Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Legitimate text or spam?
runandwrite

I am getting a message every morning from 900080004007 that reads "VZW FREE MSG: Action required on 1086910 to avoid cancellation." I have been trying to figure out if this A) is a legitimate text message or some kind of phishing scheme (if it's the latter, it's a really bad one, as there is no instruction on how to respond) and B) what it is asking me to do if it is legitimate. I don't know what 1086910 is and I don't know kind of action I am supposed to take.

I went through Verizon's automated question-and-answer service which suggested I report the message as spam and/or block the number, so I reported as spam and heard nothing back. I can't block the number, as Verizon's number blocking is restricted to 10-digit numbers.

Can anyone tell me what I should do about this?

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Likes
Re: Legitimate text or spam?
Ann154
Expert
Expert

The number where the message was sent from is a valid Verizon Wireless number used for their free messages about your account or service. What they are referring to however is unknown to me.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Re: Legitimate text or spam?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

runandwrite,

Messages like that would concern me too. We want to make sure you get the support you need and these messages stop. I sent you a PM. Please respond when you're able to so that we can figure this out.

AndrewT_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes