more data since those photos/videos will have a larger storage size making the data size when uploaded or sent much higher. The data speeds a user receives at different locations also play a factor in how quickly their data is able to be consumed. To view mobile data usage in an Android device, go to settings>network & internet>Data Usage>Mobile App Data Usage. Be sure to set the billing cycle month based on your bill cycle date to obtain the monthly usage detail. You can also view the data that's just used on Wi-Fi in that Data Usage section. For an iPhone, you can view usage under Settings>Cellular>Cellular Data>Current Period (you can also view individual app usage for each app in that section). The user can screenshot that detail to you if you're not at the same location.   

-EbonyR_VZW

0 Likes
mama23dogs

@caminocielo wrote:

We have had the same data plan for a very long time and have managed to live withint the constraints of that plan.  Never had problems with overages.

Last three months I have seen marked increase in data consumption on one phone only and have gone over our allotment twice now.  We are using Verizon Smart Family for tracking but I haven't come across any information that points to that as major data hog.

I have viewed data utilization in the verizonwireless website for both phones sharing the plan and can see punctuated large amounts of consumption by the offending phone.   I don't know how to isolate what seems to be using up all the data.  There is no pattern to the timing or size of data consuption.

Any pointers on how I can get to the bottom of what is blowing up my data plan?

I have spoken to the user of the phone and they are not knowingly streaming video or music and the phone should be connected to wifi when at configured wifi locations.

I'm at a loss as to how to troubleshoot my problem.  Can Verizon supply any more fine grained data than what is available on the website?

Thanks.

Yeah, forget the data utilization tool.   Data use is private. No carrier can tell you exactly what used your data, all they can do is give you general ideas and categories. The best way to tell what data is being used for is to look on the phone, in settings, under data or cellular usage. If you scroll down you will see each application or system and how much data was used.

unless there is a defect in one phone which is possible, instruct the user how much data they can use every month and how to see their data usage. This puts the management in their hands instead of yours.

Some things to consider: has the data use on that one line increased just a little or drastically?   If you are scraping along with an average of 1 GB per user and you're suddenly going over by half a gigabyte, I'm just gonna say stop being a cheapskate and get a bigger plan.  (no offense).  That data plan on a 3g phone or smaller screen, is not going to do on an LTE phone with 6" screen.
    Smart phones are designed to use data. Each generation is designed to use data more efficiently, but only to make a better user experience, not to use less data. The bigger the screens, the higher the resolution, the better the cameras, the better the voice controls, the more data each new generation of phone is going to use.
Personally I work from my phone and so does one of my sons.    I have dealt with pinching pennies and keeping under a low data ceiling in the past. It is not worth the stress.  
  As network an phones move to 5g, data consumption is going to take another leap, like it did between 2013 and 2014.  The combination of LTE devices and the general switch from 3g to LTE devices, and people discontinuing the use of land lines in favor of cellular meant that the United States used twice as much mobile data in 2014 as it did in 2013.  I'm expecting this to happen again as 5g populates   

0 Likes