Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Get up to $500 when you bring your phone. Plus, get the incredible iPhone 13 Pro on us. Online only. With select 5G Unlimited plans. Ends 12.5. Buy now
end of navigation menu
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
***Announcement: We’re excited to inform you that we will be merging the Fios and Wireless Communities to a unified Verizon Community with a new look and feel throughout. If you are interested in what specifically has changed, please see the New Revamped Community article under the Featured Topics.***
Husband died, could not convert/reduce phone plan during pandemic, now phone service interrupted.
Capri27

I hope that someone who reads this letter at Verizon can finally help me.  I am not very optimistic about this method actually working, so I am copying the consumer advocate at News 12 NJ.

The phone plan that I am on is under my husband’s name, and he died in March, 2020.  I have called Verizon numerous times (800-992-0204, 800-837-4966, 888-832-4540), with extremely long wait times, only to be provided with an abundance of misinformation.  I was directed to explain my situation via email and was provided with an address that failed.  Additionally, I visited a local Verizon store with a death certificate, and the employees could not help me reduce the phone plan and change it to my name.  A representative finally told me that I needed to go to one of the corporate stores (Rockaway or Butler), which under this pandemic, have been closed in New Jersey for months.

The representative at the Sparta Verizon store told me that there are much cheaper plans.   I do not need all of the phones that are currently on the plan.  The Verizon store also told me that my husband purchased two new iPhones under a buy one get one deal, and that there was no credit for this reflected on the plan.  I have been an educator for thirty years, and there is no discount reflected in the bill.  

My deceased husband has not used his phones or tablet for 89 days.  I should not have to pay for these unused phone lines!  I am now living on one income and cannot afford a $277 per month phone plan.  My phone service has been interrupted multiple times because I cannot afford to pay the bills in full.  Yesterday, I made a $150.00 deposit toward the bill, but my ability to make outgoing calls remains suspended.  I cannot get a live person on the phone and I am repeatedly being redirected to pay more money! 

I am now a widow and have been treated unfairly by Verizon.  I have taken a preposterous amount of time to convert my husband’s phone plan, without success.  These bills are unsecured debt, creditors can go after my husband’s estate, but there is nothing in it.   I am ready to drop Verizon and look at deals offered by competitors.

0 Likes
Re: Husband died, could not convert/reduce phone plan during pandemic, now phone service interrupted.
Gussie2000

If i were you i'll contact your local consumer protection affairs office and address the situation.

If the CPA doesn't do it contact the FCC and file a complaint. By law verizon must provide you with options to adjust the account accordingly to meet your needs 

0 Likes
Re: Husband died, could not convert/reduce phone plan during pandemic,
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

Capri27,

I'm am terribly sorry for your loss. When losing a loved one, we always strive to make the process to make any needed adjustments easy and it sounds like that is a long way from what has happened here. I can confirm that only a corporate owned store would be able to help with this as stores that are independently owned don't have the sort of access needed, but in most cases we wouldn't need you to go into a store at all. I'm glad to look into why that might have been requested in this case and what steps are needed to solve this once and for all so you can continue enjoying the Verizon network. I have sent you a private message. Please reply when you're able to.

AndrewT_VZW

0 Likes
quarryhome

My recently deceased husband , was owner of our verizon account. I am a manager. I have written you and sent a death certificate as I was told to do by CS. I also have went to the store in thomasville ga. And they followed your directions and faxed a death certificate and the will. Still I have heard nothing back and new bill coming due soon. I am a widow, money is very tight. I need to discontinue his service. Im paying for a dead man's phone for 3 months now! No one is helping me . Please help me to become owner and discontinue his service. I called CS  this morning and they had automated voice saying they cant help. I am getting desperate. This is not right. 

vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

Quarryhome, I am so truly sorry to hear of your recent loss. Truly, no words can express what you are going through especially during a pandemic. I do hope that you have family and friends that are able to be there to help you get through the days. As I want to ensure that we do resolve your concerns, I have sent you a Private Message. Please respond to that message. LorenB_VZW If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!