Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
end of navigation menu
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Locked Account
BodegaGirl1948

My father-in-law is almost 99 years old.  My husband, his oldest son, and I had to move him into a residential care facility the beginning of this year.  We live a great distance from him.  He still has his cell phone, but my husband, and me in a supporting role, are managing all of his accounts.  My husband has a durable power of attorney, and his now the acting trustee.  We have been able to obtain access to all of my father-in-law's accounts, except for Verizon.  My father-in-law set up an online Verizon account several years.  He listed an email that is invalid.  His account is now locked.  My husband submitted a copy of the durable power of attorney via email to Verizon accompanied with a cover letter, and he received an email stating he was now the account manager of his father's account and to call customer service to for access to make necessary changes.  My husband, and then I, spent two- and one-half hours yesterday with a customer service representative.  The representative was totally confused and, in his confusion, asked to speak with me and the representative did something to my husband's and my account and basically made it non-working.  (It took me yesterday and today to get it working again.)  He finally transferred me to another telephone number, and I got disconnected.   My husband tried twice last night to do a chat, and after waiting 15 minutes for an agent, and another 15 minutes while they fumbled around, he got disconnected.  He again tried four times today, disconnected three times, like last night, and the fourth agent said my husband had to go to a Verizon store to obtain access.  So, we have made an appointment with our nearest Verizon store over 30 miles from us, and we "hope" we will be able to have access to my husband's father's account.  All of this is actually a summary.  There are too many hours of wasted time and incompetence by agents to write about.  All agents tell us, we are protecting the customer's privacy.  They have protected it into our not having access and being able to keep the account accurate.  This has been a nightmare!  I want to file a complaint!!

0 Likes
Re: Locked Account
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

@BodegaGirl1948 , Thank you for reaching out and for providing us this feedback. Your time is valuable to us, and this is never the experience that we want you to have. The store will be able to access the account with an ID, and if the power of attorney has been email, and he is an account manager you will have no issues. Please keep us posted, we want to make sure you are provided with a solution. 

~Gina

0 Likes
Reset Password with Email
BodegaGirl1948

I am unsure whether or not my first post was posted, as the Verizon website has had problems.  I am the account manager for my father's account.  My durable power of attorney was submitted and approved.  I have confirmed that I am the account manager and that my email is the email of record.  I have been trying to reset my father's password to login into his account.  My only options are to send a text message to my father's phone or to have instructions sent to my mailing address.  My father lives 200 miles from me, he does not text and his hearing is very bad.  I selected to have the instructions mailed to me.  It has been three weeks and nothing.  Chats and phone calls are a waste of time.  I went through the executive office for consumer relations just to have my information confirmed and was told I could login.  Not!  I cannot get that person to respond to my email; do they only call when I am in a meeting?  I have made an appointment at a corporate store 30 plus miles from me.  I really do not have the time, but I am at a loss of what to do.  This has been very time consuming, and besides Verizon, the only other business I have had this problem with is Comcast/Xfinity.  I've not had any problem with Social Security and less problems with the banks, who are well-known for lots of red tape.  Please advise.

0 Likes
Re: Reset Password with Email
acraftylady2

Is there no one that visits your Dad that could be there when the text message comes through to relay the code to you?  Seems to me thst would be the easiest solution.  

0 Likes
BodegaGirl1948

My father lives in a residential care facility.  He is almost 99 years old.  A lot of the time, he either does not know where his phone is, or it isn't charged.  The facility staff have too much to do to help with this issue.  My father has only one friend who visits with him, and she is also elderly and not a tech person.  Since my father sometimes manages to call his friend, we do not want to remove his phone.  Thank you for your suggestion.  

0 Likes
acraftylady2

Only other thing is to take time and go there to visit.  I was fortunate my elderly Mom was in a facility around the corner from me so could go every day to check on things. 

0 Likes
BodegaGirl1948

Thank you, but my father does not have Internet service, nor does the residential facility have Internet service.  The code that is sent is only "active" for a short time.  Since no one else has offered a suggestion, especially any Verizon representatives who supposedly monitor these postings, I will keep my appointment for tomorrow afternoon at the corporate store.  If they are unable to help me, it may be time to pull Verizon's plug.  I have read post by several customers who have had similar problems and poor customer service.  I had one customer state that she was told that it would be easier for her to become the account manager instead of her husband, if he was dead.  She had power of attorney.

0 Likes
acraftylady2

Ok so he only has a flip phone and not a smart phone?  Did he not have to set up an email address for the account?  I can have the code sent to my email .  Can you not get into the email that was set up?   Wow, have never been in a facility that didn't have free wifi for residents and guests.  Learn something new about places around the country.

0 Likes
BodegaGirl1948

Thank you.  My father does have a smart phone, but with no Wi-Fi, there isn't any way I can use the code to reset the password.  I have already tried to get Internet access with both his phone and his computer, but no dice.  The email that was used to set up the account is an invalid email.  I do not know how that email got listed, as my father did not ever have that email address.  Verizon will not budge on the email, but supposedly, my email is now on the account, as I am the account manager.  I appreciate your time, but I have spent hours on live chats and telephone calls.  The people are incompetent, or to be fair, are probably poorly trained.  If you are not the account manager, you do not exist as far as Verizon is concerned.  Even if you are the account manager, if you did not set up the account, there are always more hoops to jump through.  Verizon is not a user-friendly company.

0 Likes
acraftylady2

I am confused why you need wifi?  I have done password resets over 4G.  They text me a link, I click the link and reset the password.  I guess I am not understanding the problem since you need wifi to do what ever it is, never heard of that.  I would go to that email provider and try a password reset to get in.  Someone must have set that up years ago and you didn't know it.  

0 Likes