Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
end of navigation menu
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Limit data usage - router does not offer this - need a work around
PJATTHELAKE

Can you please let me know how to add computers, tablets for limit data usage so my kids don't use up all my gig per month?  thank you please answer asap since I need to determine a software today.     I also pay for family plan but there has to be a way even through router or if necessary family plan cover 10 devices how done if not paying Verizon for computer tablets.

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct Answers
Re: Limit data usage - router does not offer this - need a work around
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

PJATTHELAKE, we understand your concern. Family Base, Safety Mode and other features work specifically with devices on your account. We are not able to limit the usage on a Verizon Router, or on devices such as laptops and tablets not connected to Verizon. We apologize for the inconvenience and we definitely understand wanting to keep the usage under control. The only option would be to limit the number of devices that can connect to the router using your Router Main home page.

JavierMD_VZW Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport If my response answered your question please click the Correct Answer button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

Limiting data usage is a fantastic way to avoid unnecessarily high expenses.  May I ask how you are currently accessing the internet on those devices?

MatthewT_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
PJATTHELAKE

so far Verizon wants to know what I come up with lol!!!!   going to see available router has to be to limit data usage then add on to Verizon 4g lte router anyone find any info please let me know only via Verizon familybase I already pay for but not going to pay for other 5 in house

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

We want to make sure that no unwanted usage occurs. Can you please provide the model of router you are using?

HarleyE_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Sr. Leader

Your post is a little unclear.  Do you have home wifi through a cable internet provider? or are you limited to a wifi hotspot (Which isn't a router in the conventional sense)

Home internet services have a much higher data cap and lower per gig price.  Cellular data is not a good replacement for home internet service for that reason.

If you need to limit kids, you might seriously change to the New Verizon plan with the safe mode to cap usage.

0 Likes
Weth
Sr. Leader

Yes, please describe how you are connecting to Internet and what router you are using.  Does this router connect to Verizon?  If so how? 

0 Likes
PJATTHELAKE

As I said its Verizon Router - and most people in cities have unlimited.  So people live out further do not have that luxury so we are limited to gigs and I don't trust my kids a bit - one ran it up to $4000

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Sr. Leader

So that answered your question? 

Verizon provides fios internet, or wifi hotspots, it seems you have the later.   To limit use you probably need to consider the New Verizon plan which caps your use at your paid data plan and slows internet to 2 G speed.

You can also turn off data on your kids lines with Family base parental controls.  It has a monthly fee, but it's way less than $4000

0 Likes
PJATTHELAKE

You can set a data limit usage via family base (Ie. 2 gig) but that does not take care of your laptops, tablets and other devices that are not directly connected via your Verizon family base.  That is also and additional expense for each device.  I believe there is one router out there that you can attach to the Verizon router 4G that you can subdivide accurate data usage through router IP addresses without paying for each individual device at another monthly cost to limit on family base which doesn't give you ultimate technical advantages.

0 Likes
PJATTHELAKE

4G - still unable to find way to make actually data usage limit - not time limits but data usage without adding another 20 devices around the house to be on Verizon extra $$$ and then include family base which I already have.

0 Likes