Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
end of navigation menu
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
***Announcement: We’re excited to inform you that we will be merging the Fios and Wireless Communities to a unified Verizon Community with a new look and feel throughout. If you are interested in what specifically has changed, please see the New Revamped Community article under the Featured Topics.***
I read everywhere that you can bring your own device, but Verzion will not let you WHY
snakn1

Ok , Yes I have a stranger but very valid issue.  So I do not try to hid anything I will give you all the info. I currently have a SBC (raspberry pi kind of bd) that I use on a solar powered weather station that uses a old  Pantech UML295 usb modem , with Unix.  it has worked so far for over 4 years ok but is having issue when it loses the connection. so I wanted to switch to a better option. 

1: it can not be a hotspot (did that tried that)

2: would like to have it as a "HAT" vs usb

ok with that said I first went to the great Amazon forest and picked up a device that says it will work. It was verified to work with ATT ( I used a att sim to test). I tried many times to call and  find someone to help. all of them said even though that device was on the approved devices. ok I gave up and picked up a adaptor for a standard wlan card for a laptop. Again I tried one on the list. I am on my third try now 3 weeks later and still no help. I have a new INC008399008  to add this third one... that was 4 days ago with nor response one way or another..  I have been with version for over 20 years. we will switch to Att or the other one if I can not get this to work with Verizon and because I need all devices on the same network, we (the club) will have to move everyone over (80) users to a different company. The Device has everything required by the Verizon network. it is all about there so-called control factor thinking it is a security risk.. If your system is so bad that you thing a 3-party device can get in to your system then your system is worse than the internet says it is.  No I am not a business user, and I show not need to be for them to add a devices to my account. 

Sorry about the small rant. If this last device will not work can someone please let me know a device I can get that will work. I can use any MINI PCI-E card with my adaptor or any device "hat" that will work on a ARM SBC system. 

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct Answers
Re: I read everywhere that you can bring your own device, but Verzion will not let you WHY
snakn1

ok all fixed. I called ATT and switched everything is working faster and better now. 

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: I read everywhere that you can bring your own device, but Verzion will not let you WHY
acraftylady2

Many people bring their own device without issue.  Sounds like you are not using the normal smart phone.  You can check the IMEI of any device you want to bring over.  Note if it's not a verizon branded phone some verizon features won't work. 

https://www.verizon.com/od/prepaid/bring-your-own-device/#/selectDeviceType

0 Likes
snakn1

Thank you for the quick reply, the only thing is IMEI number is a serial or "MAC" id of the device. It does not tell you the device name or chipset. The device I have is not a smart phone it is not a phone at all it is a SBC data device. I am aware of the link you sent. the only issue I have is I have to buy the device first hoping it will work. I have to wait to get it look it up and it does not show up. I have to call wait for over 45 minutes each time to find a tech who at least know what I an doing then they say they can not get a hold of the team who adds the new devices because they are all remote and have a very poor internal network ( there words not mine). My devices I buy all have the Verizon's required specs. Band 1 - 2100MHz Band 2 - 1900MHz Band 3 - 1800MHz Band 4 - 1700MHz Band 5 - 850MHz Band 7 - 2600MHz Band 13 - 700MHz Band 17 - 700MHz Band 18 - 850MHz Band 20 - 800MHz Band 28 - 700MHz Band 29 - 700MHz Band 12 - 700MHz Band 30 - 2300MHz Band 66 -2100-2200Mhz Band 14 - 700MHz for LTE service and they are on the list of the approved devices https://opendevelopment.verizonwireless.com/design-and-build/approved-modules  But they are not on the IMEI list.. If I was a business they will add it without question as long as they meet the specs and on there list above.  ( I know because I was a national account manager for 17 years with a very large co ) but as a normal consumer you have to beg and plead for anyone to even talk with you as they are stuck in there own remote little shell at home with no real tear 3 support they can easily contact and as soon as you let them know it is not a phone, it is a computer (laptop) whatever I say other than a smartphone, they seem to be clueless. 

Again I am getting on the bad side of my mind. I am just fed up with knowing that what is needed can be done with a few key clicks but they are so locked up in there process they are not allowed to help. 

0 Likes
acraftylady2

Maybe you will have to find a different carrier that will work with your device.  Probably waisting your time contacting CS as it will be over their head what you are wanting to do and if the device will work.  

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We understand your concern and want to help in the best way. We've sent you a private message to better assist you. We'll be standing by! ~Christian

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

Thank you for those details, snakn1. Without an IMEI, we won't be able to work with that device. Our apologies for the inconvenience. 

~Baldo

0 Likes
snakn1

I tried the link in the private message and it did not work I gave the IMEI number the reply to that private message.  It is also on your ticket number that I did give out on this post. 

0 Likes
snakn1

the IMEI is *****   it is on a MC7700 chipset from sierra 

0 Likes
acraftylady2

The IMEI you gave says not compatible on verizon.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

Thank you for the details and for the IMEI number. When checking the device ID on our BYOD page we do get a message that it is not compatible. You can check the device using this link. https://www.verizon.com/od/prepaid/bring-your-own-device/#/selectDeviceType  ~Roger

0 Likes